• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Women coin dealers?

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
I've had some interesting interactions with women coin dealers over the years and have always had a hard time dealing with them. Their general lack of knowledge, bad attitude and poor business sense has always been surprising to me and I've never seen one make it more than a year or two. Have any of you had similar experiences or am I just being a misogynistic?

Mujahid

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I’ve had a situation almost 2 decades ago where I was trying to sell rolls of proof Franklin halves and the woman at the store said that it was a shame that I cleaned the coins… to her they had to have been cleaned because it was shiny lol.

I ended up having to speak to the man in charge lol

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I don't know of any women that are in charge as the main dealer, but many times a spouse, girlfriend, fiancee, daughter, etc. has been helping either at a coin show or in a coin shop. My experience has been they have to go ask someone 90% of the time for prices or to answer questions. Not saying they are not capable of being just as knowledgeable as male, but so far my experience has been they are just there to help with the basic questions or transactions or to help watch over the inventory. With that said, I would have no issue buying from a female coin dealer if the prices are fair and we can talk shop.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
I've had some interesting interactions with women coin dealers over the years and have always had a hard time dealing with them. Their general lack of knowledge, bad attitude and poor business sense has always been surprising to me and I've never seen one make it more than a year or two. Have any of you had similar experiences or am I just being a misogynistic?
I don't know of any women that are in charge as the main dealer, but many times a spouse, girlfriend, fiancee, daughter, etc. has been helping either at a coin show or in a coin shop. My experience has been they have to go ask someone 90% of the time for prices or to answer questions. Not saying they are not capable of being just as knowledgeable as male, but so far my experience has been they are just there to help with the basic questions or transactions or to help watch over the inventory. With that said, I would have no issue buying from a female coin dealer if the prices are fair and we can talk shop.

Melody Cederstrom - Discount Gold and Silver Trading.
Been around for ages. Even has an internet show that topics run very close to GIM2. Where I ran into Bob Chapman and his opinions before cancer took him out. RIP - Bob.

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
I would have no issue buying from a female coin dealer if the prices are fair and we can talk shop.
Duh. I'd "buy" coin from a homeless guy on the street if the prices are "fair". I could care less if we can "talk shop" if the price is right. I'll buy from him and then "talk shop" with a buddy.

Fatrat

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting....

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
That’s because Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score
Brick and mortar I often frequent has been around and is ran by a couple of brothers. But Mom is the boss. She makes all the big decisions, and I kinda like the old gal.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
Reaction score
Idiots and poor business acumen prevails no matter the gender or business...but that being said I think there are people of both genders that are pre-programed in such ways it makes it hard for them to deal in a effective transactional situation with the opposite gender....... I have a very hard time making myself deal with idiots even if it benefits me these days, in the past I felt I had honed my skills to where I could deal to my benefit in any situation

I admit to being a bit hypersensitive to a female using the "art of the flirt" to close a deal

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This thread :belly laugh:

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
It's like watching football. The woman 'announcer giving her opinion' on a game she's never played.

Some how she's just not believable...

She's a 'token' female in an all male enterprise and even the male announcers know it, but they have to play the game.

jrog100

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Survivor
Reaction score
Melody Cederstrom - Discount Gold and Silver Trading.
Been around for ages. Even has an internet show that topics run very close to GIM2. Where I ran into Bob Chapman and his opinions before cancer took him out. RIP - Bob.

Isnt she the one saying gold is going to $6,000?

engineear

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
It's like watching football. The woman 'announcer giving her opinion' on a game she's never played.

She's a 'token' female in an all male enterprise and even the male announcers know it, but they have to play the game.
I turn the sound off when they talk...as if they have personal info for a 30 second sound bite...some are ok but if it's a Saturday game they should know it's the underboob day...that would peak interest....

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score

Look again at the Referees females have popped up all of a sudden in College and Pro Football, crowds are back too. Freebee tix IDK, but butts in the seats.
TV Money is my bet. I heard that Amazon paid the NFL ONE BILLION DOLLARS for Thursday night football ONLY.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
There was a gal in co springs that worked at a coin shop (a block from memorial hospital), cant remember the name, owner was dave, then she went to hallenbeck coin gallery when that shop closed, Dave retired. She was very knowledgeable and always in good humor, unlike many of the men. Im sure she is retired by now, or dead. She was a good sort. I even took her to lunch once, just to shoot the shit.

Once I was in the first shop, there was a bum out front looking dodgy, dave was getting nervous. She pulled a gun and went out front and told him to get out of there or she would shoot him. She was a no bullshit kind of girl. just my type but way too old to be practical. She was single too, if only I was 20 yr older, me early 30's, her late fiddies.

Good Times!

@Goldhedge might know who im talking about, blonde heavy set gal, typical german look to her, like she could chop wood then make supper. I asked her where she wanted to eat lunch, we went to the german deli in old colorado city s of the highway, around 21st or so.. She drank 4-5 beers in the parking lot while we had sammiches and pickles.

When she went to hallenbeck she got kind of stuffy like that ****** who came to work there from the grading place, but she always gave me a hug wheh they buzzed me in. She had big ole titties, I loved those hugs man. I always combed my hair before I went in, I was running the greenhouse setup for maggies farm out in penrose at the time, right after it opened. I date myself w that one. Now im fiddie.

:loved:

Last edited:

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I get it. I think some men view the coin shop like the barber shop. One of the last places on earth that has not been invaded by women and wokeness. Men have little territory of their own these days. Back in the day before my LCD died I would go to the shop and hang out. We would chat and he would bring out his secret goodies from the safe. It was a lot of fun. It is amazing the local news you learn at the coin shop. :) Even then he kept the door locked and a had a hand gun on the counter. Oddly enough I was a bigger gold bug than him. He viewed it as an up and down investment and told me to be cautious about putting too much in metals. A good portion of my metals were bought at spot or just slightly above back them. I went to a coin shop in Raleigh this week. It was crowded and there were two other women there besides me. There were several guys there too, The wait was long and everyone had a nice time chatting. Maybe you guys should make peace with women in the coin shop. If they are there its most likely for the same reason you are.

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I get it. I think some men view the coin shop like the barber shop. One of the last places on earth that has not been invaded by women and wokeness. Men have little territory of their own these days. Back in the day before my LCD died I would go to the shop and hang out. We would chat and he would bring out his secret goodies from the safe. It was a lot of fun. It is amazing the local news you learn at the coin shop. :) Even then he kept the door locked and a had a hand gun on the counter. Oddly enough I was a bigger gold bug than him. He viewed it as an up and down investment and told me to be cautious about putting too much in metals. A good portion of my metals were bought at spot or just slightly above back them. I went to a coin shop in Raleigh this week. It was crowded and there were two other women there besides me. There were several guys there too, The wait was long and everyone had a nice time chatting. Maybe you guys should make peace with women in the coin shop. If they are there its most likely for the same reason you are.
This coin shop in Raleigh require ID for purchases or cash and carry?

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score

You have men referees and announcers who never played the game. Half the guys on these sports shows never played the game. If a woman knows her stuff I have no problem with it. Women coin dealers works fine for me.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
This coin shop in Raleigh require ID for purchases or cash and carry?
No! Cash and carry :) I bought some silver maples. $28.00 dollars each. Higher than online but I don't want any more online purchases. However his premium on gold was too high. I could not bring myself to pay 2,000 for a gold buffalo. He had been in business a long time and has a good reputation but don't except bargains. His shop is really busy all the time. Last time I was there he got a phone call from someone coming in to buy 50K in gold eagles the next day.

Lancers32

You know...the thing
Site Supporter ++
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
Not paying crazy high premiums for Gold sure as hell not Silver. Thanks though.

Avalon

Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Not paying crazy high premiums for Gold sure as hell not Silver. Thanks though.
Its a no win situation Lancer......If you buy a lot of online you will get flagged. So you are paying for privacy. Also I do not expect a local small business to be able to compete with a huge online dealer like SD bullion. At this point how much is privacy worth? But still I could not pay 2,000 dollars for a buffalo.
:rotf:

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I haven't been in there in almost 20 years, but I used to go to McBrides in Austin Tx. https://www.mcbridesguns.com/about-us/coins
and bought bullion from a couple of competent older gals. They always had lots of inventory and reasonable prices.

Goldhedge

Retired
Sr Midas Sup +++
Survivor
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
@Goldhedge might know who im talking about, blonde heavy set gal, typical german look to her, like she could chop wood then make supper. I asked her where she wanted to eat lunch, we went to the german deli in old colorado city s of the highway, around 21st or so.. She drank 4-5 beers in the parking lot while we had sammiches and pickles.
LOL Yep, I knew Dave too. I used to buy Christmas and birthday rounds for relatives from him. He closed shop (or leased? to a pot shop) and moved to some college town in Iowa? Said something about he was getting into apartment rentals. All the fiat he made churning PM's went into an investment he could rely on.
I always combed my hair before I went in
You charmer you!

goldielox1

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score
You have men referees and announcers who never played the game. Half the guys on these sports shows never played the game. If a woman knows her stuff I have no problem with it. Women coin dealers works fine for me.
I think most of us are complaining because most women are underqualified and are just hired to meet a diversity quota, which is extremely common. If a woman is qualified I have no problem with it. Telling question: if you were to take the woman and she had actually been a man with the same qualifications, would he have still been hired? For the example like female football reporters, the answer is obviously no. She's hired strictly because she's a woman that's fairly attractive.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Sr Midas Sup +++
Reaction score
I turn the sound off when they talk...as if they have personal info for a 30 second sound bite...some are ok but if it's a Saturday game they should know it's the underboob day...that would peak interest....
I enjoy the female meteorologists. Sometimes I'll even get the weather report.

viking

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I enjoy the female meteorologists. Sometimes I'll even get the weather report.
NSFW:

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
Its a no win situation Lancer......If you buy a lot of online you will get flagged. So you are paying for privacy. Also I do not expect a local small business to be able to compete with a huge online dealer like SD bullion. At this point how much is privacy worth? But still I could not pay 2,000 dollars for a buffalo.
:rotf:

Exactly why I make 95% of my purchases at coin shows (due to no tax) and the rest at the LCS (but still pay cash). I have increased my stash from 11 Merc dimes to 15 for what it's worth.

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score
Exactly why I make 95% of my purchases at coin shows (due to no tax) and the rest at the LCS (but still pay cash). I have increased my stash from 11 Merc dimes to 15 for what it's worth.
Yep, That is about the size of my stash too.
That damn boating accident.

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Reaction score
I think most of us are complaining because most women are underqualified and are just hired to meet a diversity quota, which is extremely common. If a woman is qualified I have no problem with it. Telling question: if you were to take the woman and she had actually been a man with the same qualifications, would he have still been hired? For the example like female football reporters, the answer is obviously no. She's hired strictly because she's a woman that's fairly attractive.

After watching the screw job yesterday by the male refs i would have welcomed a new set of lady refs. I really dont car about your hair color, skin color, pants status or whatever, show me your knowledge or talent.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
I'd welcome it. I found most of the men sitting in coin show booths to be one of the following.
-scammers
-bitter
-poor judges of the market. Poor business men.
-guarded
-just overall tend to be twerps.
Most, not all, but most. They did not get the concept of customers.

The one woman I knew at an LCS was pleasant and talkative. Her husband wasn't the worst but could have used some help.
Coin shows and stores need more woman. I'd bet sales and interest would increase dramatically.

coopersmith

for fuck sake..........
Silver Miner
Reaction score
I'd welcome it. I found most of the men sitting in coin show booths to be one of the following.
-scammers
-bitter
-poor judges of the market. Poor business men.
-guarded
-just overall tend to be twerps.
Most, not all, but most. They did not get the concept of customers.

The one woman I knew at an LCS was pleasant and talkative. Her husband wasn't the worst but could have used some help.
Coin shows and stores need more woman. I'd bet sales and interest would increase dramatically.
Girlz smell good.

Rollie Free

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Survivor
Reaction score
Which booth are you going to?
angry-dude.jpg
dreamy-glad-female-looks-with-pleasure-gratitude-keeps-hands-together-chest-smiles-happily-ima...jpg

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Eagle
Mother Lode
Reaction score