• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Very nice harvest. I too made a pie out of tomatoes from the garden tonight. Detroit style with anaheim pepper from the garden.

View attachment 175317
I'd kind of like a recipe for that pizza looking thing.
Do you just stripe instead of swirl the sauce.

I am on bucket 3 of corn to freeze.
The storm system going up the east coast yesterday dropped about 4" of rain here, so I stayed inside.
Today I will be finishing the main corn crop, spraying the peppers w/ copper to fend off black spot, & this evening will be canning my sweet gerkin pickles.

P1010001.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Started to cut out the core of a tomato last night, one of the Better Boy's and spotted what looks like a message of some kind...is it from the thief?

IMG_20200804_225419830.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I'd kind of like a recipe for that pizza looking thing.
Do you just stripe instead of swirl the sauce.
That's basically it for the sauce. You apply the sauce in 3 strips across the top. I like how this style allows the sauce to further thicken as the pizza cooks and allows you to use more sauce than if you apply it directly to the dough.

I learned about this style pizza from this video.

Also got my favorite dough recipe from the same guy:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's basically it for the sauce. You apply the sauce in 3 strips across the top. I like how this style allows the sauce to further thicken as the pizza cooks and allows you to use more sauce than if you apply it directly to the dough.

I learned about this style pizza from this video.

Also got my favorite dough recipe from the same guy:

I literally just finished eating pizza for breakfast. :)

Thank goodness too... If I hadn't and caught this post I'd be upset! :D

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I literally just finished eating pizza for breakfast. :)

Thank goodness too... If I hadn't and caught this post I'd be upset! :D
Breakfast of champions. Better than my usual handful of raisins, almonds and cashews. :D

Just wait until you see what I do with the extra pizza dough. Not sure what I will do yet. The possibilities are endless!

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Picked a good number of peppers today. Lunchbox, Serrano and 1 Anaheim. Possibly will can some salsa this Saturday. Found a decent bath can recipe in my "Complete Book of Home Preserving" by Ball.
Garden-2020-08-05-Img_7294S.jpg

I have been picking the tomatoes as they start to turn color and letting them ripen indoors. Been working pretty well. Here are the grape tomatoes I haven't devoured yet.
Garden-2020-08-05-Img_7295S.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The "boys" (Lemon Boy & Better Boy)are plodding along nicely...

IMG_20200805_184904787.jpg

The Better Boy's are far and away the best tasting of the 3 varieties I've picked this year. The early girls are just starting to fruit(in ground late). The bb's are very sweet and very juicy.

The banana peppers are really pumping but the jalapenos are a bit lackluster comparatively. The fruits are few and far between overall. The mild variety is producing noticeably more than the hot ones unfortunately. The flavor on the hot ones is out of this world! I've been making a salad concoction that I liken to a Thai Dish. Sweet, salty, spicy & sour.. putting some lime juice on there and getting a bite with the jalapenos is magic.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I put some eggs on the stove to boil, then escaped to the air conditioning... I went to set an alarm and got distracted. Next thing you know I hear a POP!

IMG_20200805_204133237.jpg

I haven't done anything like that in a long time. Friggin dummy.

Anyway, any ideas on how to consume quite overcooked eggs and be palatable?

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I put some eggs on the stove to boil, then escaped to the air conditioning... I went to set an alarm and got distracted. Next thing you know I hear a POP!

View attachment 175487

I haven't done anything like that in a long time. Friggin dummy.

Anyway, any ideas on how to consume quite overcooked eggs and be palatable?
Get you some hens, feed them those eggs and with any luck they'll lay you some fresh ones.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Get you some hens, feed them those eggs and with any luck they'll lay you some fresh ones.
That's actually a great idea!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well, turns out that they aren't that bad off and very edible afterall. Pleasant surprise.

IMG_20200805_231915766.jpg

I should still get some hens though. :)

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I only seen a black egg once before and it was fried. We decided there and then that I'd do the cooking on that trip. LOL

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I only seen a black egg once before and it was fried. We decided there and then that I'd do the cooking on that trip. LOL
Lol

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
It's VERKING!

IMG_20200807_175055335.jpg
IMG_20200807_175145734.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mom's garden is putting out:

IMG_20200807_194623_01.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Had a nice steady rain starting early last night so got the rain barrels filled and the perky plants displayed they're delight.

Got a real nice unmolested better boy specimin today.

IMG_20200807_182941004.jpg

I finally remembered to take a look at the tom variety that I couldn't remember. It's called "Health kick". I think I'd call this variety "Tomesticals" or "Testicoes" myself.

Hot banana plant flexin

The mild jalapeno plant that is closer to the center of the garden is probably three times as prolific as it's sibling behind it. It's super Stout and healthy so getting rough and training it underneath the neighboring tomato trellis which has been left half vacant by its tenant. Waste not want not.

Screenshot_20200807-185115.png
Screenshot_20200807-185135.png

Tonight's harvest was perfectly portioned for a single guy

IMG_20200807_184049337.jpg

Thanks for reading and happy harvest.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Today we canned 2 canner loads of tomatoes
20200807_200513.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
I have been looking at the garden. It looks like we will have lots of tomatoes, onions, potatoes, and peppers. Generally we can the tomatoes and freeze the peppers, but this year we are going to try to can everything, to get away from using so much freezer space.

At this link, the chic is caning and drying stuff i didnt even know was possible.

http://frugallivingonthewatkinsranch.blogspot.com/search/label/Canning and Drying food

canned onions, no problem. carmelized canned onions no problem. Dehydrating sour cream and cottage cheese. How about canned bacon? Its in there, you just have to browse the blog posts.

Lots of good info to be had.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Looking good, everyone!

Busy day here. I did not have anything major to do but I'm terrible at "relaxing". So I got up early and picked cucumbers and made another batch of 3 jars of pickles. Having just taste tested my first batch of pickles this week I must say the flavor is awesome but they came out a bit soft. I have come to learn that using less mature cucumbers helps, so today I picked some at a smaller size to pickle, picked them early in the morning and let them sit in ice water while I prepared everything else.

Then I made lunch. Scrambled eggs with banana pepper, Anaheim pepper, lunchbox pepper, fresh basil, oregano and thyme from the garden. Mashed potatoes that I loaded up with herbs and spices and pan fried.
Lunch-2020-08-08-Img_7300SS.jpg

I then canned 1 jar of salsa. It's a small operation here. :D First time canning salsa. Made of tomato, Serrano peppers and lunchbox peppers from the garden. Didn't quite have enough Serrano pepper so the salsa is fairly mild but very good and flavorful. I can always sprinkle on some cayenne when I want a little more kick. Have enough extra to fridge and eat over the next few days.

Salsa-2020-08-08-Img_7301SS.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Glad to hear your getting the canning sorted. I will be up to my elbows in it, in a few weeks. Trying to get everything weeded and my fall garden in before it commences.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
For you salsa lovers. Do a search for annies salsa recipe.. Probably the best salsa I ever had. Make the mistake of sharing it with family and now they agree, absolutely delish.. So, whenever I make it I have to make it for 4 families. :(.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Out in the garden today after a storm cleared. Oh look, a friendly little skunk (outside of the garden fence left of me in this frame). It didn't mind at all that I was there, it was about 2 feet from me when I noticed it and didn't even threaten. Still I kept my distance then when I was far enough away snapped my fingers until it wandered off. Yeah he'll be back. lol

Skunk-Encounter-2020-08-08-picture20200808_202405_000000SSS.jpg

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Out in the garden today after a storm cleared. Oh look, a friendly little skunk (outside of the garden fence left of me in this frame). It didn't mind at all that I was there, it was about 2 feet from me when I noticed it and didn't even threaten. Still I kept my distance then when I was far enough away snapped my fingers until it wandered off. Yeah he'll be back. lol

View attachment 175985
You are a far kinder person than me.:2 thumbs up:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
^ Surprisingly similar to the recipe I used. The recipe I followed did not call for sugar, salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, and quite as much tomato paste and 1/4 as much cumin and half as much garlic. I can see why that recipe would be really good!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
For you salsa lovers. Do a search for annies salsa recipe.. Probably the best salsa I ever had. Make the mistake of sharing it with family and now they agree, absolutely delish.. So, whenever I make it I have to make it for 4 families. :(.
I can't think of a single unpleasant product I've had of there's. Everything they make is very clean and tasty, albeit expensive. As a salsa connoisseur I'll have to investigate this further. :)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's right, you're looking at tonight's humble harvest...err-orrrrr-rrather it's looking at you...

IMG_20200809_181250711.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
^ Surprisingly similar to the recipe I used. The recipe I followed did not call for sugar, salt, black pepper, tomato sauce, and quite as much tomato paste and 1/4 as much cumin and half as much garlic. I can see why that recipe would be really good!
IMO itd be hard to go too heavy on the cumin and garlic.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Its been wet here all week & I found these growing in the lawn down by the gardens.
Can anyone identify them & let me know if they are edible?
Thanks in advance.

20200809_200529.jpg

20200809_200539.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Well, that was fun & actually tasted very good!

Sliced, olive oiled, & browned both sides.
20200809_213226.jpg

Added homemade pizza sauce, garden toppings, & mozzarella
20200809_213400.jpg

Baked & broiled for about 10 minutes.
20200809_215158.jpg

It was something fun & different.
We'd do it again!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Yesterday was pizza sauce making & canning day.

20200811_082048.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got home late last night so did a morning harvest and grabbed two pairs of Tom's snd s banana pepper. The plants are bent over from the weight of the people and they don't want to get picked yet so letting them hang out.

I'm so happy @coopersmith told me to quit being a pussy and encouraged me to plant a garden even though I claimed not to have the time last year. That was genuinely what I needed to hear to break through my laziness... I mean it's like having a subscription where you get organic vegetables delivered to the backyard everyday.... What more could you ask for? Okay maybe instead of vegetables manifesting in the backyard walking outside to a vine of gold sovereigns....but I digress

IMG_20200811_095428940.jpg
IMG_20200811_095720899.jpg

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Ok, I could use some plant disease advice, so I can head this off next year.
We've had heat, then rain.
I've seen the normal bugs, but no more cucumber beetles than normal, (I know they spread disease.
My cukes browned & died. Ok I have a years worth of pickles put up.

P1010004.JPG

Mellon patch was looking green & healthy, then over the course of 4 days, they look like this:

P1010005.JPG

P1010001.JPG

The volunteer melon patch in the compost pile is a little younger, but it also is starting to wilt:

P1010007.JPG

And finally, here is another fungus thing that often starts on my grass clipping mulch.
It becomes kind of crusty, & spreads to whatever it touches, green beans, tomato plants, whatever.

P1010009.JPG

So what is it, & what will prevent it or slow it down next year?

Last edited:

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Nothing spectacular, just a subset of our heirloom tomatoes and some other random stuff. We've determined that Matt's Wild Cherry (upper left) are like candy and we eat them like Scooby Snacks, Purple Russian rank #2 with great flavor and minimal seeds, #3 Purple Cherokee also have great flavor but more seedy, and #4 Cour Di Bue are the best beefy variety, with Italian Heirloom a close second. The rest of the heirloom varieties we have (Amish Paste, German Johnson, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Brad's Atomic, bigger cherry, etc.) have their moments when fully ripe, but are better suited for juicing, salsa and sauce where reduced flavor, higher acidity and seed/water content can be augmented and overcome with seasoning and preparation techniques. All varieties are better that the store-bought hydroponic crap! Good luck out there folks.

Aug 8 - C.JPG