• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Did some canning today. 3 jars of pickles and 3 jars of salsa.

This time I had fresh dill to use. Each jar has a good length of dill, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper. Cucumbers were picked early morning and placed into ice water while things were prepped. Hoping the new steps I have been taking over the last couple weeks is making crispier ones.

Pickles-2020-08-22-Img_8721S.jpg

Salsa, made with tomato, Anaheim pepper, Serrano pepper and the first green bell pepper from the garden. Heard another "clink" while typing this as the jar tops are popping in.
Salsa-2020-08-22-Img_8717S.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Did some canning today. 3 jars of pickles and 3 jars of salsa.

This time I had fresh dill to use. Each jar has a good length of dill, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper. Cucumbers were picked early morning and placed into ice water while things were prepped. Hoping the new steps I have been taking over the last couple weeks is making crispier ones.

View attachment 177839

Salsa, made with tomato, Anaheim pepper, Serrano pepper and the first green bell pepper from the garden. Heard another "clink" while typing this as the jar tops are popping in.
View attachment 177840
You using a pressure cooker or pot method?

The salsa looks on point bro. :chef:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
You using a pressure cooker or pot method?

The salsa looks on point bro. :chef:
Bath caning. So included some vinegar per the recipe. This batch turned out awesome. I am having some of the extra on some chips. I have been including the pulp and seeds of the Serrano peppers for a little more kick.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Bath caning. So included some vinegar per the recipe. This batch turned out awesome. I am having some of the extra on some chips. I have been including the pulp and seeds of the Serrano peppers for a little more kick.
Yeah man don't be afraid to experiment. Get creative.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Screenshot_20200822-201304.png

The neglected late planted early girls are just starting to develop a new name certain fruits.
Screenshot_20200822-201220.png

Screenshot_20200822-201159.png

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Harvested all of the garlic and onions, most of the carrots as well. Still harvesting some green beans and cabbage, but both are about done. Beets, summer squash, collards, and kale roll on. Harvested our first melon and some peppers, both doing well. Our cucumbers suck, normally we have more than we know what to do with, they were an all but failure this year and not sure why. Heirloom tomatoes up the wazoo.

Aug 20 - C.JPG

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Apple Pies Matter!

My summer rambo was a little late this year.
P1010001.JPG

My kid for fathers day gave me this gizmo that is suposed to peel, core & slice all at once.
(go figure for fathers day, but I have plenty of ammo)
Anyway it is an overpriced cheap piece of chinese shit.... that actually works pretty good.
No replacement blades, so I imagine it will get dull & stop working well.
But today>>>
P1010002.JPG

Stick it on,
spin the handle

P1010003.JPG

You end up with a spiral of peeled apple.
P1010004.JPG

3 pies because I can't stretch the dough like my mom used to be able to.
sorry out of focus.

P1010005.JPG

I think there is still some vanilla ice cream in the freezer!

P1010006.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Apple Pies Matter!

My summer rambo was a little late this year.
View attachment 178436

My kid for fathers day gave me this gizmo that is suposed to peel, core & slice all at once.
(go figure for fathers day, but I have plenty of ammo)
Anyway it is an overpriced cheap piece of chinese shit.... that actually works pretty good.
No replacement blades, so I imagine it will get dull & stop working well.
But today>>>
View attachment 178438
Stick it on,
spin the handle

View attachment 178439
You end up with a spiral of peeled apple.
View attachment 178440

3 pies because I can't stretch the dough like my mom used to be able to.
sorry out of focus.

View attachment 178441

I think there is still some vanilla ice cream in the freezer!

View attachment 178443

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Awww shucks my garden is a disaster, like totally. Cut worms kicked my ass and the rats just kicked my ass and if I pull any weeds I'll kick my ass. I planted three packages of beans so out of 75 got 5. Planted about 2 packs of peas so out of 50 got 8. I planted the spinach and cant find it through the weeds but the lettuces took off like weeds. Oh and my potatoes? Yeah they were hammering along but now I can't find them; you guessed it weeds.

I have such a great weed garden this year I invented a life hack, I mean 'drats' how am I going to water my weeds when they are so tall? Well I took a 2 inch PVC pipe, about 6 feet long and a fence post pounder and drove them into the dirt and walla! instant height for the minuscule spit, spit, spit sprinkler. The fact that I drove PVC pipe into the ground shows how well I worked the ground for my weeds.

So, every morning when I go to do the chores is survey the bees feeding on the dogphenall and the bachelor buttons and admire what a disaster I accomplished this year; much better than last years extravaganza.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Awww shucks my garden is a disaster, like totally. Cut worms kicked my ass and the rats just kicked my ass and if I pull any weeds I'll kick my ass. I planted three packages of beans so out of 75 got 5. Planted about 2 packs of peas so out of 50 got 8. I planted the spinach and cant find it through the weeds but the lettuces took off like weeds. Oh and my potatoes? Yeah they were hammering along but now I can't find them; you guessed it weeds.

I have such a great weed garden this year I invented a life hack, I mean 'drats' how am I going to water my weeds when they are so tall? Well I took a 2 inch PVC pipe, about 6 feet long and a fence post pounder and drove them into the dirt and walla! instant height for the minuscule spit, spit, spit sprinkler. The fact that I drove PVC pipe into the ground shows how well I worked the ground for my weeds.

So, every morning when I go to do the chores is survey the bees feeding on the dogphenall and the bachelor buttons and admire what a disaster I accomplished this year; much better than last years extravaganza.
"A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been recognized."

WTH is a bachelor button?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Been doing nighttime harvesting and minor maintenance past few days. I was busy and we had a rain that I thought was more than it was so let the plants go a little dry and they were pretty u happy looking a couple days ago.

The tomatoes have been constantly hit with that fungus. They're starting to shot down or the season too. Fortunately the late, early girls are picking up where they left off.

The peppers seem to love the weather. Banana peppers have slowed down a little bit while the jalapenos picked up.

Been getting steady raspberries. The other neat thing about the paint strainer is when they yet write the following the bag so I come home walk out the door and I got a bag of fruit waiting for me. :)

IMG_20200828_221654064.jpg

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
It flowers in the morning and fades away in the afternoon to evening. The ones here go from a nice blue and fade to white. Bees lv them, every day a new harvest for the bees.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
It flowers in the morning and fades away in the afternoon to evening. The ones here go from a nice blue and fade to white. Bees lv them, every day a new harvest for the bees.
Up here they are the tits on a boar.

Pyramid

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Random assortment of some of the most recent harvest...tomato, kale, collards, green beans, cabbage, peppers etc... And of course, our boy cat snuck into the pic as usual (bottom middle).

We bought a 7 cu ft chest freezer to store our surplus carrots, green beans, and anything else that can be frozen. Looking at the food saver vac pack systems, anyone have a recommendation? Good luck out there folks.

Aug 28 - C.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Random assortment of some of the most recent harvest...tomato, kale, collards, green beans, cabbage, peppers etc... And of course, our boy cat snuck into the pic as usual (bottom middle).

We bought a 7 cu ft chest freezer to store our surplus carrots, green beans, and anything else that can be frozen. Looking at the food saver vac pack systems, anyone have a recommendation? Good luck out there folks.

View attachment 178983
I inherited a small and large FoodSaver that work quite well. Got to go check the brand's be right back... it's a FOODSAVER brand. At the last house I lived in there were some pears that grew in the front yard that were the most incredibly delicious fruit I've ever had. I picked as many as I could, dried them in a dehydrator and sealed them in the food saver for couple years and they were still excellent. I miss those pears.

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Tonight's harvest. Had big storms stemming from that hurricane in La. Plants all look much, much better and have boomed since I last checked. First early girl harvest.

IMG_20200902_225034304~2.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Looks like my garden will be toast by next Wednesday as temps will be in the 20’s early morning....winds 10-20 will freeze everything

all my medical plants are not ready to harvest , they need 2 maybe 3 weeks

so all the work down the toilet , stick a fork in me

im sick and tired of fighting the elements , I’ve been down this road before and have tried to cover everything with Agribon frost cloth but it ain’t worth the hassle , medical plants need more than frost cloth to survive

i don’t care to much about the tomatoes , peppers , and melons , they are pretty cheap to replace

but it ain’t cheap replacing 5-10 pounds of medical flowers

fvck fvck fvck

097B4F4B-EE3A-4318-8207-EAAC77A77840.png
569E1F93-5FC6-4566-8C20-513A3CB5DE5F.jpeg
ED9B5BA0-B614-4FAA-8F4B-26D5316C6C1A.jpeg
1493AA6E-5BD7-46BD-8F5C-72440B7EA897.jpeg
90C66B31-9520-4ECF-9D7F-E5E9A6735868.jpeg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks like my garden will be toast by next Wednesday as temps will be in the 20’s early morning....winds 10-20 will freeze everything

all my medical plants are not ready to harvest , they need 2 maybe 3 weeks

so all the work down the toilet , stick a fork in me

im sick and tired of fighting the elements , I’ve been down this road before and have tried to cover everything with Agribon frost cloth but it ain’t worth the hassle , medical plants need more than frost cloth to survive

i don’t care to much about the tomatoes , peppers , and melons , they are pretty cheap to replace

but it ain’t cheap replacing 5-10 pounds of medical flowers

fvck fvck fvck

View attachment 179185 View attachment 179186 View attachment 179187 View attachment 179188 View attachment 179189
That's rediculously fukked brother CrAcKeR.i prey something changes . Wish there was something we could do to help.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
spinalcracker
It's a beautful, but unforgiving place you live.
I don't know your setup, but could you not try a combination of tarps & a construction torpedo heater.
It would be a tricky dance between freeze & burn I know.
I recall being in Florida passing through orange groves in a freeze & they had big ass smudge pots every couple feet to save the trees.
(this was 30 years ago)

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
spinalcracker
It's a beautful, but unforgiving place you live.
I don't know your setup, but could you not try a combination of tarps & a construction torpedo heater.
It would be a tricky dance between freeze & burn I know.
I recall being in Florida passing through orange groves in a freeze & they had big ass smudge pots every couple feet to save the trees.
(this was 30 years ago)
Shoot even if you put $1000 into it you'd make out ahead.

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've found the medical plants to be very frost resistant and hope yours survive that little bit of frost. 3 nights ago it got down to 29f here for an hour or so and only the susceptible plants like cucumbers got touched. Coulda fried them suckers as we got pickles coming out our pickles now.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Spinalcracker needs to build a greenhouse.....as do I. 25C or F?

edited to add: whent back and looked 25F whoooooa there pony, where in the hell U at?
yeah I need a 35’ x 70‘ , , you gots $10-20,000 you can lend me?

out in the middle of nowhere , eastern high plains Colorado 4500 feet

chit chit chit.....yeah I suppose I could put a rush order in for some frost cloth , cover everything up and weigh it all down with 5 gallon buckets of water or concrete blocks and pray to god some plants are saved...the smaller flowers on the lower branches are the most protected , all the popcorn buds , what a drag

we have a few that are getting close and we will chop them down next Monday or Tuesday and salvage some herbs

this is the last straw for me as far as living here and gardening...I’m leaving ASAP and moving to greener pastures , this is bull shiat , I give up , Mother Nature is boss

is now a good time to get drunk or should I wait until noon?

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
From what I've seen of your garden I woouldn't leave an area I liked due to an early frost. We have put the sprinkler on during the coolest times to help save the plants.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Im not sure your screwed spinal cracker. I would get some roll plastic, and more t posts and try to get em covered monday evening. In the wind thats expected I dont think the frost will settle. At any rate your right on the line to take damage, I always heard 6 hours below freezing on potted plants, in ground plants much less susceptable to cold weather.

Good luck!

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Thanks for the encouragement Fellas

just overnighted 300’ of Agribon frost cloth , $90 to Fed-X for overnight delivery , fuk , at this rate I can just buy my flowers at the dispensary $120 an ounce

i will put the shade cloth back over the hoop house and then a blackout tarp on top of that and that should save those ecsd and then the cloth will cover the hedge row

stuff is good to 4 degrees so as long as it doesn’t blow off , the flowers should be ok

2020 , what a roller coaster ride!

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
you are just trying to be funny , right?...I mean , we can see western Kansas if we drive up the hill to Firstview Colorado and look eastward....ever hear of Firstview?
hahaahah....nope. drove freight through it though. I know its high as in uplifted and used to have seas ebbing and flowing through or on it. actually I think the largest oil field is in Colorado....north west part me thinks.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
sometimes some of them stems/sucker limbs are way larger than one thinks and all it takes is time to get them down....yes, I think I should be nominated to the underbidders hall of shame.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Here is a schizo weather report.................. record heat then snow?

WTF?

--------------------------------------------------------

Saturday through Monday:

An upper level high pressure will remain over the Great Basin from
Sunday through Monday, bringing anomalously warm temperatures over
southern Colorado. Very low PWAT values (less than 0.2") are being
resolved over the western half of the CWA, which aids in the
efficient warming that will occur over the lower elevation
(efficient compressional heating; downslope). While Saturday,
Sunday, and Monday will all be well above average, the hottest day
will be on Sunday. Record high temperatures seem likely on Sunday
afternoon with forecast high temperatures for Pueblo being 102F
(previous record 100F in 1933), 96F for Colorado Springs (previous
record 93F 1959), and 89F for Alamosa (previous record 86F in 1933).
On Monday, a PV streamer will propagate over southern Colorado,
indicative of a trough passage. Cooler air will be associated with
the trough passage, lowering temperatures down to the 90s over the
plains and 80s over the mountain valleys.

An isolated thunderstorm is possible over the southern Sangre de
Cristo Mountains, the Raton Mesa, and Baca County. If the isolated
storm does form, main risk will be gusty winds. Dry conditions are
expected for the rest of this period.

Tuesday:

To preface this section, there is still plenty of uncertainty
associated with the early season winter storm, both deterministic and
ensemble are having difficulty coming to a consensus.

Early Tuesday morning an anomalously strong shortwave and its
associated cold front is expected to propagate over southern
Colorado. Precipitation should begin shortly after the front passes
overhead, falling as snow over the Palmer Divide, northern El Paso
County, and over the mountains. It`ll take more time for the snow
levels to drop over southern El Paso County and south, so rain will
be the initial precipitant. Rain will transition to snow during the
late morning over Colorado Springs, Pueblo isn`t expected to
transition to snow (though a few snow flakes cannot be ruled out)
and the plains south of Pueblo likely see light snow as the
elevation increases towards the Raton Mesa. Snowfall amounts are
another tricky thing to account for since the previous day is
expected to be in the 90s and primarily all of the snow falling
should melt on contact. If snow rates are high enough, accumulations
will be possible. The GEFS and EPS indicate around 3 inches for
Colorado Springs, less than an inch for Pueblo, 4 inches over
Monument, and around 6" over La Veta Pass. Realistically, with
melting, Colorado Springs would see an inch or two on the grass,
Pueblo a trace on the grass, Monument around 2" on the grass, but 6
inches does seem realistic over La Veta Pass. As an aside, if any
snow falls over Pueblo, it will be the early snowfall on record! The
previous record is September 10th from the year 1898. The GFS
resolves a more progressive system, ending precipitation during the
early morning on Wednesday, but the latest models are slowly
trending towards what the ECMWF is resolving by creating a slower
moving cut-off low pressure center by Wednesday morning. The ECMWF
has the cut-off low further west. Ensembles aren`t much help
resolving the storm track either, with mean 500 hPa being quite
similar to their deterministic counterparts.

There will be an extreme temperature swing from Monday afternoon`s
high to Tuesday`s high temperature. High temperatures over the
plains are expected to be in the 50s (as compared to the 90s on
Monday), the mountain valleys expected to be in the 50s (as compared
to the 80s), and the mountains in the teens to 20s (compared to the
40s to 50s). The high temperatures could break the all time lowest
high temperatures on September 9th.

Wednesday and Thursday:

An outcome that appears to becoming more certain is the need for a
Frost Advisory or a Freeze warning for Wednesday morning. Low
temperatures over the El Paso County, Teller County, and the
mountain valleys are expected to be in the 20s, whereas the rest of
the plains are expected to be right around freezing. The morning low
temperatures on Wednesday are expected to be right around a record
low temperature, as well.

The ECMWF continues to have a cut-off low propagating over western
Colorado, whereas the GFS has the cut-off low over the midwest.
Vastly different outcomes with either deterministic model output.
What does seem certain is that the anomalously cool temperatures
will continue on Wednesday, warming on Thursday, and lingering snow
showers over the mountains through Wednesday.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
These are now on the milkweed that the monarch caterpillars where can anybody ID these?

IMG_20200904_142545312.jpg
IMG_20200904_142622007.jpg
IMG_20200904_174157871.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
the orange things are some weird kind of aphid, and the caterpillars look like some kind of army worm?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
These are now on the milkweed that the monarch caterpillars where can anybody ID these?

View attachment 179430 View attachment 179431 View attachment 179432
Mom id' em.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/milkweed_tussock_moth_larvae_feed_on_common_milkweed

Milkweed is not just for monarch butterflies – milkweed tussock moths are also a frequent diner.

The milkweed tussock moth, Euchaetes egle, begins its life as a tiny, nondescript larva, feeding with its siblings in a big herd. Then ending its life as a larvae is an explosion of colorful tufts of hairs. Sometimes they are called milkweed tiger moths because the larvae are black, white and orange. The adult moths are not as colorful, being mainly a soft gray.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Mom id' em.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/milkweed_tussock_moth_larvae_feed_on_common_milkweed

Milkweed is not just for monarch butterflies – milkweed tussock moths are also a frequent diner.

The milkweed tussock moth, Euchaetes egle, begins its life as a tiny, nondescript larva, feeding with its siblings in a big herd. Then ending its life as a larvae is an explosion of colorful tufts of hairs. Sometimes they are called milkweed tiger moths because the larvae are black, white and orange. The adult moths are not as colorful, being mainly a soft gray.
Yep, some years I get insane numbers of those and they will eat the milkweed plants down to skeletons. This year not as many, but I can easily go out and find a couple dozen if I want.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Yep, some years I get insane numbers of those and they will eat the milkweed plants down to skeletons. This year not as many, but I can easily go out and find a couple dozen if I want.
How are the lunch box peppers doing?