• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ok, now it's gotten serious...look what I came out to find in the garden today...

I think it's telling me to pick a bit sooner. It didn't look quite right to me but after cutting off the damaged portion and trying it is absolutely delicious. It's the better boy variety. Same one it went for yesterday. my mom says it's probably a chipmunk Rich upon review make sense especially with the amount eaten. Any advice on how to eliminate this problem? It also appears to have taken a bit out of the ripe yellow tom.

IMG_20200729_182008002.jpg

IMG_20200729_182657121.jpg

IMG_20200729_181948977.jpg

Another issue I found today is with the raspberry plant something has been eating the leaves leaving a pretty neat looking remnant behind. Anybody know what/who causes this?

On the bright side the plan is doing great for its second year man has tons of new fruit forming. This poor thing sat root bound in its small pot for close to two years. I'm happy it's happy. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ok, now it's gotten serious...look what I came out to find in the garden today...

I think it's telling me to pick a bit sooner. It didn't look quite right to me but after cutting off the damaged portion and trying it is absolutely delicious. It's the better boy variety. Same one it went for yesterday. my mom says it's probably a chipmunk Rich upon review make sense especially with the amount eaten. Any advice on how to eliminate this problem? It also appears to have taken a bit out of the ripe yellow tom.

View attachment 174456

View attachment 174457

View attachment 174459

Another issue I found today is with the raspberry plant something has been eating the leaves leaving a pretty neat looking remnant behind. Anybody know what/who causes this?

On the bright side the plan is doing great for its second year man has tons of new fruit forming. This poor thing sat root bound in its small pot for close to two years. I'm happy it's happy. :)

This just in...
Ok, sounds like the raspberry pedst might be raspberry sawfly during larval stage as small 1/2" on the underside of leaves. Pale green w dark brown stripes, blend in with leaves. Remove affected leaves and dispose of far away from raspberry plants. May be best removed manually
I'm thinking that todays tomato culprit was a bird.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame

View attachment 174456

View attachment 174457

View attachment 174459

Dang, man that sucks!

Have you seen what is doing it yet?

Made 3 more jars of pickles today. Spears and slices. I never imagined when I first got the stuff for canning a few years ago that the first thing I would be canning was pickles. I had salsa on the mind. Itching to try my first batch in one week to assess spices.

Cucumbers-2020-07-29-IMG_7227SS.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
If its a bird you can put netting over the plot.

I am not convinced its a bird.

A trail cam would help. You could also rake the area, then use a broom to smooth out the ground, then look for tracks. If you figure out what it is post up, and ill have a way to kill it, if you are so inclined.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Nope, my only clues are post damage.

You doing sweet or sour?
Dang. I can't say what is worse. First year I had my cameras on the garden I did not have any deer fence and while it was useful to know exactly what happened it hurt to see them take away so much of the work I put into the plants. Deer fence has done me wonders, just using 7 ft poles to form a perimeter around the garden.

Not sure how the pickles will turn out. I didn't add any sweeteners, just made a salt vinegar brine. Then added 1 tsp dried dill and 1/2 tsp of each black and crushed red pepper to each jar. First time ever doing it was a week ago. Cracking them open next Wednesday.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
If its a bird you can put netting over the plot.

I am not convinced its a bird.

A trail cam would help. You could also rake the area, then use a broom to smooth out the ground, then look for tracks. If you figure out what it is post up, and ill have a way to kill it, if you are so inclined.
Thank you, the dirt dea is a good one.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
How far above the ground were the damaged tomatoes?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Finally things are stating to grow around this drought forsaken windy semi desert

i think after 11+ yrs of this bullshit weather , I am seriously considering moving to another state where one can grow a garden in some fecking normal weather.

6B0D4ED4-9E29-4583-9088-170818A66693.jpeg
21111CB3-BDDE-4EFD-8E47-2D52FB047547.jpeg
0B27FC8A-DAEF-413F-BAAE-20F8AD42BB35.jpeg
78C041CF-A8EE-460B-B6C3-884F8CBF9EED.jpeg
67A155D3-FAA4-42F8-9447-94E360DE7EDB.jpeg

Ghost Express
ghost og x ogers
CF275BDC-1E1A-49D2-8027-EFFBB3ABFB22.jpeg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Very true. Spinalcracker seems like a decent guy. This year I was trying to understand what he did to piss mother nature off so much.

Wishing you all the best conditions. I can't believe I'm making more pickles again today after making a batch yesterday. Checked the garden and there were 6 more cucumbers screaming to be picked. This will bring me up to 8 jars. I sure hope when I try the first batch that I determine I like the spice level.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, there was no evidence ofy tomato vandal but then again, non of the better boy's are ripe at the moment!

Did get a few more Tom's picked today though. Had a huge thunderstorm last night. We needed it pretty badly. Fortunately no flooding as they were predicting.

IMG_20200730_183951930.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/propagation/seeds/seed-stratification.htm

Seed Stratification: What Seeds Require Cold Treatment Seeds By: Susan Patterson, Master Gardener Image by Morana Franov

When it comes to seed germination, many people don’t realize that some seeds require cold treatment in order for them to sprout properly.

What is Stratification? In nature, seeds require certain conditions in order to germinate. Seed stratification is the process whereby seed dormancy is broken in order to promote this germination. In order for the stratification of seeds to be successful, it is necessary to mimic the exact conditions that they require when breaking dormancy in nature. Some seeds require a warm and moist treatment, while others require a cool and wet treatment. Even still, other seeds require a combination of both warm and cool treatments followed by a warm treatment, or a combination of warm and cool moist followed by a dry cycle and warm period to germinate. Therefore, knowing what seeds require to break dormancy is critical before beginning any seed stratification project.

Is Cold Stratification of Seeds Necessary?

So, when is cold stratification of seeds necessary? Cold treatment for seeds is necessary for plants or trees that require time in the ground over winter in order to germinate. If you are starting cold treatment in the late summer or fall, you can put the seeds in a pot of soil and dig the pot into the ground. The seeds will sprout in the spring. However, if you are starting treatment in the early season, you will want to soak seeds for 12 to 24 hours and put them in a plastic bag or sealable container with equal amounts for sand and peat. Seal the bag or container and place it in the refrigerator for 10 days. Label the container or bag so that you know which seeds they are. Check the seeds regularly to be sure that the planting medium is moist. Check the seeds after 10 days to see if they are sprouting, as some seeds may require a longer period of cold and wet conditions. (Some seeds even require time in the freezer to break dormancy.)

What Seeds Require Cold Treatment?

Many plants require cold seed stratification in order to break the dormancy cycle and germinate.

The following are some common plants requiring a cold treatment for seeds (Note: This is not an all-inclusive list. Be sure to research the germination needs of your particular plants beforehand):
Butterfly bush
Fuchsia
False sunflower
Hardy hibiscus
Catmint
Evening primrose
Perennial sweet pea
Rudbeckia (black eyed susan)
Sedum
Hen-and-chicks
Ironweed
Chinese lantern
Lavender
Verbena
This article was last updated on 05/27/

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Early August Garden Bounty

IMG-20200801-WA0000.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yeah, I almost got a stiffy.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Nice haul! Going to do some canning?
We usually do several canner loads of tomatoes & also a canner load of pizza sauce which Mrs. VH makes.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
We usually do several canner loads of tomatoes & also a canner load of pizza sauce which Mrs. VH makes.
What's the variety of those oblong tomatoes?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You’re so funny that I love you

hey , after trump gets elected , gf and me are going on a road trip and when we are in your neighborhood , we want to stop by and spark one up with you

tell them cracker is coming and he is bringing knock your dick in the dirt weed......and I didn’t say ditch weed , it’s knock your dick in the dirt weed

058B6579-7E67-4D1D-B912-96C15A564F40.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You’re so funny that I love you

hey , after trump gets elected , gf and me are going on a road trip and when we are in your neighborhood , we want to stop by and spark one up with you

tell them cracker is coming and he is bringing knock your dick in the dirt weed......and I didn’t say ditch weed , it’s knock your dick in the dirt weed

View attachment 174862

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
We went out while it was cool this am and picked some. Then a neighbor came by before we were done and stole some. We can pick 3 gallons of raspberrys a day off my patch[best ones]. Peas were picked twice before and still have a couple pickings left. Cucumbers are just starting as are the tomatoes. Pumpkins are flowering.
DSCF2003.JPG

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The tom's are pacing themselves well, but I'm going to have to start increasing my intake. For the first time since I planted them I took a look at what variety the yellow tomatoes were. "Lemon Boy".

Tonight's pick

IMG_20200801_185221937.jpg

Current stash of stored rainwater & sunshine

IMG_20200801_190653762.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Oh yeah, forgot I took pictures of the banana peppers, they're finally hitting their stride. I enjoy these... I have one plant that's hot and one plant that's not, and the hot banana peppers are hotter than my jalapenos. They've kicked my ass. With both those and the jalapenos, when I pick them I don't pay attention to whats what and so it's always a surprise... The other night I cut up one of the jalapenos, of which I have a mild and a hot variety, and one of the banana peppers. Turns out I cut up the hot ones of each... I found this out about my third bite into the salad. Swearing, sweating, talking to myself out loud... yeah man it sent me to another realm!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Note to self.... remember to wash your hands after cutting hot peppers!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
You're making me hungry. I really like hot peppers. One that has been really productive for me is Anaheim peppers. Been pulling many 2" by maybe up to 8" long peppers. Milder than a jalapeno but still some good spice and flavor.

More banana and some of my Serrano peppers are almost ready. I thought I got the spicy version of banana but they seem a bit milder than the anaheims. I have had crazy results with jalapenos, where one in 10 of them is ridiculously hot.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
You're making me hungry. I really like hot peppers. One that has been really productive for me is Anaheim peppers. Been pulling many 2" by maybe up to 8" long peppers. Milder than a jalapeno but still some good spice and flavor.

More banana and some of my Serrano peppers are almost ready. I thought I got the spicy version of banana but they seem a bit milder than the anaheims. I have had crazy results with jalapenos, where one in 10 of them is ridiculously hot.
My buddy and I both grow Pepper's he's the one that gave me the lunch box Pepper's I had last year. He's always talking about how the heat can vary drastically between peppers even from the same plan he swears. Tonight I only had one fresh pepper that I wanted to save so I cut up four of his lemon drop peppers that he dried 2 years ago. They are my absolute favorite pepper ever. Pickled, dry, fresh, all terrific to me. It's a tolerable heat with a really interesting flavor that keeps me coming back for more. I definitely overdid it tonight with the four and and now deep into my endorphin high.

Those Anaheims are really good too. You've got a great assortment this year. how do you find the flavor of the regular banana pepper? Mine is bland to bitter. It's not very pleasant on its own and is really only there for crunch or nutrients for my salad. The hot one however is delicious.

The mild jalapeno I have is basically like a green pepper. How do your lunch box plants look in terms of fruit density?

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
My buddy and I both grow Pepper's he's the one that gave me the lunch box Pepper's I had last year. He's always talking about how the heat can vary drastically between peppers even from the same plan he swears. Tonight I only had one fresh pepper that I wanted to save so I cut up four of his lemon drop peppers that he dried 2 years ago. They are my absolute favorite pepper ever. Pickled, dry, fresh, all terrific to me. It's a tolerable heat with a really interesting flavor that keeps me coming back for more. I definitely overdid it tonight with the four and and now deep into my endorphin high.

Those Anaheims are really good too. You've got a great assortment this year. how do you find the flavor of the regular banana pepper? Mine is bland to bitter. It's not very pleasant on its own and is really only there for crunch or nutrients for my salad. The hot one however is delicious.

The mild jalapeno I have is basically like a green pepper. How do your lunch box plants look in terms of fruit density?
Jalapenos can be unpredictable. My experience has been that most are at a perfect spice level. However, they range from almost as mild as a green bell pepper to hotter than my hottest Serrano. I can't say for certain but I believe the same plant can produce the whole range of spices.

My banana peppers have a good spice, very nice flavor. They were labeled spicy so I expected more kick, but they aren't bad by any means. Did you let them fully ripen? I usually let them get bright yellow, try for no hint of green but sometimes still have a touch near the stem. I'm not certain but I suspect they get less bitter the more they ripen. They have been very delicious in sandwiches and in scrambled eggs.

The lunch box plants have extreme fruit density. Guessing 15+ peppers on the plant right now. It is to the extent that trying to pick a ripe pepper is quite difficult. It is hard to find the stem among all the other peppers.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Jalapenos can be unpredictable. My experience has been that most are at a perfect spice level. However, they range from almost as mild as a green bell pepper to hotter than my hottest Serrano. I can't say for certain but I believe the same plant can produce the whole range of spices.

My banana peppers have a good spice, very nice flavor. They were labeled spicy so I expected more kick, but they aren't bad by any means. Did you let them fully ripen? I usually let them get bright yellow, try for no hint of green but sometimes still have a touch near the stem. I'm not certain but I suspect they get less bitter the more they ripen. They have been very delicious in sandwiches and in scrambled eggs.

The lunch box plants have extreme fruit density. Guessing 15+ peppers on the plant right now. It is to the extent that trying to pick a ripe pepper is quite difficult. It is hard to find the stem among all the other peppers.
Yeah I think you're right about the rightness at the time there was only one or two peppers on the plant and they were getting huge so I picked them. I'll try to let it ripen a bit longer and see if that helps.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Only thing ripe tonight we're some japs.

IMG_20200802_195217642~3.jpg

So the same strain of tomato got hit again! This one's height is up above my navel. there are tomatoes more right than this and they all look perfectly fine. that makes this the third cometo from the same plant dagger showing damage right at about the time of ripening. I'm thinking bird.

IMG_20200802_194642794.jpg
IMG_20200802_194648102.jpg

AgAuGal

Founding Member
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter
Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, jalapenos.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Son of a gun boys, them look more than good enough to eat.
Funny I should say that cause I hadda run up North 70 miles for parts for me and a couple neighbors, I drove around the town looking for somehere to eat and couldn't find anywhere that would be close to as good as at home. So I drove home and had steak, tatties, cukes, beans and a couple other home growed goodies.