• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Where to start..........................

............I am sure is a regularly repeated question, but I am anxious to get going on buying some gold because Gerald Celente, Gary Null, and other culture observers along with Richard Martin plus the profoundly irresponsible behavior of the money controllers in our country demand that we accomplish some measure of insulation against a bad end to all the bad policies.

Kruggerand (is there only 1 kind/source?) has a good rep and a decent gold content, yes?

Spot price plus the smallest amount over spot is the way to buy, yes?

Does anyone like anything better than the Kruggerand?

I am understanding that owning the actual gold is the only way to go vis a vis gold funds? I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything other than owning the gold itself. Accordingly, however, what do you do with the gold once you get it? Hiding it in the house sounds pretty hazardous, yes?

Appreciate and grateful for anyone's patience with a beginner.

Thanks.

Strawboss

Joined GIM in 2005
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Welcome to the board...

Yes - you want gold you can hold in your hand. You cant go wrong with Kruggerands...they are common and easily recognizable... Eagles and Maples would be good too...

The rule of thumb is to buy at spot plus as little as possible :-)

Stay away from the fancy/rare coins...lots of mischief in that market if you dont know what you are doing...stick with the common stuff...

Hystckndle

Daguerreotype Fanatic
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum friend !
Listen to Strawboss above and Corneliis.
They know their stuff !

Its not so much important HOW you start.
But that you DO start.
Come back to this thread and post a pic of what you pick up will ya ???

:)

Regards,

Canadian-guerilla

hunter-gatherer
Gold Chaser
Gold is nice to have
but you can get 73(?) SILVER ounces for one gold coin

( a little issue as to which PM has the better future )

The main point being to change your FIAT paper money into something tangible
Yes, something you can hold in your hand

SILVER and Gold has been used as currency for THOUSANDS OF YEARS
there's a reason for that

paraphrasing . . .

Gold is the currency of kings
SILVER is the currency of merchants
Debt ( fiat money ) is the chains that keep men slaves

Scorpio

Скорпион
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Welcome aboard, good time to start accumulating,

a few suggestions:

don't buy ebay/etc unless from reputable dealers
visit our dealer rating threads for more intel on specific dealers
as suggested, lowest over spot including shipping
watch for people/companies selling stuff they don't have in stock

That is why we chose JMB, the link at the top, as a sponsor, they meet all of these criteria

http://www.jmbullion.com/

regarding types of metals, everyone has their own preferences, whether it is AGE'S, SAE's, generics, Krugs, Maples, etc.

that you have the pleasure of finding out for yourself

Good Luck

louky

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Sounds like you have a good grasp on the reason to buy, but my advice is to purchase a fractional piece, maybe a sovereign or a 4 ducat. Watch the "value" tank endlessly for the next month or so. Day after day, after day. If you're still happy with your purchase in a month, then start buying in more heavily.

Got it.

Is there a purveyor source that everyone feels comfortable with? Swiss America was recommended to me, but that's all I know.....the name.

Or............. is the spot / purchase spread dancing around so much that there really is no consistent source?

Does a purveyor source offer anything apart from price that I should look for? Service (whatever that means in this arena), free shipping, minimum purchase, assortment of denomination or weight sizes, etc?

Though trained to orient to currency or fiat paper - now digital electrons, the undeniable 7,000 year dependability of Gold and Silver is unassailable and I am feeling pretty good about getting started.

Cornelius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Got it.

Is there a purveyor source that everyone feels comfortable with? Swiss America was recommended to me, but that's all I know.....the name.

Or............. is the spot / purchase spread dancing around so much that there really is no consistent source?

Does a purveyor source offer anything apart from price that I should look for? Service (whatever that means in this arena), free shipping, minimum purchase, assortment of denomination or weight sizes, etc?

Though trained to orient to currency or fiat paper - now digital electrons, the undeniable 7,000 year dependability of Gold and Silver is unassailable and I am feeling pretty good about getting started.
I personally, have never heard of Swiss America.
I am very happy with "Texas Precious Metals". Found here https://www.texmetals.com/

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Being new to this, I am unclear how people buy precious metals in terms of using it in the event of Fed Reserve or overall collapse.

The denomination. Do people buy gold in 1.00 and 2.00 values so that the precious metal can actually be used as daily currency or is the concept that in the event of a calamity, one would find a broker and turn a portion of their bulk precious metals into lumps of currently workable paper money? Struggling to get this question out.....does it make sense?

I was having an online chat with an Ampex person and they said they see a number of people buying ....bags of junk silver.....to use as daily currency.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Hmmm, 'use as daily currency'... that very well could be 'in the future' when there is a currency reset, but not today.
If that does happen, the silver content (90% 1964 and before) will decide what its value will be.

How does one use gold or silver as a daily currency? Good question.
I get the sense you are thinking in terms of today's dollar denominated system?

How did they use it 100 years ago? Same way.

Who will 'buy' it? Gold and silver markets are everywhere in the world. It just depends on which currency you swap it for.

Think of PM's as insurance. You buy it not as an investment with a return, but protection in case something happens.

If you bought 1 oz of gold in 1920 when it was $20.68/oz and today the POG is $1168/oz did you make a 'profit'?

The answer is NO! You still have 1 oz of gold! It did not change one bit.

However, the value of the dollar declined a whole bunch!!

There's an old saying that you can buy a good quality man's suit for 1 oz of gold. Still true today!

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter

I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything other than owning the gold itself. Accordingly, however, what do you do with the gold once you get it? Hiding it in the house sounds pretty hazardous, yes?

Appreciate and grateful for anyone's patience with a beginner.

Thanks.
I will address this question, as you have already received good advice on the other questions.

Be resourceful & find a secure place at home to keep/hide your treasure.
Do not keep anything of value in a bank (un)safe deposit box as it is NOT safe.
The IRS has access without your knowledge.
The bank could close.
It is NOT insured
You only have access 5 days a week/8 hrs a day.

Also consider finding a reputable local dealer so you can see what you are buying.
This also eliminates the nervous time between buying & receiving.

Then, when you buy, pay cash to eliminate records & it is in your hands immediately.
JM2C

That you ....DO .....start is insightful.

It is a dizzying enterprise, getting started, and I have procrastinated, but am now fired up again to accomplish some traction.

I have made notes from all of the wonderful suggestions here and am trying to cobble them into a frame of reference so I can feel moderately confident when I make the first buy. I am sure subsequent buys after the first get slightly ................ easier?

Hystckndle

Daguerreotype Fanatic
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Try this;
Just buy a few ounces of silver or something small.
Quarter / fractional ounce piece of gold maybe.
Once thats done and its in hand.
Think about setting up a weekly or monthly schedule to do the same.
One bite at a time.