• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

West Point Privy Mark Quarters going into General Circulation

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
West Point Privy Mark Quarters (0 min 31 sec):

Published on Apr 3, 2020 by USMINT​
This year marks the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II. In recognition of this significant anniversary, the West Point Mint will strike America the Beautiful quarters featuring a special privy mark signifying allied victory. Beginning in April, two million privy mark quarters featuring American Samoa and Weir Farm will go into circulation.​

Not that they will ever be worth more than 25 cents but I would like to get a couple just for the heck of it.
Have any of you found any in change yet?

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++

This year marks the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II. In recognition of this significant anniversary, the West Point Mint will strike America the Beautiful quarters featuring a special privy mark signifying allied victory. Beginning in April, two million privy mark quarters featuring American Samoa and Weir Farm will go into circulation.​

Not that they will ever be worth more than 25 cents but I would like to get a couple just for the heck of it.
Made from pot metal like all the other current coins, right? It's a shame they can't strike these in silver like when money was actually worth something.

Nope, I haven't seen any yet myself!

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Circulating 2020-W Quarters Carry ‘V75’ Privy Mark for End of WWII
by MIKE UNSER on APRIL 6, 2020 · 12 COMMENTS
https://www.coinnews.net/2020/04/06...uarters-carry-v75-privy-mark-for-end-of-wwii/

Ten million quarters from the United States Mint facility at West Point will enter circulation this year. Along with the West Point Mint’s "W" mint mark, they will carry a special "V75" privy mark to honor the 75th anniversary of the allied victory in World War II.

U.S. Mint image of a 2020 quarter from West Point and its “V75” privy mark to recognize the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II

Traditionally, U.S. circulating coins are made only at the Denver and Philadelphia Mints and bear their standard "D" and "P" mint marks. The pair of plants makes and ships them to Federal Reserve branches where they are distributed to local banks and other financial institutions.

A CoinNews photo of the West Point Mint

A CoinNews photo of the Philadelphia Mint

A CoinNews photo of the Denver Mint

Last year, for the first time ever, quarters with West Point Mint’s "W" mint mark entered circulation. Like these 2019-W quarters, this year’s editions will not be included in bulk U.S. Mint-sold quarter products.

‘V75’ Privy Mark Design
Coins often carry a small mint mark, usually a single letter, to identify where they are made. Privy marks are much rarer. The "V75" privy mark appears on the quarter’s obverse (heads) side above the inscription "LIBERTY." The following U.S. Mint video shows examples of the mark:

Developed by Mint sculptor-engravers, the mark’s outline depicts the aerial shape of the Rainbow Pool, which is an integral part of the National World War II Memorial located at the West Potomac Park in Washington, DC.
"In a city of many monuments, the WWII Memorial stands out as one of the most recognized and visited in the city, drawing veterans and visitors to remember the sacrifice and heroism demanded in the conflict that altered world history," the Mint said."
"We believe the "V75" privy mark’s particular placement, adjacent to the portrait of our revered first President, is an indelible symbol and enduring reminder to all generations of the bravery of ordinary citizens who must go to war to ensure their freedom. We at the Mint are proud to present the "W" quarter and "V75" privy mark in this important anniversary year."​
Inside the outline, the raised "V" is for Victory and "75" represents the anniversary of the war’s ending.

10 Million ‘W’ Mint Mark and ‘V75’ Privy Mark Quarters for 2020
Equally mixed across the five unique 2020 quarter designs, there will be a combined ten million quarters made for circulation with the "V75" privy mark and "W" mint mark. They will be issued as part of the U.S. Mint’s America the Beautiful Quarters® Program which celebrates national parks and other national sites in each state, D.C., and U.S. territory.
This year’s quarters honor:
  • National Park of American Samoa in the U.S. territory of American Samoa (released Feb. 3),
  • Weir Farm National Historic Site located in the state of Connecticut (released April 6),
  • Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve in the U.S. Virgin Islands territory (release on June 1),
  • Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park in Vermont (release on Aug. 31), and
  • Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve in Kansas (release on Nov. 16).

Release Timeline
The first two quarter designs bearing the marks launched today, April 6. The U.S. Mint expects these and future editions to begin appearing in circulation within four to six weeks of release. The special quarters are mixed in with Denver- and Philadelphia-struck quarters
"Two million each the first two 2020 "W" America the Beautiful Quarters will be placed into circulation mixed among "P" and "D" mint mark quarters, with one million of each sent into circulation from the Mint facilities at Philadelphia and Denver," the Mint said. "No ‘W’ quarters will be mixed into bulk bags that are sold to coin dealers under the Mint’s bulk purchase program."​
Release dates for upcoming 2020-W quarters are contingent on the Mint’s manufacturing capacity and schedule, the agency indicated.
The West Point Mint also minted quarters for circulation from 1977 to 1979. Those, however, do not have mint marks, making them indistinguishable from the ones made in Philadelphia.
Other U.S. Mint coins for 2020 will feature the unique privy mark, including special American Eagle gold and silver proof coins.
The "W" mint mark quarters are among a portfolio of numismatic products, some of which will also feature the "V75" privy mark. Detailed information about these numismatic products will be shared later this year," the U.S. Mint noted.​
The U.S. Mint produced over 11.9 billion 2019-dated coins for circulation. More than 1.65 billion of them were quarters with mintages that ranged from 231 million to 475 million across five designs. The U.S. Mint is on track to make about the same number of quarters in 2020.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
These quarters are selling for over $900 in MS68 condition!

Buck

Village Idiot
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
give it a few years, they'll be had for $100 in MS69...

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
If you have 4 of them you might be able to buy a cup of coffee somewhere.
At face value, that's true, but at collector value, 4 of them can buy more than 1 ounce of gold.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Good luck to everyone trying to find one, you'll probably need it.

I look at every quarter I get in change and have yet to see one of last years W quarters.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
give it a few years, they'll be had for $100 in MS69...
With 2 million being minted this year, they will indeed have a high population, for modern coins with high collector value.

But the challenge will not only be finding them, but also in a high enough condition--and preserving that condition. I guess going to banks for rolls will show its usefulness once more, for those who like to do that.

Joe King

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I guess going to banks for rolls will show its usefulness once more, for those who like to do that.
Is it possible to get a box of new quarters from a bank, or are they always a mix of old and new ones?

Last year I went to several banks and asked about it, but none of them had any new quarters in rolls. Just lots of older ones.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
The Mint has finally begun to understand the powerful marketing value of using privy marks for well-established coin designs.

Instead of doing complete redesigns of multiple coins (like they do with commemorative coins), they are now taking existing designs and making a tiny change to them to commemorate the event.

So they build on the collector value of the coins with existing designs and enhance it with the commemorative privy mark, just like other mints around the world have been doing for some time.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Is it possible to get a box of new quarters from a bank, or are they always a mix of old and new ones?

Last year I went to several banks and asked about it, but none of them had any new quarters in rolls. Just lots of older ones.
I'm pretty sure each bank has its own policy in this matter. The ones who get plenty of coins from customers will not need to get new coins.

the_shootist

Old Pasty White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
At face value, that's true, but at collector value, 4 of them can buy more than 1 ounce of gold.
Supply and demand. If there are so many in circulation why would a collector pay that much for 4 of them? It just doesn't seem right to me to speculate these things will command such a high price from any collector.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Supply and demand. If there are so many in circulation why would a collector pay that much for 4 of them? It just doesn't seem right to me to speculate these things will command such a high price from any collector.
I was giving an example based on today's prices for the coin, at that condition.

As more are released into circulation, the value will naturally go down, but if you are quick enough to sell them (assuming you already have the coin in MS68 condition), each one can fetch from $700 (low end) to $1000 (high end) per coin.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
And those in MS67 condition are no chump change, either, selling at about $80 a pop.

For comparison, a 2019 quarter in MS68 condition sells for about $15.

gliddenralston

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I don't collect any modern coins that are not made of au/ag. when the shtf melt value is what they'll be worth. If you find one in the wild fine...purchasing no way!

Last edited:

edsl48

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
So lets see with the proof set you get another instant rarity.

"New in 2020! Premium Coin: The 2020 United States Mint Silver Proof Set is accompanied by a special Jefferson nickel with a reverse proof finish struck at the West Point Mint with a “W” mint mark. This special complementary coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap and inserted into an envelope. "

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
I don't collect any modern coins that are not made of au/ag. when the shtf melt value is what they'll there worth. If you find one in the wild fine...purchasing no way!
The last 3 months have been just about as SHTF as America has seen in decades.

Ag and Au got a nice boost into multi-year highs, but the privy quarter got a boost of its own...

Wait...for Ag, not quite a multi-year high.

Starter

Silver Member
Silver Miner
So lets see with the proof set you get another instant rarity.

"New in 2020! Premium Coin: The 2020 United States Mint Silver Proof Set is accompanied by a special Jefferson nickel with a reverse proof finish struck at the West Point Mint with a “W” mint mark. This special complementary coin is packaged separately in clear United States Mint plastic wrap and inserted into an envelope. "
Unfortunately, the nickel is not shipped in a capsule, but a plastic envelope, making the condition of the coin doubtful. I was considering ordering one of these, but I decided against it for this reason.

Speaking of proof sets, it was during the Great Depression of the 1930s that the Mint introduced proof sets to the public. So for those who doubt the value of collectible coins during tough economic times, this is the counterexample.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Wp should stick to printing gold and silver ASE's. Forget the 1/4's. No wonder theres a shortage.

GOLDZILLA

Harvurd Koleej Jeenyus
Midas Member
These will be like silver in 10 years when they start making all coins from plastic and then twenty years later the plastic ones will be like silver when they are all made out of thin air. That is how debasement works.

SongSungAU

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Even though these will be circulating quarters, they will still be a rare thing to find in change.

The Denver & Philadelphia mints made 1.6 billion quarters in 2019. That's less than they made in 2018 but let's use the 2019 total for the example.

2019Qtrs.jpg

Using the 2019 total for example and adding the ten million quarters that the West Point mint will make in 2020 to be released into general circulation, means the quarters with a "W" mint mark will only be 6 tenths of one percent of all quarters made for commerce in 2020.

2020W.jpg
The chances of us finding one are slim.

UPDATE ON 7/07/2020:

Okay, according to this article, the US Mint is going to produce more coins in 2020 than they did in 2018:

US Mint Ups Coin Production To Circumvent Shortage

So using the 2018 volume (instead of the 2019 volume), the percent of quarters with the "W" mint mark will be half of one percent (or even less if the 2020 quarter production is more than in 2018).

CoinsUp2.jpg

CoinsUp.jpg

The chances of us finding one are even more slim than originally thought.

Last edited:

Aurumag

Ag mirror of truth Aurum purity of mind
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks for the head up!

I will BOLO.