• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

With "Social Distancing", would Drive-In Movie Theaters make a come-back? What else?

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
In the town where I live in France, the city is putting up a one-time screen in a big parking lot to project "Grease"...

Made me think... Putting back into service some of those abandoned Drive-In Movie Theaters sprinkled around the US, or install one in the lot of a "defunct shopping mall".

I wonder how well the Drive-In in Sunshine Florida is doing these days... One of the few still running... Instead of the speaker on your driver's window (when I was a kid), you just tune your radio to a certain frequency.

-----

There may be other potential "old businesses" to bring back to life...

the_shootist

Old White Guy
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
In the town where I live in France, the city is putting up a one-time screen in a big parking lot to project "Grease"...

Made me think... Putting back into service some of those abandoned Drive-In Movie Theaters sprinkled around the US.

I wonder how well the Drive-In in Sunshine Florida is doing these days... One of the few still running... Instead of the speaker on your driver's window (when I was a kid), you just tune your radio to a certain frequency.

-----

Nothing is produced today worth paying to see

dacrunch

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Nothing is produced today worth paying to see
Me neither - NEVER watch a movie I didn't download... but thinking about the Karen $$$ haha!

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

Made me think... Putting back into service some of those abandoned Drive-In Movie Theaters sprinkled around the US, or install one in the lot of a "defunct shopping mall".

-----

Here in Cen. KY the Drive-Ins have all but disappeared. There could be one between Lexington and Winchester on St.Rt. 60 that could be brought back to life fairly quickly from what I've seen. The last one in Fayette Co. was turned into an apartment complex about 20 years ago. There use to be one on Old 25 just outside of Richmond, but the last time I went by it was all beaten up and had used heavy equipment sitting in it as a parking lot.

I could go for a Drive-In right now.

BigJim#1-8

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The amount of businesses brought back to life will be dwarfed by the businesses that have died/will die.

Last edited:

TAEZZAR

LADY JUSTICE ISNT BLIND, SHES JUST AFRAID TO WATCH
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame

OverOver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Yep parking lots for malls and not defunct ones are being turned into drive-ins. Walmart also announced a partnership
with Tribeca Enterprises to transform 160 parking lots into drive-ins.

Mall Parking Lots to Drive-Ins

Uglytruth

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Drive In by me is packed......... once they got open. Being locked in your car is dangerous stuff ya know.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Drive In by me is packed......... once they got open. Being locked in your car is dangerous stuff ya know.
Yeah, Nightcrawlers everywhere.

EO 11110

CENSORSHIP KILLS
Mother Lode
Site Supporter ++
local carcass of a mall is setting up a theater in their parking lot

dozer99

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I grew up in a very small town, driving 35 miles to the next town over to go to this Drive in Theater. As a teenager we would park the pickup backwards, get out the folding lawn chairs and a cooler of Beer. God I miss those days.
1596043300800.png

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
-----

Drive up restaurants, there were bunches of them growing up in San Antonio. Bun and Barrel was my favorite and a rare treat as a kid - BBQ sandwich with a frosted mug of root beer. Still in business.

bunbarrel.jpg

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Drive up restaurants, there were bunches of them growing up in San Antonio. Bun and Barrel was my favorite and a rare treat as a kid - BBQ sandwich with a frosted mug of root beer. Still in business.

View attachment 174420
Lexington has one. All the Frisch's Big Boys had the drive-in but converted them all to parking spaces. SONICs' still do the Carhop motif.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

stoli

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
I rode in the trunk of a ex Plymouth state police cruiser to a XXX drive-in.
I wasn't old enough to get in. My buddy pulled over about a 1/4 mile or so before the entrance. Myself and another friend jumped into the trunk and off we went.
Dave loved to rev up the 440 in neutral and slap it in drive.
The trunk filled up with tire smoke and choked the shit out of us.
I don't remember the movie....ill never forget that ride.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
My middle brother's first car was a Corvair back in '74. For shits and giggles I got in the "boot" to get in the drive-In.
He bought his ticket. I bought the eats and drinks.
Something I'll never forget too.

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
As a young teen, we used to go to the drive-in regularly. One of my friends dad would drive us to the entrance of the drive-in, mom following, and my friend would drive us in. Nobody was old enough for a DL. We would usually stay for one movie and then go joy riding.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Where I grew up all the drive-ins had picnic tables just outside the concession stand for walk-ins, and a playground underneath the screen where the movie played. The kids would run back to the cars to hear the cartoons, and run back to the playground for the feature(s).

Last edited:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thunderbird Swap Shop in Ft. Lauderdale had 12 screens at one time. I believe they still play some movies and it is also a huge flea market. Jackass star Steve-O started out in Preston Henn's free circus that was a draw there for families.

https://www.floridaswapshop.com/
I'd go to that...have a rare 95 Supercoupe, one of only 574 made.

GOLDBRIX

Midas Member
Midas Supporter
1596631915138.png

This was one busy Drive-In Threater.