• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

What's Cracking In The Garden 2017

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Nice looking produce there lump!..that's some great ingredients for a hot vegetable soup on a cold night!....
Speaking of cold , check out our forecast:..
Ay ay ay! Brrr!

I wait to make my famous Italian spring veggie stew when the fava beans come in. I render a pound or so of pancetta, stuff some artichokes with mint and garlic, braise them up nice in the fat and then a make a stew with the fresh fava beans. Nobody has ever refused a 2nd helping! ;-)

After moving away from the Rocky Mountain Front Range, I've never missed winter!

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Wife gave me a list of seeds she asked me to order. I also noticed a stack of seed packages on the counter she must have bought. I think she must be getting the urge as well.

plant.jpg

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
J32 , thanks for the reminders...reminds me of the Three Sisters planting method....
And we are off...a little early for Zone 5b.
But one thing about the high plains , besides constant wind , the weather can sneek up on a gardner and the next thing one knows is they are in crisis management mode , putting out fires and playing ketchup.....
Tomatoes today , 6 varieties , cherries and hybrids , got tired of heirloom varieties , never know if they will produce or not...
Will do a second tomato and pepper run later for backup , fecking hailstorm can wipe a person out pronto...
We are going to buy 1 if not 2 12'x20' hoop house like the ones in the photo from a friends grow...
The 3 cannabis are Legend OG and good medicine..

0303181440.jpg
0303181441.jpg

Here are the hoop houses......and a photo of a garden about 90 miles from here...
backyard-011.jpg
gh4-004.jpg
988d5172f89471a0174c35bfe105993f.jpg

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
pardon my ignorance, sir cracker, but are those pot plants growing in the fields in the last picture? Not high enough resolution to tell.

BF

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
J32 , thanks for the reminders...reminds me of the Three Sisters planting method....
And we are off...a little early for Zone 5b.
But one thing about the high plains , besides constant wind , the weather can sneek up on a gardner and the next thing one knows is they are in crisis management mode , putting out fires and playing ketchup.....
Tomatoes today , 6 varieties , cherries and hybrids , got tired of heirloom varieties , never know if they will produce or not...
Will do a second tomato and pepper run later for backup , fecking hailstorm can wipe a person out pronto...
We are going to buy 1 if not 2 12'x20' hoop house like the ones in the photo from a friends grow...
The 3 cannabis are Legend OG and good medicine..

View attachment 100189
I have about 40 AK47 seeds to start/plant this winter. Gotta get some "free" flowers this year instead of buying it.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
pardon my ignorance, sir cracker, but are those pot plants growing in the fields in the last picture? Not high enough resolution to tell.

BF
Also wanted to mention those buildings off to the right..
An inside look.
All legal.

198247183df69d2f0a28dfe65329d10c.jpg
d3f44a4f8742d5f3c9e04da8ca516eba.jpg
255a7991510d3cb5d9148b3980053e27.jpg
3fe6aa19eb4303e5e179a29113987321.jpg

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Cracker, not to get to far off topic in the gardening thread, but, what's your opinion of CBD cannabidiol oil for pain? Capsules or oil?
It's legal to buy in my state, have tried a few other the counter pills and other stuff with only marginal results.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Cracker, not to get to far off topic in the gardening thread, but, what's your opinion of CBD cannabidiol oil for pain? Capsules or oil?
It's legal to buy in my state, have tried a few other the counter pills and other stuff with only marginal results.
Lt , oil , uptake can be oral or topical..
I've heard it helps certain pain , like joints and muscles as a topical..
Oral caps , think children and seizures...
100's of parents move to Colorado for oil for seizures and finding help for their children..cbd oil , think Charlotte Web....
But we know so little about medicinal value of cannabis because no research , Schedule 1.....

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
But we know so little about medicinal value of cannabis because no research , Schedule 1.....
What's available through Amazon is mostly coming out of Canada I think. Not sure, but I think other countries besides the US have made some advancements in research with cannabis while the US is still fighting the senseless drug war out of ignorance. While I don't necessarily agree with recreational use for no reason other than to get high, I do think more research is needed in the medical use.

That stuff oil and gelcaps sold through Amazon is the CBD type, so, not supposed to be any highs involved.

Like the use of St Johns Wort for depression, way safer that what the fda approves here in the US, other countries do approve it.

I know, jury is still out, just wondered about it for that neck, back and joints pain relief. By joints, not talking about the kind a person might smoke! :weed:

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
I read somewhere that St John's wort was used in Europe for 80% of low level depression...
Of course there's no money in that plant.
Checkout Bluebird Botanicals in Colorado.
Organic grown in Colorado certified hemp farms...
There's a pretty fair sized hemp from about 150 miles south of here....

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I read somewhere that St John's wort was used in Europe for 80% of low level depression...
The shrink at the VA was prescribing me anti-depressants, which were doing nothing at all for my depression that goes along with PTSD and only caused other issues. I did some research about St Johns Wort and asked him about it. He told me that it was used in Europe and I could try it if I wished, but to go off his meds at the same time to prevent any interaction. So I did and the depression went away, well, except for every once in a while feeling a bit down due to other causes, issues with weather or a situation. Fact is I no longer even have to see a shrink, even for the PTSD. I tell the medical doc, I'm stable, lots of sh!t happens in the stable. Good for a laugh!

OTOH, I may do some more research into CBD oil, even try a bottle to see what the results might be, it's only money right, can't take it with me, may as well spend it, keep the grand kids from fighting over it.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
They sell CBD oils in Chillicothe at waterbeds and stuff. The local head shop. I bought some for my daughters migraines and it worked somewhat. She still prefers to smoke, she likes to get high and also the relief from migraines as well as PMS symptoms. Although the migraines have gone away since she switched to a mostly vegan diet.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
They sell CBD oils in Chillicothe at waterbeds and stuff.
Thanks, I'll be sure and check it out - soon. Been a while since I've been in there, fact is, we've bought some stuff from there in the past. Had not thought of them.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Thanks, I'll be sure and check it out - soon. Been a while since I've been in there, fact is, we've bought some stuff from there in the past. Had not thought of them.
You should also check various smoke shops. They typically have the 100% CBD oils that you can use topically or sublingually for pain relief. I use it on my joints when the weather is changing or I get a little injury twinge.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
The garden is about done with cabbage, now I hope to get some smaller secondary heads (tennis ball size) for other fried cabbage meals. Now is time for sauerkraut, I know it's not the most popular, but who doesn't like it on sausages?

CabbagetoKraut.gif

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Well chit a brick. Its still fecking to cold out here to do anything.
This Thread will die unless we get some sunshine....
Lets see , anything look green to you fellow gardeners?...

0313181152c.jpg

What about the other side of the road?....

0313181152a.jpg

How about down the road?......

0313181152b.jpg

HELP!......WE NEED WATER!......

andial

((( member )))
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looks very dry there hope you get some rain.

glockngold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
spinalcracker,
Don't guess you spend too many weekends at the local motorcycle hill climbs?

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
spinalcracker,
Don't guess you spend too many weekends at the local motorcycle hill climbs?
No sir we don't....
But we can cover some territory at the flat track!..
A lot of people are truly surprised when they travel across the prairies and high plains of eastern Colorado.
Vast open flat prairies and rolling hills , very poor farming and ranching land.
Mostly because of drought.
It takes a lot of work to manage the land out here. Its very fragile and just one step away from turning into a desert.
We like the crowds out here , 1 person per sq mile and less than 200 in town.
People are friendly , helpful , and everyone is packing heat.
Not much fuckery out on the prairies.
We have a couple flats of tomatoes and peppers sprouting.
Garlic is up.
Lots of onion sets to plant in a week or two.
We are trying a no till approach this season. Or limited tilling. Hopefully this will help keep the soil full of good stuff.
Worm farm is producing. We harvested over 5 gallons of worm poop. Its great fertilizer.
Chickens are starting to lay more eggs now.
We do not add supplemental light and force them to lay all year. We just let the birds do their thing all year.
Lots of preparation still going on.
Spring is just around the corner!.....

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Garlic is up.
Lots of onion sets to plant in a week or two.
Chickens are starting to lay more eggs now.
We do not add supplemental light and force them to lay all year. We just let the birds do their thing all year.
Lots of preparation still going on.
Spring is just around the corner!.....
I had planned to plant my onion sets last week, didn't do it, they would not have done anything anyway, turned out to be too cold, not even above freezing yet today.

I have some seed potatoes to plant, not gonna do it on St Patrick's Day though, wait until about the end of the month. They are still saying it could snow, no point in rushing it.

Garlic is doing good, what I planted last fall, wife gave me some she said was too small to use, too hard to peel I think she said, plan on planting it and seeing if it will get bigger. I usually save a few of the larger bulbs to split and plant, as I have the idea, I get bigger garlic bulbs from bigger starts. Have thought of trying some different kinds.

I started new chickens last summer, they started laying about the time the old hens went into molt and quit laying, so I had eggs all winter. Then, I didn't cull out the old hens, so they are all in there together, a bit of a challenge to determine new from old, except some of the old are a little different color. I had 10 hens, now I have 20 and one rooster. I was going to put eggs in the incubator but decided to hold off on that. I got 16 eggs yesterday, way more than I can use myself. We sell a few and give a few to a friend that is on very limited income. He sometimes does not eat them right away, so he was telling my how he found a way to freeze them in ice cube trays. Guess it actually works as he was telling me he tried it and later took some out and cooked them and was pleased with how it worked. On average, I'd say we get about a dozen eggs a day over time, more one day less then next and so on. Also, I got a huge pile of chicken poop to haul out and till into the garden. Better spread it kinda thin as it is so high in nitrogen, it could kill plants.

Cigarlover

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
I didn't get my onions in either, to cold. May get them in next week or the week after. leaving for Pittsburgh tomorrow for a few days of poker, then again next week for the main event at the end of the week so not much time for gardening.
After that should be very busy in the gardens. Popping seeds and getting ready for the warmer weather.

Last edited:

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Its that time again. Weve been prewatering to till, and have our onions in. The garlic is coming on, as are the potato onions. Ill start the tomatoes, pepper, and eggplant seed the first of april for putout june 1. We ended up buying 3 acres on the arkansas river, with ditch water, to expand our veggie business. I think I might be in over my head. Also have cuts rooting for a hemp lite dep, well be growing the cannatonic perkins cut, for sale to a CBD processor.

Not much to report, just getting started.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I'd love to be where I had to pre water. fact is I think this is the last rain for a week then I think it is going to skip and dry. Then I kind of think we are going to be wet all summer and dry and clear all winter, Yeah....but I do drinks the cider and beer,,,,

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Coopersmith , thanks for stopping by......you all are a few weeks ahead of us. Our onions go in this week. Like you , our garlic is up. Do you all have any chickens this year? I bet your farm hands are growing up and are a big help around the farm.
But not much else happening here either.
Isn't that Catatonic the same as Charlottes Web? Looks the the Colorado hemp market is taking off. There are a few folks you may know who are growing hemp over on the western slope , Gunnison area. I think CedarberryFarms knows some hemp farmers over there. They are enforcing the 12 plant count across the board. Ganja gardeners are retiring or moving.
Just a few trays of veggies and stuff incubating.
It won't be long now!...

0320181624.jpg
0320181624a.jpg
0320181624b.jpg