• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Wanted: 1-2 sets of sterling silverware

ctrl-z

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
I would like to buy or trade for some "using" silverware. Not looking for plated. I am going to eat my dinner with them so I don't want anything rare or special. I don't even care if they match.

Not sure what is at the bottom of the pond, but I do know I have some gim rounds both formats, bull and Constitution. I would be willing to trade, but frn's work as well.

So, let me know what you got.

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
Watching this too. I also am interested in a set.
Chris

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
You know? I like the idea of possessing 'the family silver' Put me on that list too fellow Gimers

ctrl-z

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
I thought about it, and almost did. But I decided it would probably be best to just post in here. I don't know

In fact I've been meaning to pick up some silver silverware for over 10 years and his post is what gave me the impetus to go and actually do this so good either way.

Wasn't there a member here trying to sell some recently inherited Sterling? Bman33. Perhaps contact him/her?

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Estate and tag it sales............... Talk to them and tell them to keep their eyes open.

Juristic Person

They drew first blood
Platinum Bling
Same. I’m interested

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
A client of mine showed me a 12 piece set of Francis 1 by Reed and Barton. Said she was thinking of selling because the kids had no use for it and couldn't find any takers. It was given to her from her mother and she wants someone to use them. I told her I could find top dollar. Over 1800 grams not counting the weighted pieces. She has decided now that she doesn't want to sell. Was nice to see such a complete set.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I thought I had one. Guess not. Just plated. It is interesting though. I forgot all about this til this post came up. I'm trying to figure out the pattern and when it was made. WM rogers manufacturing from Meriden Ct. Has the "IS" mark on it so was make after 1890. They were bought out by International Silver in 1890. The closet pattern I have found thus far is from 1951. My guess is this is from the mid to late 50's.
fullsizeoutput_b5.jpeg
DSC_0231.JPG

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Those top and bottom flaps fold in. Just fabric. Then the entire set has a try fold and snaps upon closing like a book.
The label and pie server look to be add on I think.. No slots for them in the set.

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
What is a ballpark going price for a set?

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

ctrl-z

Seeker
Seeker
Site Supporter ++
I would kind of hate to do it to a nice complete set, but with all the interest in this thread, it might be something to think about...

Breaking up a set, each interested party getting one serving. Well however many they are after.

Thoughts?

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I would kind of hate to do it to a nice complete set, but with all the interest in this thread, it might be something to think about...

Breaking up a set, each interested party getting one serving. Well however many they are after.

Thoughts?
Since I'm 3rd in line I have no choice but to agree with that idea :dduck:

Rip Van Winkle

Silver Miner
Seeker
I would like to buy or trade for some "using" silverware. Not looking for plated. I am going to eat my dinner with them so I don't want anything rare or special. I don't even care if they match.

Not sure what is at the bottom of the pond, but I do know I have some gim rounds both formats, bull and Constitution. I would be willing to trade, but frn's work as well.

So, let me know what you got.
I have some Stirling spoons 2 of them are sugar spoons. Found these at goodwill in the silverware section
IMG_20200913_080253__01.jpg

JayDubya

pies klasy robotniczej
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
ctrl-z, chrisflhtc & Juristic Person,
Check your inbox.
I sent each of you a PM regarding FIVE 4 piece place settings I have available.
the_shootist already got back to me.

chrisflhtc

Seeker
Sr Site Supporter
Replied to you JD

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
This is a very dangerous thing you're looking for. There are so many beautiful and historic patterns out there that settling on 1 or 2 is impossible. At least it was for me. I could never understand why there weren't more collectors of this stuff. it's so interesting to really use a valuable piece of history rather than buying bullion and stacking it in the corner. Whats better is that since the demand is relatively low, you can get flatware at around melt for a really nice set. Smaller sets are usually below melt. I have noticed though in recent years, there is a bit more interest in flatware. There are many more craigslist vultures out there. good luck.