• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Why And How Should You Invest In Silver

southfork

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++

Gold isn’t the only game in town, even though you’d never know it by watching late night TV.
Here’s what to know and what to consider if you’d like to invest in silver.
What Does Investing In Silver Mean?
Investing in silver means putting your money into the production, trading or outright ownership of silver metal. For most investors this means buying quantities of bullion in coin or bar form and holding onto it.
While silver is technically a commodity like any other, precious metals are somewhat different as an asset class. Unlike crude oil, corn or lumber, the value of silver isn’t limited to its consumption uses. In fact, while silver does have non-trivial industrial applications, most of its value comes from its status as an investment vehicle.
Like gold, the price of silver is chiefly driven by market demand. Since silver is used relatively rarely compared to other industrial metals it does not have production/consumption cycles of most commodities. Instead its value is chiefly driven by either long term investors or those seeking to ride out a down market. Often this means that silver (again, like gold) tends to perform counter-cyclically to the stock market.
Silver Is Not Better Money
It is, however, at this point that we should note the enormous volume of bad reporting on the subject of precious metals investment.
Many articles written on this subject urge investors to put their money into silver and gold because these assets are “real money” and inherently safer than fiat currencies. This is wrong.
Silver has limited inherent value. While, unlike a fiat currency, its supply is limited, like a fiat currency it is real money only to the extent that other parties will to accept it in trade. Investors who believe in the “real money” theory of silver should try paying their bills in specie and see exactly how far that will get them. Others should consider the asset’s high (sometimes enormous) volatility index compared to that of the dollar.
Fiat currency has structural value because of its ties to a national economy and its role in tax collection. Silver does not. Its value is driven almost entirely by supply and demand with some influence from industrial applications. That does not make it a poor choice of investment, but it does mean that its value depends entirely on what someone else is willing to give you for it, Just like currencies, stocks and pretty much every other form of investment on the market.
It is no less real than any of those, but no more so either. The fact that you can hold it in your hand doesn’t change that.
Why Invest In Silver?
Compared with gold, silver is generally cheaper. An investor can buy more silver for less money, making it potentially popular choice for lower capitalization investors.
Silver is also more volatile than gold. For active investors this can make silver a potentially lucrative investment, as its tendency toward price swings can lead to sharp upward movements. Much of this volatility comes from the fact that silver is a smaller market than gold, and that gold tends to draw more investors seeking more stability in uncertain markets.
Compared with stocks and paper investments, however, silver is still generally seen as a safe haven for investment during market instability. Despite its volatility, investors will often move their money into precious metals at the beginning of a downturn.
Finally, silver is seen as a more liquid safe investment than other non-market options like government bonds. While the high volatility of silver can make selling more difficult, as you may have to wait for the price you want, it is still easier to end your position than in a Treasury bond, and often for a better (if still relatively low) return.
How to Invest in Silver
There are a number of ways you can include silver among your assets:
Silver Bullion
Perhaps the most popular way to invest in silver, you can simply purchase quantities of the metal outright.
This method has the advantage of simplicity. You own the asset outright and can sell it at any time for market price, typically minus a dealer commission. You are responsible for storage, insurance and logistics, but you also don’t have to deal with any third parties. While you are exposed to the full volatility of the silver market you can also sell as soon as the market gets hot if you choose.
Silver Futures and Options
The most common way to invest in commodities, futures and options contracts allow you to invest in the movement of the silver market. Your profit here comes not from the market value of silver but from how that value changes. For more information, see our articles on commodities and silver futures.
Silver ETFs
As we have written before, ETFs are funds traded on a stock exchange. They are made of bundled third party assets and your value comes from how those underlying assets perform.
A silver ETF is built to track the market price of silver metal. It is often built around a specific quantity of silver or group of bullion assets. This is generally considered one of the best ways to own and trade silver with high liquidity and without the logistical challenges of owning the physical asset.
Silver Production Stocks and Funds
Finally, you can invest in the silver market. Through stocks and mutual funds you can invest in silver mining companies and firms which deal in the production, distribution and use of silver. These stocks generally track the market value of silver but have value beyond pure supply and demand. As a result they can be more reliable and less volatile than pure silver, but are also subject to potential business-related liabilities.
Should You Invest in Silver?
Silver can be a strong addition to any portfolio but only in measured quantities.
As a stabilizing asset silver, like gold, can give your portfolio a steady, diversified return compared to traditional stocks and mutual funds. In particular, they can do so while retaining much higher liquidity than many other forms of safe investments (as noted above).
However, you should be careful about how much of your portfolio you dedicate to silver or precious metals. Silver is highly volatile and, if it occupies too many assets, can swing your entire portfolio.
Like most diversified assets, silver has its role in a good portfolio, in moderation. – Eric Reed

Please check back for new articles and updates at Commoditytrademantra.com
tag cloud
Buy More Silver , Invest in Silver , Investing in Silver , Precious Metals , Price of Silver , Pure Silver , Silver and Gold , Silver Bullion , Silver ETFs , Silver Futures , Silver Market , Silver Mining Companies , Silver Production
request your views on the above article

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Silver Is Not Better Money
It is, however, at this point that we should note the enormous volume of bad reporting on the subject of precious metals investment.
Many articles written on this subject urge investors to put their money into silver and gold because these assets are “real money” and inherently safer than fiat currencies. This is wrong.
Silver has limited inherent value. While, unlike a fiat currency, its supply is limited, like a fiat currency it is real money only to the extent that other parties will to accept it in trade. Investors who believe in the “real money” theory of silver should try paying their bills in specie and see exactly how far that will get them. Others should consider the asset’s high (sometimes enormous) volatility index compared to that of the dollar.
Fiat currency has structural value because of its ties to a national economy and its role in tax collection. Silver does not. Its value is driven almost entirely by supply and demand with some influence from industrial applications. That does not make it a poor choice of investment, but it does mean that its value depends entirely on what someone else is willing to give you for it, Just like currencies, stocks and pretty much every other form of investment on the market.
It is no less real than any of those, but no more so either. The fact that you can hold it in your hand doesn’t change that.
BULLSHIT !!!

Best silver investment is JUNK SILVER, everyone recognizes it, you just have to educate them on it's value to fiat, at that moment.
Next best, I believe, are the monster boxes. JMHO

oldgaranddad

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
BULLSHIT !!!

Best silver investment is JUNK SILVER, everyone recognizes it, you just have to educate them on it's value to fiat, at that moment.
Generic silver rounds scooped up at local antique and/or coin shows are a good too. I buddy of mine scored a huge deal on sterling silver rounds (92.5% Silver) that pretty much amounted to paying the price of 80% for the melt silver value just because the antiques/estate dealer wanted to dump them after sitting on them too long for his liking.

Yes! I am jealous.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
BULLSHIT !!!

Years ago in the mid 70's I remember the prophets warning that the USA would someday enter a period where it could not pay the interest on its debt and hence, the SWHTF. Many of the soothsayers predicted that it that situation the usable money would be the 1964 or older coinage because of its intrinsic value and easily recognizable requiring no assay as bars purchased back then would require. Since that time there has not been a financial default however consider that interest rates since that time were in the double digits and have fallen to practically nothing. So has the can been successfully kicked down the road by the Federal Reserve's interest rate manipulation? It certainly seems to so far.
Consider though when, not if, TSWHTF how our old coinage would be what it was predicted to be back then. It is portable easily recognizable and liquid; a perfect currency to be used by the masses. I personally prefer mercury dimes and walking Liberty halfs myself because there is no problem recognizing them against later clad issues to cause confusion.
Think how in a SHTF situation when one wanted to purchase a loaf of bread with the newest Perth Mint coin vs the tried and true USA silver coinage. I will confess that I have purchased many of the niceties from the various global mints over the years but my bedrock foundation is the 90% coinage of yesteryear. It was good before and is good now,,,just sayin

nickndfl

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Tell the article's nonsense to the people of Venezuela. Those who had gold and silver were able to escape. If you were still there and had silver you could survive without cannibalism.

The 90% argument is a sound one. I like ASEs and Phils, but you need the fractional 90% to make change in a bartering system. Hopefully not in my lifetime, but one day there will be a major run on physical and life will be hard for those without.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Was the article written by a banker?

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I've got a bucket of 40% that I really should convert to 90%.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Sorry but there's no way I can look at the words silver and investment in the same sentence again. Silver will go up they said, it has no downward potential they said. HA! *walks away grumbling

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Sorry but there's no way I can look at the words silver and investment in the same sentence again. Silver will go up they said, it has no downward potential they said. HA! *walks away grumbling
I've got silver at $6.00 & $7.00 per Troy Oz.
DO NOT TELL ME IT HAS NOT WORKED AS AN INVESTMENT.

Too Many FLIPPERS around here which is NOT Investing. Buy and HOLD.

But then I lost it ALL in a boating accident.

skychief

enthusiastic stacker
Silver Miner
Silver is a terrible investment.

It doesn't accrue interest. It never pays dividends. Yuck!

But silver is an excellent store of wealth - because it's immune to inflation.

And it's WAY better than Gold (right now) because of the insane gold-to-silver ratio. (85:1 ???)

Stack intelligently, friends. :delivery:

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

Whether silver is a good or bad "investment" really depends, among other things, on when you got into silver. A person getting into silver at $7 still doubled their "investment" despite spot silver falling slightly over 71% from $49 in April 2011 to the current $14 level. If a person got in during the April 2011 high of $49, then they lost 71% of their "investment".

Whether silver is an "investment" or not depends on IMO the type of silver buyer you are (i.e. buying for SHTF, collecting , paper trader, store of wealth, etc.). For me personally, I see it as something to collect (I mainly buy '70's silver art bars for my collection) since I am a collector but I also see silver as a way to create a business to generate a small income (small for now) selling '70's silver art bars and other collectible silver bars/coins. Like anything else, there is a market for silver of all types and what you can sell it for (if one decides to sell) is what really matters in the end whether it is an SAE or a rare old vintage bar.

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Whether silver is a good or bad "investment" really depends, among other things, on when you got into silver. A person getting into silver at $7 still doubled their "investment" despite spot silver falling slightly over 71% from $49 in April 2011 to the current $14 level. If a person got in during the April 2011 high of $49, then they lost 71% of their "investment".

Whether silver is an "investment" or not depends on IMO the type of silver buyer you are (i.e. buying for SHTF, collecting , paper trader, store of wealth, etc.). For me personally, I see it as something to collect (I mainly buy '70's silver art bars for my collection) since I am a collector but I also see silver as a way to create a business to generate a small income (small for now) selling '70's silver art bars and other collectible silver bars/coins. Like anything else, there is a market for silver of all types and what you can sell it for (if one decides to sell) is what really matters in the end whether it is an SAE or a rare old vintage bar.
You did well for yourself working a niche in the market, but there really isn't much room for many others to duplicate what you have done. As things stand today, and as they stood when I got in back in 2003-2004, the best and safest bet is to buy physical silver as close to spot, buy the dips (but remember most dips are paper dips and real silver often doesn't sell at dip prices) and buy as much as you can. The bottom is now. It may linger for a couple years, but it won't drop more than 10% and if and when it does it won't be easy to find. JMHO.
Silver was a great investment for me. It was a great store of wealth for me.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You did well for yourself working a niche in the market, but there really isn't much room for many others to duplicate what you have done. As things stand today, and as they stood when I got in back in 2003-2004, the best and safest bet is to buy physical silver as close to spot, buy the dips (but remember most dips are paper dips and real silver often doesn't sell at dip prices) and buy as much as you can. The bottom is now. It may linger for a couple years, but it won't drop more than 10% and if and when it does it won't be easy to find. JMHO.
Silver was a great investment for me. It was a great store of wealth for me.

I agree that collectible silver bars/coins is a niche market. There are cycles where the collector" premiums" will soften. IMO a lot is involved in making money in the collector market and this market that is fickle. I see the silver art bar market (and any collector market for that matter) as a collector premium "game".

I usually buy '70's silver art bars for $.50 to $2 over spot and that helps me when I resell it. I have to "buy it right" to make money on it and buying it for the lowest premium over spot is IMO "buying it right" for me that is the lowest risk. With that said, I have paid high premiums for several silver bars/coins but I was able to flip it for even a much higher premium for a big profit. However, I do not do that very often because, it is a much higher risk play in the collector market. Even if I buy '70's silver art bar's for myself (not for resell), I always aim (and usually succeed) to buy it for the lowest premium possible. When it comes to premiums, I guess I am a "cheapskate" collector most of the time.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I agree that collectible silver bars/coins is a niche market. There are cycles where the collector" premiums" will soften. IMO a lot is involved in making money in the collector market and this market that is fickle. I see the silver art bar market (and any collector market for that matter) as a collector premium "game".

I usually buy '70's silver art bars for $.50 to $2 over spot and that helps me when I resell it. I have to "buy it right" to make money on it and buying it for the lowest premium over spot is IMO "buying it right" for me that is the lowest risk. With that said, I have paid high premiums for several silver bars/coins but I was able to flip it for even a much higher premium for a big profit. However, I do not do that very often because, it is a much higher risk play in the collector market. Even if I buy '70's silver art bar's for myself (not for resell), I always aim (and usually succeed) to buy it for the lowest premium possible. When it comes to premiums, I guess I am a "cheapskate" collector most of the time.
You had the benefit of learning to work your niche back when the getting was good. That's when you built up your inventory. I think timing was a factor in your success.
As the country progresses in it's downhill slide, I don't think it will be collector interest which draws people to silver. it will be raw fear that draws them to a safer store of wealth.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

And where did this boat go down..precisely please?
AMNESIA - Doctors at the hospital said when they asked me questions. They said I was found walking up a dirt road miles away from the Kentucky River. That's what they say.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Hahahahah, youngster. I have some at .75 cents, .90 cents, but most is around $6.00. I don't buy for "investment", I buy for survival.

If cannabilism is an issue in your neighborhood after a SHTF scenario ......nobody is going to be trading anything of value for your fvcking silver.
I don't think so. If nothing else, silver will be the barter medium to equal out the difference in one commodity to the other, in a barter/trade.

GOLDBRIX

Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Hahahahah, youngster. I have some at .75 cents, .90 cents, but most is around $6.00. I don't buy for "investment", I buy for survival.
WELL, I was only thinking about silver dollars.
I have bought Five Dollar rolls (50 Dimes) pre' 65 dimes for $12.00. And I heard voices behind me saying I paid too much. I got / had two rolls somewhere in the Kentucky river.
Done good of pre'65 Kennedy Halve Rolls just don't recall what I paid. They're down in the boat too. whistle: Oh cry:
AND
I've found a '63 quarter in my change. I still got that one. Jus' Sayin'

Mr Paradise

Midas Member
Midas Member

I don't think so. If nothing else, silver will be the barter medium to equal out the difference in one commodity to the other, in a barter/trade.
In a true shtf scenario it’ll be ammo, water, food, fuel & pussy. The only thing a roll of 90% will be good for is putting in a sock and beating a possum or cat to death with it so u can feed the family.

Merlin

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
I remember the night my friend held a twenty ounce tube of gold American Eagles and realized he held over $24,000 value in his hands. The difference between that and a bucket of silver was instantly obvious. You can leave town with the gold in your pocket -- not so, the silver.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
In a true shtf scenario it’ll be ammo, water, food, fuel & pussy. The only thing a roll of 90% will be good for is putting in a sock and beating a possum or cat to death with it so u can feed the family.
I see both our positions as possibilities. But I still say that old silver coins (junk silver) is still a viable equalizer in an unbalanced barter/trade.
Anyone willing to take pussy in a life or death crisis, deserves the clap ! AND would more than likely get what they deserve.

arminius

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
You can leave town with the gold in your pocket -- not so, the silver.
Very true, but at the price of fungability. You gotta be able to move/sell it fairly easily when you need to. Best to have both.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Very true, but at the price of fungability. You gotta be able to move/sell it fairly easily when you need to. Best to have both.
Absolutely, you never know which will be more popular/in demand, than the other.

You can leave town with the gold in your pocket -- not so, the silver.
Some of us left town a looong time ago !
:secret:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I'm more of a stay and fight kinda guy. I have no where to go. So gold doesn't shine as bright as silver to me. Besides, in a SHTF situation I'd rather trade an ounce of silver for a few loaves of bread than an ounce of gold for a few hundred loaves of bread.
I already have guns, ammo and food. I'll have to make do without the pussy. Besides, I could always find Mrs. Paradise and .........

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
BULLSHIT !!!

I'm going to have to argue with you on this one - Silver Eagles have No Reporting requirement, no matter the quantity, one bag of junk silver and they file a 1099 on you.

The other thing about monster boxes (sealed), is they can actually appreciate in value - you have the silver part of the investment and you have the possible appreciation from the 'numismatic' value. Boxes from the San Fransisco mint, which can be bought in the year of manufacture for the same as West Point on sale, can bring a decent premium.

Having said all that, silver is a shitty investment most of the time.

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I'm going to have to argue with you on this one - Silver Eagles have No Reporting requirement, no matter the quantity, one bag of junk silver and they file a 1099 on you.
I wasn't talking about selling to a dealer, I was talking about BARTERING/TRADING - NO 1099 INVOLVED.

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I wasn't talking about selling to a dealer, I was talking about BARTERING/TRADING - NO 1099 INVOLVED.
Dealers are the only people I have found to trade with - bartering/trading is hard to do with people outside the PM community. I've attempted trades or bartering with gun dealers and people selling at open air markets - they act like you are trying to get one over on them. I did partially trade for a car once (half cash/half silver)- I had to give the guy a roll of Eagles so he could take it to a coin shop to get them authenticated.

The average person is clueless about PM's - I don't buy metals to trade in a SHTF scenario, I buy them because they can't be seized with the stroke of a keyboard, and I like to think they are undervalued. I know you have a different perspective having had the Feds steal your metals on the seizing angle. Still, they have to find them...

TAEZZAR

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
I buy them because they can't be seized with the stroke of a keyboard,
They can be seized at will of the fed's. I know !

I have taught several people about PM's. If they are willing to learn, teach them, we need all the help we can get.
I'm losing my LCD at the end of the year to retirement. The only other one that I trust is 800 miles away.
Guess I will need to "break one in" a bit closer to home.

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
i have made a small fortune in silver don’t need any advice from some newbie internet news letter advisor.
You're not going to subscribe to my "Silver Art" newsletter??????

Silver Art

Silver Art Bar collector
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Let me think about kind of low on funds right now.
Good point. I do command high premiums, however, I can put you up on a payment plan where your monthly payments will be low and within your budget.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I’ve been buying Ag since the beginning of 2016 and it’s pretty much about the same price right now as when I started. My average cost per ounce is about a dollar higher than spot as I type. I bought in to it being a long term investment. I have seen silver go over $20 briefly and dip below $14 a couple of times recently. I’m going to keep stacking though, because I like to hoard and store my money in a small variable savings account. Storage is an issue and if the dam GSR ever goes down again I would be dumping silver for gold.