• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Three Gold 20 francs

80° F difference from here to there . I’ll go from swimming to ice skating.

Came down to help sister. Got to look through her French grandma’s coin box collections. I learned France made some silver coins 1960-1969: the 5 franc. They did a 50 franc silver also.

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Came down to help sister. Got to look through her French grandma’s coin box collections. I learned France made some silver coins 1960-1969: the 5 franc. They did a 50 franc silver also.
You're probably thinking of the 10 Francs coin. From 1965 through 1973 it was a 10F piece with the classic Hercules design. Then in 1974 it became 50 F. Pretty much same design.

The 10F was 25 grams of 90% silver and the 50F was bumped up to 30 grams of 90%. Really nice coins, feel great in hand. Some of my favorite foreign silver issues.

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
Thanks stas3000, I was putting them in the clad/interesting pile until I searched them. These 5F coins are less than sterling purity and about a third oz ASW
Too bad none of the Hercules coins
Oh right, there were 5F and 10F silver pieces struck by the French in the 1960's. The "sower" is a nice coin too but the Hercules is, in my personal opinion, more interesting. And yes, you're right, the 5F piece has the then-normal French "coin silver" composition of .835 fine. There was a time when France would make the "sower" in 50 Centimes denom. and up. Pretty cool coins too.

P.S. Apparently in 1864 all silver coins of France except the 5 franc piece were debased from 90% to 83.5% silver without the weights changing.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
That's a really good price KnowWhy...

Thanks stas
It was an interesting example of debasement looking at coins just a few years difference changing only composition around WWII. Like our steel cents. some coins minted under German occupation look very plain. My neck hurts from staring at coins last night, lol

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
If the 5F silver pieces are about VF/XF in terms of grade, i.e. average circulated, then they are probably worth $7-8 apiece. If they are super shiny and uncirculated then probably more. Unfortunately, those coins don't move very well. Mintages were insane (some years over 40 million!) so they are considered very common.

If you need help with your foreign coins feel free to send me a PM.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I will get some pics! Funny some coins I could not read because of the wear, but take a picture with a modern cell phone and the date is legible.

thankfully my sister is realistic about the value. I’ve showed a lot of sold items on eBay and factor in the sell costs/risks to get an idea of what to expect.
Thank you for the offer of help and I will be sure to get some pictures this evening. It’s not a large collection, maybe 2 thousand mainly in metal value, but fun to see some European coins I’d never hold otherwise.

got a sample of pictures. It was fun going through. Lots of worn coins, some with gunk.

Attachments