• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

What’s Cracking In The Garden 2022

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

gnome

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Holy friggin jeesuz gnome! Them chumpy's look well fed.
Mostly just time. Sowed in fall and left them just a bit too long, some went to seed. White flowers in the background. Next year I should have enough seed to sow indiscriminately.

In the foreground is Taro (yay, a staple), first time growing it. Under the Taro is Purslane (yum!) which is a favored weed, and to the left New Zealand Spinach, which has self-seeded itself all around the yard. Just sowed some Daikon radish in the open space of that bed. Oh, and also in that bed there's some ginger that hasn't popped up yet.

sato 20220516_191412.jpg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
About to make spinach dip so pulled some wild onions up front the front yard.
20220521_205017.jpg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Brownies make your poop stick to your ass. I dont eat those.

WTF man........

:don't know:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
well I think we survived

covered tomato’s and jalapeños with hay and some pots , everything gets uncovered today and maybe this week we will get some corn in the ground along with some other odds and ends veggies

all the potted flowers were brought indoors

the medical plants were kept indoors so no harm there…they will get put in the ground this week

neighbors apple tree will survive too

86F76800-A3C0-4D40-993F-25C90ABE2211.jpeg

82676155-E2BA-4F9D-9F9F-27B17651F441.jpeg

96B2586B-4CF9-4F2C-9DF6-F44A7EA7D5D6.jpeg

82DAC65D-13B1-4DA7-81ED-879C229972AC.jpeg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
At least you got some moisture.

Hi five for Sandra's tree.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
well I think we survived
I just checked the unreliable weather app and it looks like we're in for more freezing at night... 31° Tuesday night... out on the plains it could be colder? Though you're probably lower than 7K ft there...?

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I just checked the unreliable weather app and it looks like we're in for more freezing at night... 31° Tuesday night... out on the plains it could be colder? Though you're probably lower than 7K ft there...?
low of 46 tonite, called for prowers county.

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Brownies make your poop stick to your ass. I dont eat those.

WTF man........

:don't know:

MONSIEUR MANGETOUT’S LEGEND BEGINS
Before we get to the incredible feat itself, you probably need a little context right about now. So buckle up for the story of Lotito’s extraordinary life. He was born in Grenoble, France, in 1950. From the age of nine, he developed an unusual tolerance for—and fondness for—eating dangerous objects like glass and metal, which are generally indigestible.

According to legend, this first bout of unusual eating came about when a glass the young Lotito was drinking from shattered and he began chewing the fragments. Why this sort of thing was encouraged, nobody can really say, but the young man was soon examined and tested by doctors and gastroenterologists. His ability was unique, they determined, attributing it to a condition known as pica. This gave Michel a taste for unusual, non-nutritive items.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Planted some stuff today. A few tomato plants, celery, thyme, marigolds. Heading out shortly to do more.

Still holding off a bit on the peppers and basil since we just had an annoying stretch of cold weather. Hopefully now we're done with lows in the 30s. If the forecast holds I can start putting those out Friday. I guess I shouldn't consider that too out of line. I have started to consider June 1 the average pepper planting day. Used to always be May 15.

Lettuce has been producing really well. The one plus side of the cold weather is that's what lettuce wants.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
More planting today. Gotta get some pics but it's been busy and now it's gonna rain which is great after planting.

Found a fox turd in the garden. Thanks buddy. So I checked the cam footage from this morning.

Fox-picture20220524_205042_000000C1S.jpg

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
red fox. Just use exclusion (fence)to keep him out of the garden. He is eating rodents and bugs.

He might not be your worst enemy, you might get to be friends.

Last edited:

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I have to do some work on that Lilac this year. it's really taking over. Going to try and propagate it as well as dig up some shoots and replant them. Goal is like 1/4 acre of lilacs.
1st year in a very long time I have had a cool enough spring to actually grow lettuce.
Tomatoes, peppers, squash are going in in the morning. Shitloads of herbs are starting to pop up now.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Looks pretty fancy over there.

Does it rain?

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Looks pretty fancy over there.

Does it rain?
Yea we've had a lot of rain this spring. Nice and cool too. Thats 1 rose bush. it's really filling out nicely. If I could only get the others to do the same I could have several nice hedges going.

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
set a trap IF it is legal
No need here. They are good at ridding me of woodchucks and stuff.
red fox. Just use exclusion (fence)to keep him out of the garden. He is eating rodents and bugs.

He might not be your worst enemy, you might get to be friends.
Exactly. He's my buddy. There's a family of rabbits nearby that I am hoping he can help with.

Soon I'll have the deer fence up around the food garden and shouldn't have issues.

specsaregood

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
well i'm done planting for the season boyz. Unless i find something really good and on clearance in the next couple weeks before summer swim season starts.
ok, well I had to do it. The best plants we got this season were the berries from a local commercial outfit. I guess they just keep growing hundreds of new plants in pots every year in case they need them/replace old plants. And they sell off extras cheap. So I got an alert early last week about a sale on Aronia chokeberries. Ended up with 10 of these huge beautiful plants for next to nothing. I got the impression they over produced them and had underwhelming demand. Got em all in the ground now, and I'm official done digging holes for awhile unless we end up with bodies to dispose of.

1UosF3R.png

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
we have had some nice rain here the last two days and it finally looks like Old Man Winter and his sidekick Jack Frost have finally left town for good and won’t be back until this fall

so with that in mind , we will try to plant the garden and raised beds this week

potatoes , corn , beets , turnips , and carrots are first on the priority list and the medicine plants

so goodbye cold weather and hello hail , Gail force winds , and grasshoppers

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
grasshoppers

You may already know this, planting marigolds next to plants really helps with grasshoppers.

Last 2 years grasshoppers were very bad here but since I had marigolds all over the garden they mostly just ate those and left alone my other plants.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
the hoppers have been bad here last few years, they will girdle a plant. they come w the drought, double

I have been using a calmag supplement, and silica, and loads of kelp meal, the ones (plants) that live are absolutely stunning

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
You may already know this, planting marigolds next to plants really helps with grasshoppers.

Last 2 years grasshoppers were very bad here but since I had marigolds all over the garden they mostly just ate those and left alone my other plants.

yes sir , we love the marigolds and have a lot of them in our gardens

the thing that really upped my game against the hoppers was chickens

i can’t say enough good things about the birds and their symbiotic relationship with the garden , most of it good lol but yeah , if I let the birds free range in the garden before the plants are established , they can and will do a lot of damage

chrisflhtc

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Garden 1.jpg

Tomatoes peppers green beans peas lima beans

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

EricTheCat

An ant on a hill.
Gold Chaser
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
My properly disorganized garden today.

Garden-2022-05-25-Img_1194S.jpg

Thyme, marigolds, sage, celery, tomato and a big patch of oregano that wants to take over the world
Garden-2022-05-25-Img_1190S.jpg

Lettuce and carrots
Garden-2022-05-25-Img_1192S.jpg

Thyme, celery, marigolds and tomato
Garden-2022-05-25-Img_1193S.jpg

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score

newmisty

DUPPY CONQUERER
Site Supporter ++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
They are handy containers. I had good luck with them. Got them at Menards a few years ago.
I miss Menards! I'm still using some really nice Erwin bar clamps I bought there at Penney's on the dollar one of my best tool purchases to date.

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Salad for dinner tonight. Lettuce from the garden anyway. Not sure what all that other stuff is in that bed but I planted a bunch of things that never took off or just got overgrown by what's there. Gonna throw a yellow squash in there with a few pepper as well.
_DSC0035.JPG

Cigarlover

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
_DSC0036.JPG
I Never got around to planting garlic in the fall but had a few leftovers I guess. I'll use them for seed this year. Might let a few scapes survive and grow from those as well and might even let a few go to seed and start some garlic seeds next year as well.
A few tomatoes in that bed as well and have 5 more going in tonight.
_DSC0029.JPG
All those bushes out there with the white flowers are wild blackberries. Excellent berries and this year my property is loaded with them. I'll get a couple friends out here next month picking like crazy. Plenty for us and the birds. One of my cats out in the tall grass just looking for some meat.
_DSC0038.JPG
Lemongrass and Orange Thyme. 30 gallon container which is way overkill. When my daughter was here last week she planted a bunch of herbs. Basil, 2 types of thyme, sage, parsley, rosemary, A few others as well but forget off the top of my head.

Last edited: