• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's behind the beatdown on palladium?

chieftain

Silver Miner
It's down 11% from this time yesterday. Anyone know what gives?

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Well it's up from $500. not so long ago ~2016.
Hardly a beat down.

the_shootist

Old White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
I'm not sure how and why it got so high in the first place. What we're seeing these last weeks are long overdue, major adjustments in all metals. Some metals are undervalued, some over valued

Ragnarok

I'd rather be
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
People aren’t buying as many cars as they used to, so less demand for catalytic metal?

R.

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I'm not sure how and why it got so high in the first place. What we're seeing these last weeks are long overdue, major adjustments in all metals. Some metals are undervalued, some over valued
I am with you. The catalytic converter argument seemed to explain the run up in price when palladium cost less than platinum, but once palladium got more expensive, that reason stopped making sense to me.

What else is palladium good for? Coins? No way the US Mint decision to make a palladium offering caused that big of a price swing. Right?

Usc96

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
People aren’t buying as many cars as they used to, so less demand for catalytic metal?

R.
That is logical, but seems the auto makers would have shifted back to platinum once palladium doubled the price of platinum. That was the stated reason 5 year’s ago for the move to palladium to start with - that platinum was too expensive and palladium was almost as good, but at half the price.

stas3000

Silver Miner
Seeker
From what I've read/heard, one of the major reasons palladium and rhodium prices have been rising in recent years has been supply shortage. Not sure that usage has been increasing... may have been. But with stable usage and contracting supply, prices normally rise.