• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Van Allen Mallis, Anyone Here Collect Them (VAM's)

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Caught my interest some time ago, the VAM's, both Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars and the categorizastion into die pairings, what a task, and they've produced quite a log of pairings with the errors and markings noted, that go along with the characteristics of each die

Each VAM is designated with an Interest and a Rarity number that help the collector to determine what's 'rare' and what isn't. Plenty of photos and reference material available and along with other sources a collector can buy software programs that will help determine the VAM of a particular coin.

These lists are updated regularly with new relevant information and the VAM's are further split down into categories:
Top 100, Hot 50, etc...

PCGS and NGC only label the 'categorized' coins and not all coins while ANACS designates them all.

is anyone here collecting these coins?

I've got a few that I'm going to 'figure out' and may even send a few into Verislab to see if they're worth keeping...

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I don’t collect ‘em, there are way too many. Would probably sell any if I ever found some. 2c.

R.

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
VAM World is a great reference source, as far as 'too many', LOL, that's an understatement

Here's a list that comes up on their home page:
Morgan Dollar Lists

there are collectors of the various fakes(Privately Made) that circulated in real time, when Morgans were used as money.

There were fakes no one knew about until these guys got involved in cataloging the die pairings and
some of the Fakes have been given VAM numbers...

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I have recently begun looking at these, particularly Morgan silver dollars.

Although I had no prior knowledge of these coins, they are very well documented by several collecting groups and indexed by code numbers.

The indexing of all the varieties is done seamlessly for slabbed coins, and with a little effort, you can look at the price history of each variety, just like any basic type/year/mint mark combination.

If I am ever fortunate enough to get one at a good price, I'll post here again...

Last edited:

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
it's an addiction i've discovered that is both satisfying and has increased my knowledge about 'mint mistakes' and their types of 'mistakes'

i was once going to gather all the 'detailed' VAM coins I could find, all had to be labeled as VAM, these coins are all over the place.

People submitting coins for VAM designation and they don't understand the dinged rim, the scratch, the 'cleaning' the coin has undergone...these all give the label that 'detail' or 'genuine' feature...those are really cheap to shop, but, that didn't seem to be what I really wanted...Detailed coins don't usually go up in value, so, I sold all I had and started over with 'non-detailed' VAM coins...

and, while looking for these, there are lots of other interesting items that come up:
1591194743972.png

it's something different

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Here is my winning bid for an 1878-s VAM-50 Morgan Dollar, graded at AU50 by NGC:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1878-Morga...tem54850cd9c8:g:2jgAAOSwVhNevd~b&LH_Auction=1

I was prepared to bid up to $64.80 for the coin, but my actual price was $5.80 below my maximum bid (and I also got the 5% eBay Bucks bonus).

Based on my price estimate, the fair market value of the coin is around $90.

These auctions for VAM Morgan dollars have a very different feel from those for common date Morgan dollars in MS63 or MS64 condition, where crowds of bidders converge on every nice-looking coin and compete to see who comes out on top.

It almost seems as if my preparation in estimating the price gives me an unfair advantage for these coins, although my gut feeling tells me I should not buy too many of them.

I guess a profitable sale of the coin will be justification for buying another one...

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've learned to shop the coin, the grade, then VAM, generally in that order.

Population report of 24 certified for that coin you bought, nice purchase, so, if you want to challenge yourself, buy the next coin, lower mintage, higher grade, VAM certified, for less than what you paid for this coin...lather rinse and repeat

I do that with anything I collect, when I'm tired of it, I've got a lower 'cost in' to factor as I 'exit out'

i'm not certain, because VAM's are so 'specific', i'm not sure where I'll go with what i have, unless and until any of my kids show an interest, i'll lay claim to 'they're not interested', and that's no big deal...so, i'll probably have 'em tossed into the ground with me :)
in the mean time:
i'll just keep hooking them in when i see 'em at a good price and see where i'm at, at the 'end of the day'

i've got some that populate out at 1 / 1, some that ANACS hasn't even listed...means i've got the only one...Kennedy's 40% errors are that way also, i've mined a few and have a First Reported and a few others where, if I told someone, my name could be in a book somewhere for being the 'finder'

i've held back on that until i'm ready...maybe let my kids do that, all i gotta do is set up the paper trail

eh, it 'solves my ocd' and coins have inspired me to search for more history than I was ever taught in school, and for that:
Thank You!

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Unfortunately, I have encountered some difficultly with the seller's payment process.

I found out this morning that the seller is not using PayPal to process eBay payments, and he wants the order to be paid through Venmo. Of course, I will not pay for the order with Venmo, as there is no way to guarantee delivery that way.

That means that even though eBay accepted my credit card payment, it was not actually charged because there was no PayPal account to process the payment. So the order will stay in limbo with no credit card charge and no delivery of the item, until something else happens.

EDIT:
The seller did not want to use PayPal, so the order was canceled.

Last edited: