• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
really excited to get started on this year‘s garden .

I know folks like LumpofGold are ready to plant some greens so let’s get going!

I really have to wait until April/May.

Except for all the prep work.

There is no glamour in cleaning pots , pulling weeds , or running a tiller....it’s all work , honest work.

Gardens are good for the soul.

I don’t have anything to report except that I’m starting some medicinal herbs.

I have to start early because growing cannabis from seed requires selection of males vs females and culling out the runts.

I’ll be starting 6 varietals.

Chem 91
Chem 91 x Dragon
C99 from JoeyWeed
C99 x Northern Lights
Girl Scout Cookies x G13 Hashplant 88
Winkin’ Blinkin’ Nod from Luther Schwagbank...I have to look that one up again to see what’s in it.....

Good luck this Year to ya all!...

image.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I have been planning what seeds to get and thinking about starting to organize and clean containers. Probably start onion seeds mid February and others about a month later (indoors of course).

Does anyone know of any good productive pepper varieties of small sweet peppers? My thought is that I rarely get much of a yield off of bell pepper plants and maybe there are some smaller peppers which are more productive I should consider. Spicy is okay too. Already planning to have jalapeno, anaheim, serrano, red hot cherry and banana peppers.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
First thing ya need to do is change that avatar to a picture of a plant........ :weed:
Aw come on Lt......give it up for Piglosi....

My second choice was Maxine....yeah-baby!...

(. I hate to muck up my own Thread but I could not resist this beauty)..

2BF3AAE0-3F16-4D7D-8A88-AB590F97C36D.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have been planning what seeds to get and thinking about starting to organize and clean containers. Probably start onion seeds mid February and others about a month later (indoors of course).

Does anyone know of any good productive pepper varieties of small sweet peppers? My thought is that I rarely get much of a yield off of bell pepper plants and maybe there are some smaller peppers which are more productive I should consider. Spicy is okay too. Already planning to have jalapeno, anaheim, serrano, red hot cherry and banana peppers.
I really enjoyed growing these lunch box peppers this past year. I had handfulls of fresh peppers for months off a few plants.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetab...pper-mix-organic-snack-pepper-seed-3515G.html

Some of mine from last season with a couple cayannes...

IMG_20190906_172255101.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Speaking of compost , it’s time to clean out the henhouse and spread all that hat-chicken poop all over the garden and wet it down ....

Last years plot...I leave old stalks up for the chickens to pick through but I’ll soon till it under , kind of chop it up..

Throw on some manure and BAM!..
88D7CE81-AB04-4563-8AFA-41DA96F6820C.jpeg
8DC88F1D-549B-4FDD-948D-1912E94ECB9F.jpeg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Speaking of the hen house, I need to clean mine out, spread it on the garden and get rid of the old hens. Time to buy some new chicks, start a new flock. Not sure these old hens are gonna come out of their molt, haven't had any eggs for a couple months.

I had grow lights on my 9 fig plants in my shop, they went dormant anyway, so, I unplugged the fixtures, let them go for winter. I do keep the heat on in there, give them a little water just to keep the soil a bit damp. First of March, I'll probably plug the lights back in and see if I can bring them out of dormancy.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Speaking of the hen house, I need to clean mine out, spread it on the garden and get rid of the old hens. Time to buy some new chicks, start a new flock. Not sure these old hens are gonna come out of their molt, haven't had any eggs for a couple months.

I had grow lights on my 9 fig plants in my shop, they went dormant anyway, so, I unplugged the fixtures, let them go for winter. I do keep the heat on in there, give them a little water just to keep the soil a bit damp. First of March, I'll probably plug the lights back in and see if I can bring them out of dormancy.
Is there any natural light in the shop?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Couple windows, not enough, even though, when the sun shines, it does shine in. Figs really need full sun all day to do good.
I've been craving figs ever since reading you cigar lover and cracker talking about them and showing us pictures.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
lol. Yeah over a foot of snow over the garden and the ground is frozen. Try and stop me nature! :mining:;)

Nature wins. :winter::surrender:
Itching to get in that ground though.
Its 4:20 and the emoticons are in full swing...:weed:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Less than 48 hrs and cotyledons are showing.

Vigorous genetics.

Some of the seeds are at least 7 yrs old. I’ve seen some seeds 20 yrs old germinate.

There are several germination techniques out there from hi tech laboratory methods to simple ways.

I usually spray some hydrogen peroxide on the seeds and then soak them in some distilled water until they sink , about 12-24 hours....

Then I place the seeds in a white paper napkin that’s been soaked with water , fold the napkin a couple times and then place them in a ziplock baggie and place them on a heated germination mat.......

Vigorous seeds will split and show a tap root in 12-24 hours...

I then take the sprouted seed and put it in a grow plug in a tray like in the photo...

Soon as they get a couple sets of leaves I’ll place them in 10 oz plastic beer cups and let them grow until they show sex......

After that is when the fun begins.
It’s a labor of love and the plants need a lot of attention in the very early stage.

Like ICU in a pediatric ward.....

210C7F23-100D-4B62-AE7F-591833067147.jpeg
2087D794-A785-405E-BA8A-4665C4AB275E.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Less than 48 hrs and cotyledons are showing.

Vigorous genetics.

Some of the seeds are at least 7 yrs old. I’ve seen some seeds 20 yrs old germinate.

There are several germination techniques out there from hi tech laboratory methods to simple ways.

I usually spray some hydrogen peroxide on the seeds and then soak them in some distilled water until they sink , about 12-24 hours....

Then I place the seeds in a white paper napkin that’s been soaked with water , fold the napkin a couple times and then place them in a ziplock baggie and place them on a heated germination mat.......

Vigorous seeds will split and show a tap root in 12-24 hours...

I then take the sprouted seed and put it in a grow plug in a tray like in the photo...

Soon as they get a couple sets of leaves I’ll place them in 10 oz plastic beer cups and let them grow until they show sex......

After that is when the fun begins.
It’s a labor of love and the plants need a lot of attention in the very early stage.

Like ICU in a pediatric ward.....

View attachment 152397 View attachment 152398
Cotyledons? Damn, Cracker ain't playing!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

WillA2

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Aw come on Lt......give it up for Piglosi....

My second choice was Maxine....yeah-baby!...

(. I hate to muck up my own Thread but I could not resist this beauty)..

View attachment 152324
I was looking this pic over as a potential candidate for a scarecrow operation this year. I have decided that I want the seeds to sprout and this pic may discourage them.

Moving on.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
It is late winter here, and its been a mild dry one.

The ground is not frozen, alot of farmers are putting corn fertilizer in the ground and working stubble. Over the next few weeks we will be preparing the home place gardens, and supplementing the soil. I have decided since we all might be shut ins, im going to grow every inch in the various spots. I have a couple of plots that set fallow for a yr, and they are mellow.

I dont plan on dying of covid19, and I dont plan on hiding in the house. It seems like the perfect time to stay fuck at home, and get my garden groove on. Maybe I can plug some holes in the supply chain. If it goes to bits, it ought to pay pretty well. I used to market garden quite alot when I was younger, but I worked harder instead of smarter, like some dumb farm kid with a sack of weed, and a case of beer, lite to dark til I fell over.

No mas.
I have worked myself right out of the tractor farming deal, just mess with some cows, and mechanic a bit in my barn............:winks2: ........so ill have some time til coyote season.....:hunt:

I am trying to retire, but noone will let me.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
and now it is early March and it’s time to get started...

3 trays of different cherry tomatoes and 2 trays of jalapeños

medicine plants are chugging along , still culling males and runts

i will be moving these trays outdoors on warm days and inside at nights until we get above freezing temps at night and then they stay outdoors...

timing the medicine plants lighting indoors to match outdoor sunup sundown schedule is kind of tricky ..

what a mess if they start to flower and then reverse them back to veg and the plant can come up short on yield , be really larfy , and just not finish properly......at least that’s been my experience...

it’s pretty easy to grow indoors and set a timer to 12/12 , run some drip lines with timers , set it and forget it...

not so much outdoors...

happy farmin’!....

9CBB617F-4972-4AB2-8839-4D722934A95E.jpeg

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Wish I made the time for it. Every year I get wife sprouts of veggies and other plants for mommy's day. I'll turn her garden, through some grow food into it and the rest is up to her.
Last year she put in about 11 pot plants she raised from seeds that were given to her along with all the stuff I got her. Stunk up the neighborhood. I liked it.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can someone ID this early blooming cutie for me please?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
"A weed is a plant who's virtues have not yet been recognized."

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
"A weed is a plant who's virtues have not yet been recognized."
or a plant out of place..

these weeds have found a place at my place and where much research is being conducted to discover its virtues....

I am a trying soil again so it’s a learning curve getting the Ph and nutrients and beneficial bacteria’s all in sync..right now I’m battling some what looks like a magnesium calcium decencies which I think is a nute lockout due to bad Ph in water/dirt...

plus I have a few gnats which are being contained and controlled

i usually buy bales of ProMix with beneficial bacteria but grabbed a few bags of organic soil at a local lumbar yard and now I wish I would have waited and made the 130 mile trip into the big city......

luckily it’s still early in the season and I have some backup plans....

9C167567-7B6F-463B-9E45-2F663BAF0205.jpeg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
It's seeming like it might be an early spring here. I planted some lettuce, radish and carrot seeds outside in the raised beds. I still need to start some onion seeds indoors soon.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
or a plant out of place..

these weeds have found a place at my place and where much research is being conducted to discover its virtues....

I am a trying soil again so it’s a learning curve getting the Ph and nutrients and beneficial bacteria’s all in sync..right now I’m battling some what looks like a magnesium calcium decencies which I think is a nute lockout due to bad Ph in water/dirt...

plus I have a few gnats which are being contained and controlled

i usually buy bales of ProMix with beneficial bacteria but grabbed a few bags of organic soil at a local lumbar yard and now I wish I would have waited and made the 130 mile trip into the big city......

luckily it’s still early in the season and I have some backup plans....

View attachment 157105
What's the genetic heritage?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
last call for ordering garden seeds, onion plants, and seed potatoes fellers. Plant it fence row to fence row, make yourself useful for once.

'They' are about to lock this fucker down, how long til the mail service doesnt work anymore.