• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

well I'll be darned, NASA again

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
they sure do have a wonderful imagination

NASA craft 'touches' sun for 1st time, dives into atmosphere​

Wed, December 15, 2021, 2:01 PM

In April, a NASA spacecraft officially "touched" the sun, going through the unexplored solar atmosphere. Scientists just announced the news Tuesday, since it took months to receive the data and confirm.

BarnacleBob

Exoriare aliquis nostris ex ossibus ultor
Founding Member
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of this one too....

Scorpio

Разыскиваются украинские блондинки
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
as further evidence of their tenacity at dreaming up new science fiction,

Nasa's Perseverance Mars rover finds its 'baseline' rocks​

Jonathan Amos - BBC Science Correspondent
Wed, December 15, 2021, 8:33 PM

Rover

Perseverance is drilling rocks and storing samples for later return to Earth laboratories
Nasa's Mars rover Perseverance has identified what are probably the oldest rocks at its crater landing site.
They are volcanic in origin, perhaps the product of some ancient lava flow.
It's an important milestone for the mission because it means that when samples of these rocks are returned to Earth next decade, they can be dated.
This will tighten our understanding of the history of not only the touch-down location but of Mars generally and the wider Solar System beyond.
- ADVERTISEMENT -
Science team-member Briony Horgan, from Purdue University, said the identification represented a "really, really big deal".
Dipping rocks

Séítah's layered, dipping rocks were thought initially to be sedimentary in origin
Perseverance dropped into Jezero Crater in February.
This deep depression had been chosen as the destination because it appeared in satellite images to contain a delta - a structure built up from the silt and sand dumped by a river as it enters a wider body of water, such as a lake.
It's the kind of geological feature that just might record traces of past microbial life on Mars billions of years ago.
The rover didn't land on the delta itself but on the surrounding terrain - on the floor of the crater.
It's here that the robot has found its baseline rocks.
Perseverance was commanded to examine two broad areas: one dubbed the "Fractured Rough", the other nicknamed "Séítah" (meaning "amidst the sand" in the Navajo language).
Map

This double map shows the position of the rover at Séítah. The left frame has conventional colours. The right frame has been colourised to illustrate the preponderance of olivine (red) and two types of pyroxene (green and blue)
The scientists' immediate impression of the latter was that its rocks were sedimentary in origin - that is, they were the compressed accumulation of mineral particles deposited either in water or by the wind. This view was reinforced by the obvious layering.
But the mission team got something of a shock when Perseverance started drilling into Séítah and examining its geochemistry in detail.
Instruments detected lots of olivine crystals engulfed and surrounded by the mineral pyroxene.
Geologists describe what Perseverance saw as a cumulate texture, said Kelsey Moore from the California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
"And the reason that that's important is that a cumulate texture is very indicative of a specific type of igneous rock that forms as a very thick magma body is cooling, and the olivine crystals crystallise and sink and then the pyroxene forms around those olivine crystals," she explained.
Caltech colleague and Perseverance project scientist Ken Farley added: "So this appears to be a product that was either intruded into or erupted into the crater, or flowed in from outside. One potential explanation is that there was a phase in which there was a lava lake in the crater and it was filled with magma."
Rover diagram

Rover diagram
The team knows Séítah to be older than the Fractured Rough (also probably volcanic in origin) because Séítah can be seen in ground-penetrating radar images to dip under the Fractured Rough. A clear telltale of which rocks were emplaced first.
This almost certainly makes the Séítah outcrop the oldest rocks in Jezero - and much older than the delta.
Surfaces on all planetary bodies in the Solar System are aged by counting the number of their impact craters. Sophisticated models have been developed to compare ages across the various bodies. But these crater "chronometers" depend on some definitive dating that so far has only been obtained by ageing in the laboratory the rock samples brought back to Earth from the Moon in the 1960s and 1970s.
The pieces of rock drilled by Perseverance in Séítah and the Fractured Rough will also be returned to Earth at some point in the near future. Ages for them will be established by studying their radioactive content. The resulting definitive dates can then be used to extend and refine the crater-counting models.
And there'll be further interest in the Séítah samples when they arrive on Earth because Perseverance was also able to establish the presence of carbonate and sulphate minerals.
Kelsey Moore again: "[These minerals] indicate to us that after these igneous rocks formed, water flowed through the pore spaces and the cracks and voids in the rocks." The minerals would have precipitated from the water. "That tells us that there were aqueous environments in Jezero Crater after these rocks formed that may have been salty water. And that's important as we start to consider habitability in Jezero and the potential for life to have maybe existed in those kinds of waters."

Mars Sample Return: An illustrated guide​

Illustrated guide to the Mars sample return missions

Illustrated guide to the Mars sample return missions
Click here to see how Nasa and Esa will bring rocks from Mars to Earth.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
A memory card containing the names of over 1.1 million people was mounted on a plaque and installed below the spacecraft's high-gain antenna on 18 May 2018. The card also contains photos of Parker and a copy of his 1958 scientific paper predicting important aspects of solar physics.

That's sweet. Good thing it's protected from all that heat and electromagnetic radiation from the sun's corona.

The spacecraft's systems are protected from the extreme heat and radiation near the Sun by a solar shield. Incident solar radiation at perihelion is approximately 650 kW/m2, or 475 times the intensity at Earth orbit.  The solar shield is hexagonal, mounted on the Sun-facing side of the spacecraft, 2.3 m (7 ft 7 in) in diameter,[35] 11.4 cm (4.5 in) thick, and is made of reinforced carbon–carbon composite, which is designed to withstand temperatures outside the spacecraft of about 1,370 °C (2,500 °F).

1639719475638.png

NASA ...making shit up since 1958.

Last edited:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
$1,500,000,000...for this piece of garbage that looks like a grade school class project.

1639721001286.png

That's some expensive ass sci-fi right there.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Did you not see the aluminum foil buddy?!? That stuff is industrial grade foil...not that cheap dollar er...dollar twenty-five store crap.

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
If you believe that we did not go to the Moon, THEN how the hell did we get to Mars ??
I worked on the Lunar Landing technology, in 1966, but that & $10 will get ya a cup of hot liquid at Starbucks ! :witch:

How do we know what to believe anymore ? :martian::martian::martian::spaceship::spaceship::spaceship:
Smoke & mirrors? :don't    know2::rotf:

Fiat Metaler

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Did you not see the aluminum foil buddy?!? That stuff is industrial grade foil...not that cheap dollar er...dollar twenty-five store crap.

When I was a kid in the boy scouts in the early 80s, we went to Cape Kennedy. They supposedly had the lunar lander there with the bullshit tin foil. At a minimum it was a replica. And you could sit in it, take photos, and see how flimsy the thing was. 30 years later I took my son to the same place at Cape Kennedy and they no longer have it on display. I guess too many people were asking about radiation and the Van Allen belts.

EO 11110

(LOIS LERNER) GOT AWAY WITH IT
Survivor
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
live right down the road from houston NASA -- for decades the office buildings surrounding it were packed full of spooks and defense contractors

not any more -- guess they dont need spooks/scientists to promote lies about their exploits and their never-ending yarns about globalist warming

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
That Rover has batteries from Tesla and should be bursting into flames soon....sarc
if no one but aliens are there to see it, did it actually happen?

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
'touches' sun
they didn't touch the sun, they touched 'air'

we call it a 'touchdown' when an airplane comes in for a landing, we don't say that airplane is touching the earth when it's afloat

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I think the lie here is clearly the 2,000,000. This would be in line with the theory that the sun is not fueled by fusion and is much cooler than the predictions like said temperature.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
lizard fossil on mars

stone lizard.jpg

Buck

Mother Lode Found
Midas Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
1639754131366.png

i wonder where that kids body fossilized?

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
I think the lie here is clearly the 2,000,000. This would be in line with the theory that the sun is not fueled by fusion and is much cooler than the predictions like said temperature.
That has been apparent for anyone interested in actual science for over a century. The 2nd law of thermodynamics(entropy) precludes a relatively cool(5500f) solar surface and a 2m degree corona...if the sun is a giant thermonuclear fusion reactor. In fact the only way that can happen is if the sun is a huge electromagnetic phenomenon and the corona is an arc bubble...similar in function to a heliarc burn.

1639754026342.png

Sadly, the observable laws of physics are irrelevant to pseudoscientists peddling agendas. NASA themselves claim the "atmosphere" of the sun is 2 × 10^6f and NASA themselves claim they're casually dipping their own flimsy looking...overpriced POS probe into it...and all its alleged electromagnetic radiation.

NASA is allegedly using a nebulous concept called "gravity" to navigate the cosmos and they'll not tolerate anyone attempting to derail their narrative with outrageous concepts like...logic and reason. Gravity CAN NOT be electromagnetic in nature...it's based upon gravitons...or something not gravitons...but that something cannot be electromagnetic in nature...because...uh it's not convenient for NASA.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
If you believe that we did not go to the Moon, THEN how the hell did we get to Mars ??
I worked on the Lunar Landing technology, in 1966, but that & $10 will get ya a cup of hot liquid at Starbucks ! :witch:

How do we know what to believe anymore ? :martian::martian::martian::spaceship::spaceship::spaceship:
Smoke & mirrors? :don't    know2::rotf:
Never
A
Straight
Answer

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
Reaction score
RJ Reynolds advertising on Mars??!!

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
What instrument can measure 2,000,000 F with any accuracy ? It's all smoke & mirrors to justify their budget.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
The aliens who crashed at Roswell used aluminum foil, too.

marcel-roswell-debris_0.jpg

Its also great for making hats!

Thanks NASA I needed a laugh today.

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
What instrument can measure 2,000,000 F with any accuracy ? It's all smoke & mirrors to justify their budget.
IT is quite possible that a temperature of the order of 2,300,000° K., mentioned in Dr. A. Hunter's article on this subject1, may be maintained in the solar corona by collisions of atoms, accelerated from distant regions by the gravitational field of the sun. It is difficult to estimate the resulting temperature without exact knowledge of coronal density, but if the radiation losses of the corona are neglected and equipartition of kinetic energy between ions and electrons is assumed, calculation gives a temperature of the order 20,000,000° K. for atoms of iron, accelerated from infinity to the surface of the sun. Radiation losses increase with the density and might be considerable in the inner corona, and equipartition of the energy might not be reached, so that the ionization maintained in the inner corona might be of the correct order, as required by Edlén's proposals ; but there is a possibility that in a more distant region there will be a layer of higher kinetic temperature and that the temperature decreases to that of
the surface of the sun, as the sun is approached.

This is from an article by Dr. Hunter published in 1943. Like nearly everything else NASA and cosmology at large claim to "know" about the cosmos...it's a bunch of speculation, imagination, and straight up mathematical fiction posing as "science".

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Eagle
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
IT is quite possible that a temperature of the order of 2,300,000° K., mentioned in Dr. A. Hunter's article on this subject1, may be maintained in the solar corona by collisions of atoms, accelerated from distant regions by the gravitational field of the sun. It is difficult to estimate the resulting temperature without exact knowledge of coronal density, but if the radiation losses of the corona are neglected and equipartition of kinetic energy between ions and electrons is assumed, calculation gives a temperature of the order 20,000,000° K. for atoms of iron, accelerated from infinity to the surface of the sun. Radiation losses increase with the density and might be considerable in the inner corona, and equipartition of the energy might not be reached, so that the ionization maintained in the inner corona might be of the correct order, as required by Edlén's proposals ; but there is a possibility that in a more distant region there will be a layer of higher kinetic temperature and that the temperature decreases to that of
the surface of the sun, as the sun is approached.

Just a bunch of fancy words that say "we don't really know, but we will guess at it to look smart & justify our huge budget". :2 thumbs up: :rotf:

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
The shuttle LMAO. That it allegedly "glided" in from space/time without power always cracked me up.

Wull...the bad news is we're allegedly traveling 17,000 mph and slamming into the "air sphere" with no power at all! ...the good news is that we have a stupid parachute to slow us down!

1639769248324.png

NASA has done a fine job of duping people for 60 years though...I'll give em that. All the sci-fi hollyweirdo movies keep people believing the dream and assuming NASA is making it all reality. Meanwhile manned space/time exploration tech stopped evolving in the 1960s. What technology does that? Hell it took a mere 30 years for aircraft to go from the wright flyer to commercial air travel around world.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
maybe they 'touch it' like when you spit on your finger and touch the iron to see if it's hot...?

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 12.39.43 PM.png

RebelYell

Name no longer reflects my changed worldview.
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Think you can measure these temperatures by examining the radiation released. As far as I remember temperature corresponds to the shape of the curve of quantum states, and that shape can be determined by measuring the radiation released by excited particles. When all quantum states are equally populated, temperature is infinity. If you get even hotter than that the temperature would theoretically be negative.

Memory is a bit hazy these days, but some of that stuck in my head.

I think this is relevant: https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/491179/what-is-temperature-on-a-quantum-level

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
Such a process would define expected thermal value via calculation derived from numerous assumptions. Measurements are generally thought of as simply sticking a sensor in something and observing the result. If I'm making a thanksgiving turkey and I wish to know if it's cooked, I'm not interested in radiation emitted, I'm interested in how hot it is in there. For that I may simply use a thermometer to find out.

These NASA guys allegedly built a $1.5b probe intending to crash into the sun's corona with a heat tolerance of 2500f and a calculated expected thermal value environment of 2 million f. Sounds like so much fantasy to me...or some really really poor engineering.

Silvergun

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
1690134268893035921.jpg

1765382159898259552.jpg

1680654927037502787.jpg

1726391845029447615.jpg

solarion

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
NASA is looking for a few good...uh swimmers.

1639775213674.png

1639775369732.png

wastrel

Mr. Negative
Site Supporter
Reaction score
in the dark, probably being eaten by a grue