• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Which physical has the lowest spread in your opinion?

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
For gold and silver if you just want to play the game with physical, what currently has the lowest spread? Are there other factors to consider?

ErrosionOfAccord

#1 Global Warmer
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
The spreads increase and decrease based on the price of the goods. If silver hit thirteen today the spread would increase a good bit. You're lever playing on a level court.

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Depends on where you go, I got old sterling rounds at the fun show for 13.00 an ounce, well under spot, got some silver bars .25 over, many had bars, rounds 1$+ over melt. Absolute best place to buy is a good coin show

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Depends on where you go, I got old sterling rounds at the fun show for 13.00 an ounce, well under spot, got some silver bars .25 over, many had bars, rounds 1$+ over melt. Absolute best place to buy is a good coin show
But to take advantage of the spread you gotta be able to sell it. Good luck selling sterling rounds for a profit.

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
I don't mind paying a premium if I collect it on the back end (like ASEs)

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Dayum Rip, you brought me back to the crash from silber being 50 dropping all the way to low 30's. I waltzed into the local store and tried to buy at spot. The guy looked at me and only because he was a kind soul said he couldn't do that. I'm sure anybody else would have blown a gasket. He took a beating. He had convinced me a few days before to sell my sterling pieces to him. Was a thousand bucks worth. Once I realized what he lost, not so much my transaction but through all the purchases he made, I felt so bad for him. Not bad enough to give him his money back because that was already spent.

Anywho, I think the better spread on either would be to buy larger pieces and quantities.

<SLV>

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I always thought Maple Leafs had a tight spread.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I felt so bad for him. Not bad enough to give him his money back because that was already spent.
Yea, try to never feel that bad. lol
....and always remember that for the transaction to have occurred at all, both parties were happy with it at the time. Could have went the other way and he made out like a bandit. Would he have shared with you, a big gain realized the day after you sold to him? Doubtful. I'm sure he'd have been happy to sell it all back to you for the higher price though. It's all just bidness.

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Yea, try to never feel that bad. lol
....and always remember that for the transaction to have occurred at all, both parties were happy with it at the time. Could have went the other way and he made out like a bandit. Would he have shared with you, a big gain realized the day after you sold to him? Doubtful. I'm sure he'd have been happy to sell it all back to you for the higher price though. It's all just bidness.
The guy was a friend to me.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
The guy was a friend to me.
I didn't say don't feel bad at all, just not to feel that bad to point of goin' back on the deal.
....and if he was a friend, sounds like he gave his friend damn good advice to sell when he did.

Here's the real question. Had you had any idea the price was gonna crater very soon, would you have still let him talk you into sellin'? (to him)

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I didn't say don't feel bad at all, just not to feel that bad to point of goin' back on the deal.
....and if he was a friend, sounds like he gave his friend damn good advice to sell when he did.

Here's the real question. Had you had any idea the price was gonna crater very soon, would you have still let him talk you into sellin'? (to him)
I would have sold it to his competition if I knew that was coming.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Cheapest bullion. Bars or rounds

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
What's a tight spread for you guys? As a baseline I could buy something on eBay and sell it back and lose 10% in the transaction between PayPal and eBay fees if I have a store plus shipping.

Mujahideen

Black Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I would guess 90% by the $1000 face.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
I’ve observed premiums/spreads vary wildly on 90% in particular over the years.

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
Is there anything that consistently beats a 10% spread?

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
In my opinion based on observations, cheapest premium bullion....usually larger bars, sometimes generic coins have the lowest spread. Next would be ASE’s. On average it seems to me that most dealers will pay a little premium for ASE’s in normal times and everything else is lumped together at a slight discount. Of course there are cycles where things are different so your mileage may vary.

These days I buy whatever I can get at spot or less wth an occasional ASE purchase when they go on sale.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I understood the OP question as being a spread to make % when buying and selling. If just looking for cheap metal the question would be "which physical has the lowest premium."

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
I understood the OP question as being a spread to make % when buying and selling. If just looking for cheap metal the question would be "which physical has the lowest premium."
Exactly, I think we all could figure out how to get the lowest premium when we buy, the trouble comes when you sell.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Site Supporter
Mother Lode
are we playing spot price or dearness? there is no buy cheap premium sell high premium in the market. an absurd question, if posed

perhaps a time frame of multiple years to speculate on such movements? otherwise an exercise in futility -

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
are we playing spot price or dearness? there is no buy cheap premium sell high premium in the market. an absurd question, if posed

perhaps a time frame of multiple years to speculate on such movements? otherwise an exercise in futility -
True dat. If someone is looking for a vehicle to try to make a quick buck off spot change, then paper it is.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
SAE's have the highest liquidity (and privacy - no reporting on any amount) and the tightest spread. I sold sealed boxes of Eagles to Apmex during the runup in 2011 for $6 over spot - I paid $2 over spot in 2003.

In a down market, you can usually recover about half of the premium on Eagles. When nobody (dealers) wants to pay fair market value for rounds, bars, or junk, they will pay it for Eagles. You go to the front of the line with Eagles, especially when everybody wants to sell.

Rip Van Winkle

Seeker
Seeker
SAE's have the highest liquidity (and privacy - no reporting on any amount) and the tightest spread. I sold sealed boxes of Eagles to Apmex during the runup in 2011 for $6 over spot - I paid $2 over spot in 2003.

In a down market, you can usually recover about half of the premium on Eagles. When nobody (dealers) wants to pay fair market value for rounds, bars, or junk, they will pay it for Eagles. You go to the front of the line with Eagles, especially when everybody wants to sell.
Excellent observation, just the answer I was looking for.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling

Sometimes.