• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

Why do Tattoos Last Forever?

Bottom Feeder

Hypophthalmichthys molitrix
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Journal of Experimental Medicine
Cliff Notes version

Guess how tattoos stay there forever, even as your cells die and are replaced? Researchers say they have found the answer, and it’s a little bit surprising. They found that immune system cells called macrophages eat the ink, and then pass it to their replacements when they die.

The ink doesn’t simply stain skin cells, because these cells die over the years and are replaced. Instead, microscopic blobs of ink are passed along from one generation of macrophages to another. It was assumed that the ink was staining skin cells called fibroblasts, which make up the connective tissue. Instead, the research team found that macrophages took up the ink, released it when they died, and that fresh macrophages then gobbled it up.

It’s not surprising that macrophages might be involved in this process. The name comes from the Greek for "big eater”. It’s their job to eat outside invaders. The findings may open a better way to remove tattoos. The secret may be some kind of trick to kill off the ink-noshing macrophages for a while, so that other immune cells can take away the ink.

BF

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
In my opinion they stay there just so you never forget how dumb you were to get them in the first place.

When I was young, I had the opportunity to see an old man, (probably only 50), with tats on his arms. To myself I thought, how ugly those faded out tats look, he was probably my age when he got those. That was all I needed to remind myself every time I considered getting a tat, to not go through with it.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
the research team found that macrophages took up the ink, released it when they died, and that fresh macrophages then gobbled it up.
So that's why tats age the way they do. They end up like a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy etc etc.

The findings may open a better way to remove tattoos. The secret may be some kind of trick to kill off the ink-noshing macrophages for a while, so that other immune cells can take away the ink.
Whoever figures out a safe, effective, and relatively easy form of tat removal will become rich.

It can already be done to a certain extent via lasers, but each color requires a different wavelength of light and not all colors respond equally well.
...and results can vary greatly person to person.

DodgebyDave

Metal Messiah
Midas Member
When I was 18 I thought about it......then changed my mind. Now I'm much older and I'm glad I didn't.

It's trendy bullshit that sheeple bought into. I had a buddy of mine complaining about his daughter running stupid, I reminded him about him and his wife getting naked at the drive in........at 15......then I laughed!

mommy....is that a "tramp stamp" on your back? Billy says you put out? What does that mean?
questions that I will never have to answer!

(walt had his stripes tattooed......so he could pull rank!)

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I was waiting downtown for my bus one day when some chattering latino gals walked up. One of them had a fresh tat of a nice big rose wrapped around somethin or other going up her bicep. She was showing off to us and I could only admire the artwork, it was pretty detailed on the rose and leaves. Vibrant red color and dark detail.

On the bus ride home I remembered some tats I seen on biker chicks at a few parties. The older ladies (40 – 50) mostly had some older tats that looked like melted ice cream. Vibrant reds? – no way, dull purple, maybe.

More old-age bullshit to put up with.:oops:

BF

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
Want to get rich? Invent a tattoo ink that can be easily totally eliminated with a specific laser.
Patent the hell out of the laser and sell the ink cheap.

You're welcome! I'm here to help! . .
thumbsup.gif

TomD

It blowed up, y'all
Platinum Bling
When I was younger, tats were really low class, only carnies and drunk sailors on leave in Manilla got them. Never came close to getting one. Wonder how all these kids covered in them are gonna feel when they get into 50's and 60's.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Want to get rich? Invent a tattoo ink that can be easily totally eliminated with a specific laser.
Patent the hell out of the laser and sell the ink cheap.

You're welcome! I'm here to help! . . View attachment 100422

What's needed is a way to effectively remove tat's done with currently avilable ink.
...and the problem with laser tat removal is that each color of ink requires a different wavelength of light and not all colors respond to it equally. So if the tat's were all one color, or you invented a new kind of laser, but even then, the biggest problem with it is that it oftentimes will not completely remove it. It'll leave something like a shadow of the tat that can end up looking worse than the tat did.

tat removed.PNG

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I have one tattoo on my shoulder. It's small, one color, nothing fancy. Was done in a traditional "handpoke" fashion. It's something I'll always believe in, not for showing off, so I'll keep it.

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
When I was younger, tats were really low class, only carnies and drunk sailors on leave in Manilla got them. Never came close to getting one. Wonder how all these kids covered in them are gonna feel when they get into 50's and 60's.
Ain't that the truth. I remember as a youth many WW2 vets had tattoos and, as you pointed out, when asked the tattooed individuals just about always mentioned a night of drunkenness when they got theirs. I never heard anyone bragging on their and most really were very unhappy that they had got them. However, when it comes to snowflakes getting tattoos, I am reminded of an often quoted old saying " Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others." (Otto von Bismark)

Last edited:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
In the 40's and 50's tats were more of a Navy thing, then in the 70's and 80's it was a convict thing (tats for badasses), then the fashion police made it "cool" to have tats. I'm glad I didn't get any. Tats on a woman are a major turn off. Who wants a woman who carries a sign that says "I've been around"?

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter

The Market for Tattoo Removal
A Rapidly-Growing Industry
Few cosmetic laser procedures are as exciting and profitable as laser tattoo removal. The popularity of tattoos matched with the high prevalence of “tattoo regret” has caused millions of patients to seek tattoo removal.

Laser tattoo removal has established itself within the aesthetics community as the only true answer to unwanted tattos

Tattoo Market Characteristics. Endless success stories prove that laser tattoo removal can remove tattoos to completion without scarring or burns. Now, the word is out: laser tattoo removal is the next big thing in the cosmetic industry.
Tattoos transcend all demographics and defy all stereotypes. They have become mainstream in America, with celebrities, athletes, and even politicians getting inked. Statistics about the tattoo market indicate the potential for tattoo removal market growth.

As seen by these statistics, tattoos are incredibly popular in America, especially with younger generations. As these generations of tattooed individuals age, the demand for tattoo removal will continue to grow.

Tattoo Removal Market Characteristics
The tattoo removal industry is rapidly growing to keep up with the demand for the procedure. Year after year, the market continues to grow as people embrace laser tattoo removal as an effective solution to regain control over skin appearance.

As the evidence shows, the average tattoo removal patients are young and female, and they have small, easy-to-remove black tattoos. There is a large crossover between tattoo removal patients and consumers of other aesthetic procedures.

Procedure Pricing
Laser tattoo removal practitioners charge a premium for their time. Each treatment is generally priced between $100 to $500, and most patients require between 5 and 10 treatments to achieve complete removal. The laser procedure itself only takes between 30 seconds and 15 minutes to complete, depending on the size and complexity of the tattoo. When you combine those figures together, you can calculate the massive potential for profit in the laser tattoo removal industry.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
There is little that is more boring than a millennial explaining the "meaning" of his or her tattoos.
I cannot stand to hear it, yet even when I say I am not interested they babble on.

Full Disclosure: I have a shoulder tattoo [small] that I got in 1972 at 17, underage, I snuck out of Basic Training at Fort Polk one night, went off post out to a tattoo shack in the woods, drunk. Ummm, yeah, really stupid. As it is rarely exposed, I don't worry about it anymore, but decades ago I tried scrubbing it with salt because I heard that could abraid it off. Didn't work, except to make a bloody mess.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Well it's the sneaking out of basic that's as dumb as the tatoo. If you did that at Benning they'd... I don't know. They'd just have your ass somehow. LOL

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Well it's the sneaking out of basic that's as dumb as the tatoo. If you did that at Benning they'd... I don't know. They'd just have your ass somehow. LOL
I went to basic twice. First at Fort Polk 1972, second at Fort Benning 1986. At Benning I was more sophisticated, I had pre-positioned civilian clothing buried in the brush in the woods, in a plastic bag, so I crossed over, changed clothes, hid my BDUs, and hit the town. Did it several times, it was combined Basic/AIT so more time to do it. No issues. You gotta be smarter than your supervision.

hernancortes

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
We had a couple guys get caught sneaking out of OSUT/AIT at the very end of the training. They got kicked out, but not before they were made to suffer. lol. Another guy in germany attempted to forge some leave papers and hop on a flight home at the frankfurt airport. The germans nabbed him and turned him over to the MP's and from there I never saw him smile again.

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
I have one small tat on the back of my right hand.

It was 1947 (yes). Barbara Gibney turned around in the desk ahead of me in the second grade and stabbed my hand with her pencil.

I honest-to-gawd did not do a thing to piss her off. I think she just saw a target and acted without thinking.

The black dot is still there.

FoundingFathers

Founder
Founding Member
Site Mgr
Site Supporter ++
I'm amazed that no one has invented a tattoo ink that lasts for only a year or two.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
I'm amazed that no one has invented a tattoo ink that lasts for only a year or two.
I think the risk of investment on a fad that will hopefully be gone tomorrow is too high.
As much time as I spend at the beach I am already seeing one hell of a lot less tattoo's on younger women. Their mom's have old tatts on display and they look like shit, so that is what young girls are seeing.
Hopefully they want no part of it.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Word I heard from WWII vets was they got inked because they didn't know if they'd die in battle the next day kind of thing.

May as well live it up...

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I think the risk of investment on a fad that will hopefully be gone tomorrow is too high.
As much time as I spend at the beach I am already seeing one hell of a lot less tattoo's on younger women. Their mom's have old tatts on display and they look like shit, so that is what young girls are seeing.
Hopefully they want no part of it.

When one stupid fad or fashion fades away, it's usually replaced by another one.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I remember seeing a lot of Brit soldiers in Berlin with blood type on thier arms with "Insert Here"
Kinda funny.
Seemed tattooing numbers on your arm was popular in Israel with the older crowd. [Too soon?]

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
I just could not ever get rid of my tat it says "Eat Shit and Die" I just love it when they ask :do you have any identifying marks and I affirm because the next statement is "What does it say?" and, I say "Eat shit and die" and then I show them to reaffirm the statement. Had it since 23 and loved it ever since.

I took a pik but I am not sure how to get my ugly mug out of it as I don't want to cause a bunch of distress among the gentler folk.

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Saw this one more than once back in the draftee Army,
FTA tattooed on the edge of the saluting hand.

Another popular one with some druggie army guys was a little monkey on the back or the zig zag man on the arm.

Rusty Shackelford

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
I have 4....all large but inconspicuous if I so choose. Didn't get my first till age 30. I have no regrets. yea I am gonna be 60 one of these days...but if I pass on doing things now just because my 60 yr old self my look down on them....then life would be pretty boring....I aint ready to sit and READy (opps) the obits and have the weather channel on a 24/7 loop or bitch about gas going up a dime..

Last edited:

Bottom Feeder

Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
I have one small tat on the back of my right hand.

It was 1947 (yes). Barbara Gibney turned around in the desk ahead of me in the second grade and stabbed my hand with her pencil.

I honest-to-gawd did not do a thing to piss her off. I think she just saw a target and acted without thinking.

The black dot is still there.
Hey, I have one just like that — in my leg. Got in in 1959 in the seventh grade from the girl in the seat ahead of me who stated that my leg was trespassing in her space.
Somthin about girls and those pencils...

BF

gringott

Killed then Resurrected
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I have a nice scar on my calf muscle from when my brother stabbed me with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Pretty big.

michael59

heads up-butts down
Platinum Bling
Sr Site Supporter
PM it to me michael, I'll tart it up for ya.

BF
The words a reversed and it tat is on my right arm but it looks left. I tried reversing the phone like for a selfie but the words were still backwards and I think this one is taken @ the mirror. IDK this is a GIF? it might just break the interwebs but I will send it.

lumpOgold

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Saw this one more than once back in the draftee Army,
FTA tattooed on the edge of the saluting hand.
Ok, what is FTA? F*ck the Army? They wouldn't let me enlist in the 80's, were too selective.

I have an accidental tattoo, not from a pencil, from a surgeon drawing the cut lines on my leg. When he stitched up the 6" gash the ink got caught in the scar tissue leaving a blue streak.

Joe King

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
yep, BF fixed it. Just shows the old have more time than the young....yeah like I could ever get this shit right BUT he did!....here is the pik and I gots my fingers, toes and colon crossed; pucker-pucker...
Yep, he fixed it alright. Fixed it so good I can't even see it. lol

Fixed it.PNG

edsl48

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
BY gosh after reading these I remember that I too am tattooed. When you get radiation treatment for cancer they often tattoo the patient in order to aim the radiation machine. They are just small dots and not really noticeable but they are in fact there. Hells bells I can join the ranks of tattooed
individuals