• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2019

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
And they are off!!...:)

It’s waaaay to early to do much of anything garden related but dream...

The smell of freshly turned soil..
Birds chirping...
Fresh morning dew sparkling like diamonds dancing on fire...

And then there’s fecking Mr Reality , Mother Nature’s Son , 40-60 mph sustained winds for days at a time..
Biblical grasshopper plagues..

Aw feck that chit , I will keep dreaming until then.

Like dreaming of eating fresh figs and smoking fine herb...one out of two ain’t bad eh....

C2D9EF4F-6D0D-47FB-8D0A-D3552490147F.jpeg

EB409696-0BB2-4EA9-B7EE-1E623A63805A.jpeg

6E97D694-2D26-4032-8C5E-D48799AE37A2.jpeg

Happy Farmin’ Fellas in 2019!...

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Mr fig is looking very happy!!.
I was getting the gardening itch yesterday :). These warm temps for this time of year I guess. Dying to go pop some seeds.. I wish I had just 1 acre of open farmland to grow tomatoes on. My forest gardens are fine but tough place to grow food. After the logging last year, it's a mess but it did open up possibilities. New fruit trees will go in this spring as well as finishing up the pond and I may even start the 2nd pond. I have to start a thread on the 2nd pond though, going to need to build a damn and my neighbors would probably appreciate it if the damn held. :).

After losing about 7k worth of fig tree last year to the outdoor cold storage I stored what I have left in the house and once again they are leafing out in storage so now they all have to go under lights. :(.. They all need to get up potted this year too. Probably just go with 15 gallons. I have some 25 gal but those are not fun to move on your own. :).

Off to the store today to get promix for starting some new cuttings. Galicia negra and Lebanese red from Bekaa valley. Probably take a bunch of cutting from my outdoor Hardy Chicago as well. Going to plant a few of those around outdoors next spring.

My main production tomato this year will be the abbatista. Huge plum tomato. Pretty sure I posted a photo of it last year or the year before. Largest plum tomato I have ever seen and absolutely delish. Makes excellent spaghetti sauce and the plan is to grow a lot of them for canning this year.
Probably do a couple other varieties as well and then some broccoli and a few other veggies. Peppers will be limited to serrano and green peppers. For me the Serrano has the perfect heat for salsa and adds a nice flavor as well.

birddog

Here for the show.....
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Garlic, onion starts and cilantro seeds scattered in a cold frame. Some cold weather cruciferous plants that the bunnies decimated. lol...

I do tomato seedlings every year and the damn volunteers always do better. I think I might just plant the seeds in the ground after the last frost and go from there.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Except for some garlic, mine is kinda fallow... :(

Wife has had a lot of sickness so just not into it much right now.

Usually I'd have it all cleared and tilled and mulched, ready for winter, except for a few small snows, some cool weather, winter has not yet shown much here.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mr fig is looking very happy!!.
I was getting the gardening itch yesterday :). These warm temps for this time of year I guess. Dying to go pop some seeds.. I wish I had just 1 acre of open farmland to grow tomatoes on. My forest gardens are fine but tough place to grow food. After the logging last year, it's a mess but it did open up possibilities. New fruit trees will go in this spring as well as finishing up the pond and I may even start the 2nd pond. I have to start a thread on the 2nd pond though, going to need to build a damn and my neighbors would probably appreciate it if the damn held. :).

After losing about 7k worth of fig tree last year to the outdoor cold storage I stored what I have left in the house and once again they are leafing out in storage so now they all have to go under lights. :(.. They all need to get up potted this year too. Probably just go with 15 gallons. I have some 25 gal but those are not fun to move on your own. :).

Off to the store today to get promix for starting some new cuttings. Galicia negra and Lebanese red from Bekaa valley. Probably take a bunch of cutting from my outdoor Hardy Chicago as well. Going to plant a few of those around outdoors next spring.

My main production tomato this year will be the abbatista. Huge plum tomato. Pretty sure I posted a photo of it last year or the year before. Largest plum tomato I have ever seen and absolutely delish. Makes excellent spaghetti sauce and the plan is to grow a lot of them for canning this year.
Probably do a couple other varieties as well and then some broccoli and a few other veggies. Peppers will be limited to serrano and green peppers. For me the Serrano has the perfect heat for salsa and adds a nice flavor as well.
Feel free to share pics. ;)

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
The only thing growing here is icicles !

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Did a bunch of videos from all over. Now I need to go through them and see whats relevant..
Is that from last fall? Looks good.

I'm definitely not complaining about the weather. By this time last year we already had one spell of minus 20 I think. The year before was hitting -35 wind chills. This year is a very nice break.

Can I upload a video direct from my computer or do I have to put it on you tube or something?

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
4 foot of frozen ground and 3 1/2 months until I can plant anything outside means dreaming is all I do. Some plants do help with the dreaming more than others. Gotta plant more onions this year as I'm doing more cooking now so they go fastest.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Pit you ever grow onions from seed? I always buy plants becuase it is said onions from sets dont store well. I thought about growing my own plants instead of buying, a bunch of plants (50-75) is around $8, a pack of several hundred seeds is just a few dollars. I would start the seeds under t5's, and transplant to the garden.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Bubba is one of my all time favs. Love that coffee coco aroma and taste. Lost mine years ago.

I did onions for first time this past year. Haven't tried em from seed though.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I like the bubba too, the cross we made makes a bigger plant w heavier yeild, but still has all the bubba trademarks. Heavy branched wind resistant plants, that finish oct 10 or so. The cross is (bubba x paki) x apollo 13 f4. I never would have thought id get heavy stalk strength w the apollo 13 in the mix, it was a nice surprise. Does well outdoors here. We had some 8 footers that did 5#.

It is my understanding from reading a bit that end of this mornth is the time to start onion/leek/ allium seeds. That gives them a few months to grow before being put out sometime in april.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Good work on the turkey video cracker.

View attachment 122341

Thanks Dan and considering I have a new phone and can barely post a photo let alone a video..
Hell I have a difficult time just starting and stopping the video..

Plus , if I do a little planning I can catch more of them taking off...
It’s cool to see them get a running start and launch...
It was wicked the other day when they were fighting a 20 - 40 mph headwinds out of the north.
It was all about timing that day.

And if I put a bunch of clothes on and sneak up on them I can catch them flying down and waking up.
But it’s pretty dark and they waste no time hitting the ground...
I may need lights.

P 98 , anyone still running this legend?...I hear its getting hard to find.

The chickens are laying a few more eggs a day.
January has been above average temperature wise and looks good going into February with temps on the high plains 40 - 50's with lows in the teens....

Time for another cup of coffee and a time or two and get this day started.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
awright coop and spinal -- ready for a little amusement?

I have reread your posts above... and I haven't a clue as to whether you are talking onions or weed with that "P98/CSI Humboldt" stuff.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Dang!!!!

What a lovely herd of turkeys!!!

I gots a coupla tails & beards hanging on my wall right here as I type. And seeing a healthy clutch like you filmed makes my tongue hard.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Pit you ever grow onions from seed? I always buy plants becuase it is said onions from sets dont store well. I thought about growing my own plants instead of buying, a bunch of plants (50-75) is around $8, a pack of several hundred seeds is just a few dollars. I would start the seeds under t5's, and transplant to the garden.
Nope never grew an onion from seed but the wife is in town today and is gonna look for some seeds to experiment with. Last year was the worst we ever had for onions and we are blaming all the smoke we had blocking out the sunshine.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Walter , the P 98 Is the name of a cannabis varietal.....it is a pre 1998 Bubba Kush......a wonderful tasting chocolate coffee earthy dankness that makes for a good evening smoke , after supper , or with a Fuzzy Navel just before bed.....

CSI Humboldt is a seed vendor............https://humboldtcsi.com/product-category/seeds/

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Walter , the P 98 Is the name of a cannabis varietal.....it is a pre 1998 Bubba Kush......a wonderful tasting chocolate coffee earthy dankness that makes for a good evening smoke , after supper , or with a Fuzzy Navel just before bed.....

CSI Humboldt is a seed vendor............https://humboldtcsi.com/product-category/seeds/
I'm drooling just thinking about it. If I was stuck on an island for the rest of my life with only 5 strains available I would definitely want that and OSSSH. What I loved about the P98 was you could take her at 56 and have a nice motivational medicine. At 65 she was perfect for end of the day and 75 was bedtime meds. :). the osssh was my get shit done meds.. Finishing at 54 was nice too. :). Lost them, the white and chemD to the borg. Fought those little bastards for years and finally got them kicked. Another one I got from Big Ricky was that pineapple tasting thing that had huge yields. Mcfly..

stAGgering

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Seeker
I pulled 15lbs of carrots White Satin, Bolero, Yaya, and Romance out of the ground today.
Out from under 18" of straw and a tarp, plus 6" of soil over greenless tops.
Had to hatchet the tarp free from 2"- 6" of ice on lower end where I am excavating them.
Also from under 18" straw separate bed, 10lbs of beets, Bulls's Blood & Red Ace.

Carrots looked fine, soil frozen top 2" but soft and worms below.
Beets had some dusting of frost all over and ground was dense not solid frozen.
So much rain this fall, cold follows water like mice to black sunflower seeds.
Left beets on floor in coldest corner, morning will show viability.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I'm drooling just thinking about it. If I was stuck on an island for the rest of my life with only 5 strains available I would definitely want that and OSSSH. What I loved about the P98 was you could take her at 56 and have a nice motivational medicine. At 65 she was perfect for end of the day and 75 was bedtime meds. :). the osssh was my get shit done meds.. Finishing at 54 was nice too. :). Lost them, the white and chemD to the borg. Fought those little bastards for years and finally got them kicked. Another one I got from Big Ricky was that pineapple tasting thing that had huge yields. Mcfly..
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide. I blivved the apples and pears to get to my Joanna, but I had no smash except a Lady Godiva -- so I was Tom and Dick about birdlime.

I can't speak Pot, but I gots Cockney down pat.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
You crack me up Walter.

Cigar man interpretation...... OSSSH = Old Sogs Super Silver Haze , Old Sog is a pot farmer who found this particular variety of pot and named it after his bad self...the pot is of the sativa family which will help one stay alert , unlike the indica family which helps one sleep.

The 56 , 65 , and 75 are how many days the plant is in the flower stage. Plants grow in the spring and then start flowering when the sunshine starts to wind down and some plants finish , or are done , later than others. Like a banana. You can pick it green and some people like the green banana. Others wait until the banana has a lot of brown spots and then eat in.

Its all personal preferance on how one likes their cannabis flowers , green , ripe , and over ripe.

Cigar man lost the white and the chemD to the Borg = the white and the chemD are names of two different varieties of pot and the Borg is an infestation of the dreded and hated spidar mites! Those spidar mites killed Cigarmans two plants.

Big Ricky is a pot farmer who sells pot seeds commercially.
The McFly is the name of a pot plant that Big Ricky discovered and named the McFly.
And damn was that ever a sweet tasting and motivational high.

Maybe I will name a pot variety after Inca (spell check , I like Inca ) Walt...........now what would be a good name for that plant?..........hmmmmmmmmm.....

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Its getting hard to come up with strain names anymore. Weve got folk using old strain names for new strains now. Fruitbowl comes to mind as one that has been reused.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
You crack me up Walter.

Cigar man interpretation...... OSSSH = Old Sogs Super Silver Haze , Old Sog is a pot farmer who found this particular variety of pot and named it after his bad self...the pot is of the sativa family which will help one stay alert , unlike the indica family which helps one sleep.

The 56 , 65 , and 75 are how many days the plant is in the flower stage. Plants grow in the spring and then start flowering when the sunshine starts to wind down and some plants finish , or are done , later than others. Like a banana. You can pick it green and some people like the green banana. Others wait until the banana has a lot of brown spots and then eat in.

Its all personal preferance on how one likes their cannabis flowers , green , ripe , and over ripe.

Cigar man lost the white and the chemD to the Borg = the white and the chemD are names of two different varieties of pot and the Borg is an infestation of the dreded and hated spidar mites! Those spidar mites killed Cigarmans two plants.

Big Ricky is a pot farmer who sells pot seeds commercially.
The McFly is the name of a pot plant that Big Ricky discovered and named the McFly.
And damn was that ever a sweet tasting and motivational high.

Maybe I will name a pot variety after Inca (spell check , I like Inca ) Walt...........now what would be a good name for that plant?..........hmmmmmmmmm.....

From my fevered packrat mind... may I suggest a name sorta in the Inca tradition that would properly relate to a good weed variety?

Popocatepetl <<-- This is from the Aztec word, "popoca" (pah-poe-cah) which means "it smokes" <-- kewl, eh? And "tapetl" (tah-pee-tul) which means "mountain".

So... in five years, we can expect multi-millionaire Spinalcracker to be selling a Rocky Mountain High strain of weed like no other.

And we could work the euphonious and clearly yclept "Bernie/burny" in there for that smoky mountain... as in:

"Gotta burn me a Popocatepetl for my RMHigh.

While I am at it, the Aztec word for avocado is "testicle". I haven't figured a way to work that one in, and it is just about all the Aztec I know.

As long as I am wasting bandwidth with my language crap, I just happen to know that "to sit down and smoke a joint" (in Tagalog) comes out:

"tsungki" <<-- say "its" without the "i" and add "ung-kee". Tsungki. <<-- TINS

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
From my fevered packrat mind... may I suggest a name sorta in the Inca tradition that would properly relate to a good weed variety?

Popocatepetl <<-- This is from the Aztec word, "popoca" (pah-poe-cah) which means "it smokes" <-- kewl, eh? And "tapetl" (tah-pee-tul) which means "mountain".

So... in five years, we can expect multi-millionaire Spinalcracker to be selling a Rocky Mountain High strain of weed like no other.

And we could work the euphonious and clearly yclept "Bernie/burny" in there for that smoky mountain... as in:

"Gotta burn me a Popocatepetl for my RMHigh.

While I am at it, the Aztec word for avocado is "testicle". I haven't figured a way to work that one in, and it is just about all the Aztec I know.

As long as I am wasting bandwidth with my language crap, I just happen to know that "to sit down and smoke a joint" (in Tagalog) comes out:

"tsungki" <<-- say "its" without the "i" and add "ung-kee". Tsungki. <<-- TINS
That name , popocaptetl , will eithe break us or make us.

The challenge will be in the reaction of the consumer.

Here’s the problem: the kids will give the pot a nickname and I am not to sure how well popo weed will be received by the kids.....

Popo weed, gubmint weed...may not be so bad , the variety called G13 is supposed to be government weed grown on their Mississippi pot farm and it’s pretty good weed.

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I somehow get the feeling we don't all use pot for the same reason. Some seem to put more thought into what they may get while others[me] use it to screw up a perfectly good thought with a more perfectly good thought[that I can't ever remember].
Carry on as I'm learning.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
pitw -- You are correct. 90% of the reason I love the stuff is: pain management.

Even MySonTheDoctor concurs with my pain medicament. Beats the shit out of opiods. When you get in the high 70's in age, your bod is totally OUT OF WARRANTY.

So you can sit and moan in misery... or you can smoke and smile.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Back in the day, when I was a licensed caregiver, I had a patient, a little 90 lb bull dyke who had an inoperable brain tumor. She would smoke weed faster than I could grow it. I asked if it helped with pain, and she said 'kinda.' She went further to state 'it doesnt always cut the pain, but it allows me to put it on the back burner and get on with my life.'

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well at least you have the hides from critters that are actually in demand this year. Hope ya top the market.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Well we have successfully ID'd our resident pot snob!

This guy can probably taste the soil elements in the smoke and tell you what time of day it was harvested. :mining::weed: