• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2020

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I can't like that.
I liked it but only because cracker posted it for our information, sorry for his loss.

We had a storm roar through here this evening, high winds blew neighbors equipment barn apart - total loss from what I could see. Not sure if it did major damage to his combine and semi-grain trucks.

We did get a half inch of much needed rain out of it, but it blew over the corn. Will know in the AM if it straightens back up by itself or if we'll have to get in there with the hoes and prop it back up.

I got some elderberry cuttings I'm trying to propagate, they don't looks so good. Gonna plant them where I had some raspberries that kinda died out for some reason. Only a few still alive, but not doing great. Other than that, what is growing in the garden has to be regularly watered. We're getting July weather here and it's not even the middle of June yet.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I can't like that.
thanks anyway Neighbor , been doing this a few years so it ain’t no surprise

one would think it’s something to get used to but it’s always a bad feeling in the gut when storms come through and reek havoc , it’s something only a,good harvest can erase.

anyway , good thing we have some backup that stayed safe under the shade cloth

east coast sour diesel from Rez and x ogers kush from oregon kid

72E24133-8DBB-4564-B190-06AB24D8990B.jpeg

5CE3DB5A-E1E2-4ADB-AE7D-C52717C1DD7D.jpeg

tomatoes by Burpee

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
It's actually quite amazing how pot plants come back from hail damage. Tomats too as long as there was no fruit. A person needs a fine net over the dang things that stops the stones but not the water.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
A guy I used to work with once told me that his uncles tomatoes one year got plummeted by large hail. In the end he had the best harvest ever. Since then he took to beating the hell out of the tomato plants every year.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
ECSD from rez?

Thats why your shit got fucked up, your growing cursed gear............

:secret:

I thought wesos did the ogers?

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Here's what snapping in the corner of one of my gardens.
20200611_075433_HDR.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
ECSD from rez?

Thats why your shit got fucked up, your growing cursed gear............

:secret:

I thought wesos did the ogers?
yep brother Wesos did the dirty and got the Rez cut from ghost who verified to ghost that it was indeed his ecsd and the male was an ogers from oregonkid , all this according to ghost

ghost also,has a new variation of his ghost cut and he calls it the ghost express.....says he got 3 pounds a light consistently.....I’d sure like that.

the ecsd x ogers seeds came from Wesos

pitw

Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Well I just got in from detreeing the onions and peas. I get a 100 feet of a row done while the kid sit's in air conditioning and deweeds 160 acres. Sometimes I think I ain't to smart at all.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My buddy's beets are up. What beauties!

613789149.jpg
IMG_0628.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Some nice surprises checking on the garden today.

Cucumber from direct seed on the left and from a plant that was started by seed indoors on the right. Direct to seed is outpacing the other in general growth while to my amazement the one I started indoors from seed has already produced a flower. Little worried about it, the wind has no trouble swaying it back and forth. Hoping it wasn't damaged and isn't dying.
Cucumber-2020-06-15-Img_4174SS.jpg

Cucumber-2020-06-15-Img_4173SS.jpg

This snow pea will probably be eating size by tomorrow. Once you start picking them the plant ups production rapidly.
Pea-2020-06-15-Img_4171SS.jpg

I was guessing these 2 unlabled pepper plants were Anaheim at first because of the texture but now as they have matured a little more I am leaning toward they are yellow banana peppers.

Pepper-2020-06-15-Img_4164SS.jpg

Pepper-2020-06-15-Img_4165SS.jpg

Have a tiny lunchbox pepper growing on this plant. Dying to try them!
Pepper-2020-06-15-Img_4166SS.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Some nice surprises checking on the garden today.

Cucumber from direct seed on the left and from a plant that was started by seed indoors on the right. Direct to seed is outpacing the other in general growth while to my amazement the one I started indoors from seed has already produced a flower. Little worried about it, the wind has no trouble swaying it back and forth. Hoping it wasn't damaged and isn't dying.
View attachment 169135

View attachment 169134

This snow pea will probably be eating size by tomorrow. Once you start picking them the plant ups production rapidly.
View attachment 169136

I was guessing these 2 unlabled pepper plants were Anaheim at first because of the texture but now as they have matured a little more I am leaning toward they are yellow banana peppers.

View attachment 169137

View attachment 169138

Have a tiny lunchbox pepper growing on this plant. Dying to try them!
View attachment 169139
Woohoo! Looking good Eric.

Just found out what kicked my button the other day... So I have regular and hot growing next to each other, but the hot ones are staying squat so I think I'll be good with ID'ing them.

The lunch box are fairly hefty producers ime.

IMG_20200614_170518901.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Woohoo! Looking good Eric.

Just found out what kicked my button the other day... So I have regular and hot growing next to each other, but the hot ones are staying squat so I think I'll be good with ID'ing them.

The lunch box are fairly hefty producers ime.

View attachment 169200
Thanks! My banana peppers are the hot variety. I've grown them before and liked them on pizzas and sandwiches or just about anything.

I noticed today walking the yard I have a nice big patch of milkweed coming up in an area I let them grow last year. Monarchs and hummingbirds should be thrilled. Some are budding most are just establishing but growing fast.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Gardens are looking good guys..
I thought I was getting a bit of a late start this year. Didn't start anything indoors. Ended up buying 6 packs of San mariano from menards for 189 a 6 pack.. They are doing great as are a bunch of others that i purchased. However, I also started some of the abbatistas (Tomatoes) last week. Got about a dozen that are already looking pretty good. Will probably transplant this weekend. Cukes as well.. Yesterday popped some long eggplant, fennel, artichokes, More tomatoes and a few other things. Still have herbs to get started.
Serranos and cayenne are looking great. More than 12" tall, not bad for only being transplanted a week ago. Bell peppers are taking their time but I expect they are pushing roots and any day now they will start shooting up. Same with some garden salsa peppers. They don't look so good. Don't care if they make i or not. Zucchini that I started from seed is already transplanted and doing well. With everything going down lately I decided to really up my game in the gardens this year. More succession planting and way more intensive than in all my previous years.. It's like my previous years were just practice leading up to this year.
More seeds in today from baker creek.. Some fall lettuces. Daikonradish to break up the soil. Just grow them and leave em in to rot.. I think Coopersmith told me about this?
Anyway, the plan is to hopefully have a later main harvest of peppers and tomatoes for salsa and canning. The peppers will just get hung to dry or dehydrated. Still working on the last of my dehydrated serranos from 2012 and I even gave 2 jars of them away. Probably my favorite hot peppers to cook with. Not only adds heat but I like the flavor as well. It's my go to pepper for salsa as well. Family already has orders in for 3 cases of salsa. I really need a good harvest this year.. Annies salsa recipe. Best shit ever. It's all over the internet if you have seen it.

Daughter will be here this weekend and I have her looking for a photo editor for me so I can start posting photos again. Pretty sure new misty was right and I just need to downsize some.. Unfortunately the link he gave me didn't work for me. Not sure why.
Oh and some of the roses are doing amazing this year. Some of the heads on them have 12or more roses. I'll take photos to show later..

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks! My banana peppers are the hot variety. I've grown them before and liked them on pizzas and sandwiches or just about anything.

I noticed today walking the yard I have a nice big patch of milkweed coming up in an area I let them grow last year. Monarchs and hummingbirds should be thrilled. Some are budding most are just establishing but growing fast.
I hereby declare you an honorary member of the Meadow Lawn Association. :green tea::autumn:

Right now we only have an east coast and Central US chapter but you could head up the Western division. :oriental:

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
I hereby declare you an honorary member of the Meadow Lawn Association. :green tea::autumn:

Right now we only have an east coast and Central US chapter but you could head up the Western division. :oriental:
I feel honored. :holding hands:

I also like to let the red clover bloom when practical. Main reason I mowed my main yard a few weeks ago was because I was starting to see wood ticks. Getting some nice clover blooms again but not as nice as the neighboring orchard has right now.

I still don't get why grass and mowing became such a big thing. Ultimately I would like the yard to be one big garden and meadow.
:mow lawn:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
We been eatin plenty of greens this spring, & so far the deer haven't destroyed anything.
They did tramp down the onions, & grazed the lettuce, but I now am playing talk radio on a timer in a bucket next to the scarecrow & bought some repellent things at a yard sale for a dollar & this week they are staying out.
Some pics:
From left to right Sweet potato bed in mulch, puny mellons, & sweet corn (argent) in the rear.
Wax beans, second lettuce planting & tomatos on stakes.
Pepper plants that I started indoors, then much nicer pepper plants I bought at the store. (I really need to up my indoor seedling game)
Main freezer green bean row. (Jade II)
Potato row (kenebecs & russett).
Onions from sets, Romane lettuce started from last year's saved seeds & snap peas on a too short trellis.
More Onion sets, Zucchini that you can't see.
A row of zinnia flowers just for nice.

P1010001.JPG

Really like eating these snap peas raw in salad.

P1010004.JPG

I am trying this year to train my roma tomatoes to trellis. I need to keep then pruned & spray w/ copper for leaf spot.
P1010008.JPG

Blueberries are starting to color up. Owl is to scare off birds.
I had ordered 6 plants to plant this spring from the local conservation district annual sale, but because of the covid lock down, they mailed back my check. Might just order from stark next spring.

P1010015.JPG

Sweet potato bed under mulch. First year I ever started my own slips. They were sad looking for the first week, but now are starting to look healthy.

P1010011.JPG

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
20200616_160347.jpg

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Nice. You should have flowers soon! A set of flowers on one of my tomato plants started dying off (the good way). Expecting to see tiny green tomatoes emerge soon. On my grape tomato wind knocked off my first set of flowers but a 2nd set is emerging.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Eric, you reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask regarding pinching the tops of the plants and whether you guys do it and if so at what juncture...

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
Eric, you reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask regarding pinching the tops of the plants and whether you guys do it and if so at what juncture...
I don't pinch the tops of tomato plants so I'm not sure when or why you would need to. With non-cherry/grape tomatoes I do the prune and stake method with about 7 feet of pole. So I cut the lower leaf stems at the base if they get close to the ground or have trouble and pick the suckers as they grow (the parts that grow above the leaf stem right where the leaf stem attaches tot he main stem).

Some people cut tops of peppers (prune them) so that they split. Similar to how basil splits as the cut the tops to get the plant bushier. With the short growing season here I don't normally prune peppers but some of the larger bushier plants I have purchased look like they may have been pruned at some point.

Not sure if that helped. :D

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I don't pinch the tops of tomato plants so I'm not sure when or why you would need to. With non-cherry/grape tomatoes I do the prune and stake method with about 7 feet of pole. So I cut the lower leaf stems at the base if they get close to the ground or have trouble and pick the suckers as they grow (the parts that grow above the leaf stem right where the leaf stem attaches tot he main stem).

Some people cut tops of peppers (prune them) so that they split. Similar to how basil splits as the cut the tops to get the plant bushier. With the short growing season here I don't normally prune peppers but some of the larger bushier plants I have purchased look like they may have been pruned at some point.

Not sure if that helped. :D
Sure, some good info.
My peppers are staying very squat so far so I'm not sure it's going to be worth it with those.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
The war in on, birds wrecked the cucumbers, lost about 1/3 of my peas.

Death walks between the rows

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got a third of an inch of rain today and the garden is loving it.

Also got some bug controllers for free.
Great pic CrAcKeR.

Got home from work and finally got my lazy butt to put the 4 Early Girl tomatoes in the ground that have been sitting in tiny little plastic flats for quite a while now. I found it ironic that my other tomatoes are now 4 to 5 ft tall and fruiting while the Early Girls are like 10 inches and just getting in the ground today. Doh!

Oh yeah picked a gigantic banana pepper today thing was almost as big as the plant.

Last edited:

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
I found an old screen door to cover my planters. The birdies can look but cannot touch.

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
My little corner of heaven making progress
20200618_104745.jpg
20200618_104042.jpg
20200618_104059.jpg
20200618_104221.jpg
20200618_104251.jpg
20200618_104116.jpg
20200618_104237.jpg
20200618_104451.jpg
20200618_104508.jpg
20200618_104525.jpg
20200618_104342.jpg

Last edited:

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

Varmint Hunter

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter ++
Hey Hunter have to ask ... is that rhubarb? Man am I missing strawberry rhubarb pie....
What looks like small rhubarb is actually Swiss chard.
My wife used to make strawberry rhubarb jelly.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Super nice patch Varmint Hunter!

===============================================

The new usda drought report/monitor is posted, as it is every Friday.

Looking grim on the high plains of eastern Colorado.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Man what a healthy, vibrant garden VH! Beautiful.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I've let portions of my lawn grow and I think it was last year some lilies popped up for the first time on the back side of my backyard. Couple days ago I happened to glance out and see a bunch of orange and remember that that were there.

IMG_20200618_181516500.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The Canna lillies are just poking out

IMG_20200618_181634574.jpg
IMG_20200618_181607846.jpg
IMG_20200618_181552041.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Strawberries and raspberry are booming too... It's going to be another year or so before I fence these off from the wild life but I think I'm going to need to transplant somewhere else to keep away from the Slugs

IMG_20200618_181703889.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
My aloe has had finally had enough containment and decided to jump pot...

IMG_20200618_181755069.jpg
IMG_20200618_181732827.jpg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
My garden is off to a slow start. We had a lot of cool weather.

Attachments