• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Traveling soon, with loaded AR’s?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
I do have my CCW.

Since the cops are no longer protecting anyone I’m thinking about taking AR’s for myself and the passenger. My state is fine with loaded rifles but I dunno about Nebraska, Missouri, F Illinois, Indiana Kentucky and Ohio. Travel will be through some of the notorious shithole olympics winners.

I know Illinois expects everyone to be defenseless. Unloaded and locked away in that dump.

What about the rest of em?

wallew

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
go online and look up 'ccw' or 'chl' websites.

IF THEY ALLOW CCW/CHL, chances are high you may be able to keep the AR? LOADED? That is something to check on these websites that tell you if you have reciprocity with a state that also allows CCW/CHL.

There are several sites that will give you this info. You just have to look.

good luck.

MrLucky

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I have a similar issue but no CCW. Moving a collection from the east to the midwest. Crossing about a dozen states in the process. Maybe I'll just put them in the moving truck in with the furniture.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
go online and look up 'ccw' or 'chl' websites.

IF THEY ALLOW CCW/CHL, chances are high you may be able to keep the AR? LOADED? That is something to check on these websites that tell you if you have reciprocity with a state that also allows CCW/CHL.

There are several sites that will give you this info. You just have to look.

good luck.

I had already did that. The question stems from the term "handgun" in the laws. Therefore, I question whether or not a loaded rifle would fall under those same rules. I think I found a fix for my dilemma. The CCW websites do not seem to think about packing a rifle in a car and have little to say about it.

It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

FunnyMoney

Silver Member
Silver Miner
You're looking for trouble. Stay at home and shelter in place. (just kicking)

But seriously, why stick your neck out. Save your ammo for the future and that of your children. Right now the mob mentality is at a 3rd grade level if that. Never argue with an idiot - just in case you do go.

I'm not sure why you have to go there, but I don't think now is a good time to travel across states with those items. Good luck and let us know how it goes if/as you make your way through those places.

Last edited:

itsamess

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Just put a magnetic BLM sticker when you get close to said shyt holes. You will be cheered through.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I have a similar issue but no CCW. Moving a collection from the east to the midwest. Crossing about a dozen states in the process. Maybe I'll just put them in the moving truck in with the furniture.
NOT a private company mover(s) unless in a big ass securely strapped safe. You may as well have the driver hold your gold & silver while In route.

If I was moving I'd secure all weapons I am not personally carrying on my body secured and locked. I'd drive and set the cruise control at the speed limit of every locale and state.
Watch out for Arkansas. POSTED at the state line "The Posted Speed Limits are THE SPEED LIMIT".
Any speed higher is a Traffic Offense. Arkansas has no grace or allowances over. Word to the Wise

Tbonz

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
My understanding is that you can keep the weapons in the back of your vehicle unloaded and ammo locked up in a separate box. Even though you are traveling through states that are anti-gun you still have the right to transport them through the state. You can look it up, but it is totally legal, you just need to make sure that they are properly secured.

SilverCity

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
CCW is a handgun that you had to qualify with and in my state is caliber specific. I qualify with a 45 ACP pistol which allows me to CC any pistol of lesser caliber. It does not include a revolver unless specified on the permit. YMMV

Loaded ARs across state lines? Good luck

SC

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Here's the answer to ALL states:

Black powder pistols. <-- They do not count as firearms. TINS, Pilgrims. Replica antique black powder revolvers count as "antique" and are legal.

TN_Preacher

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Here's the answer to ALL states:

Black powder pistols. <-- They do not count as firearms. TINS, Pilgrims. Replica antique black powder revolvers count as "antique" and are legal.
Unca, that's generally true, but I know in NJ they count black powder and even BB/pellet guns as firearms. I suspect they forgot about super soakers when they made those rules.

If you have an AR that is built (by ATF rules) as a pistol, that could then be carried in those CCW states that have reciprocity. Of course it might be a bit hard to conceal :)

SheepDog68

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Some states don’t allow for a loaded rifle because of DNR hunting regulations regarding poaching! When I lived in one of those states I built an AR pistol since with a CCW a loaded pistol was perfectly acceptable!

This covers your needs while staying within the law!

SD

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
CCW is a handgun that you had to qualify with and in my state is caliber specific. I qualify with a 45 ACP pistol which allows me to CC any pistol of lesser caliber. It does not include a revolver unless specified on the permit. YMMV

SC
Texas used to be if you qualified for concealed carry with a revolver, you could only carry a revolver and not a semi-auto. They did away with that and now you can carry revolver or semi, concealed or open.

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++

SC
That's state specific.

As mentioned by Sheepdog, a friend loaned me his AR pistol. I'm cherry. Here in a bit I will post a link to the Ill(i)noise law. Basically you may travel through and you do not have to declare but, it is best that you do not stop for any reason as you do not want it to look like Ill(i)noise was a destination. I refuse to buy anything in that state so no problem.

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
This is the thread that never should have been existed.

Tell us AFTER the move, not beforehand.

Or better yet, don't tell us at all, because we are not the only ones here.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
GIM Hall Of Fame
Gas up in Iowa if heading east or Indiana if heading west so you never stop in the peoples republic of ill-annoy.
We fill up in the south west corner of Michigan and don't stop until Iowa when we head west.

Casey Jones

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The idiocy is in the liberal, "Organized" cities.

Outside, the various State Police/Highway Patrol units are doing what they always do. With an eye on agitators moving from city to city.

That means, of course, your out-of-state tags invite more scrutiny. You may be stopped, for nonsensical reasons, like a side-marker light out. And then the cop may want to "investigate" your "cargo."

I don't think on the Interstates you're at any serious risk from the self-hating white Snowflakes. You WILL be at risk from the alerted, militarized State Police units.

I'd ship them with your furniture. Do NOT mark cartons (this is commonsense, but while it's convenient, sometimes it can be a problem). Make a note separately, of where you packed your ammo.

I went through this. I took a new job and packed all my goods up for the move. It was to take three weeks for the purchase of my new house to close.

Murphy was on the job. EVERYTHING went wrong; the house sale fell through, I found my new job moving me all over, so I couldn't even sign a lease, much less buy a home. I eventually left that job and took another; and then another after that. The Hussein Recovery.

It was six years before I got a permanent place to stay, and my firearms were AWOL. I couldn't remember where I put them. And as it happened, most of my saved furniture went up for auction anyway. What a difference six years makes...

But I found them, hidden, where I put them, in a desk that was almost loaded on the truck to the auctioneer's.

But, to the question...right now, IMHO, the risk of carrying firearms is greater than the risk not-carrying firearms, if you avoid major metro regions.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Christ. It sickens me... but I must agree with that last sentence.

What has happened to my America, where I had the right at 9 years of age to buy a J.C. Higgins .22 rifle and a box of ammo?

And DID so!

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think you are over thinking this. If you are just traveling, as in visiting family, doing business, or vacationing, and not going to do a major drug deal, handguns should be adequate for self defense if you are practicing situational awareness.

Do you really think you need to travel like you are going into a battle? If so, you need an armored vehicle, flat proof tires, full body armor, .50 cal weapons, napalm, smoke grenades, and every other offensive and defensive weapon and device you can get your hands on.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I think you are over thinking this. If you are just traveling, as in visiting family, doing business, or vacationing, and not going to do a major drug deal, handguns should be adequate for self defense if you are practicing situational awareness.
I kinda agree with Silver on this. When I go out or take the family on vacation I C.C. a high capacity 9mm, and take two more full 15-17 shot magazines for back-up.
True the average gunfights are usually 30 seconds +/- a few ticks.
But as the saying goes "A pistol / sidearm is to help you get to your rifle or shotgun".
If 45+ rounds of ammo do not get me home I'm in a war zone already.
He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day. ( Most of the time).

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Plan for the worst, hope for the best. My biggest fear is getting trapped on an interstate and will be fine clearing a path out if necessary. Not likely for 1150 of 1250 miles but there is a possibility in those 100 miles. Trip East was uneventful but I see the MSM is trying to incite a race war again. I suppose we will see how the trip back to the west is next week.

I’d usually fly but the whole world is putting on a show for their shit.