• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

Workers quit their jobs at a record-high rate at the end of the summer

Scorpio

для продажи слегка подержанный
Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Workers quit their jobs at a record-high rate at the end of the summer​

Denitsa Tsekova
·Reporter
Tue, October 12, 2021, 11:28 AM

The share of workers quitting their jobs hit the highest level in August since at least 2000 following elevated levels in the spring.
Nearly 4.3 million workers voluntarily left their jobs in August, according to the Labor Department’s latest JOLTS report, equating to a quits rate of 2.9%. This gauge of workers' confidence is well above the pandemic-era low of 1.6% in April 2020 and topped the previous high of 2.8% set in April of this year.
"There is likely some element of this that's due to Delta," Glassdoor Senior Economist Daniel Zhao told Yahoo Money. "By and large, the fact that quits are so high above pre-pandemic levels, and in fact at record highs, signals that workers have more power today."
Accommodation and food services recorded the highest quit rate in August of 6.8% and accounted for approximately two-thirds of the increase for that month. The quits rate in retail trade also increased to 4.7%, up from 4.4% in July. Quits levels in both industries are well above their pre-pandemic levels.

"In part, it's due to the tight labor market," Zhao said. "Then tied to that is the ongoing pandemic... frontline service roles are the ones where the risk of COVID is particularly salient to workers."

'We are seeing this Delta slowdown'

While more workers quit in August, hiring slowed and the number of job openings shrunk amid a surge in delta cases.
Job openings decreased by 659,000 as of the end of August — marking the first drop since the start of the year — to 10.4 million. New hires also declined by 439,000 to 6.3 million.
"Even though we are seeing this Delta slowdown, it's clear that employers still want to hire," Zhao said. "Job openings are still near record highs and labor demand is still red hot."
HALLANDALE, FLORIDA - SEPTEMBER 21: A Now Hiring sign hangs near the entrance to a Winn-Dixie Supermarket on September 21, 2021 in Hallandale, Florida. Government reports indicate that Initial jobless benefit claims rose 20,000 to 332,000 in the week ended Sept. 11. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

A Now Hiring sign hangs near the entrance to a Winn-Dixie Supermarket on September 21, 2021 in Hallandale, Florida. Government reports indicate that Initial jobless benefit claims rose 20,000 to 332,000 in the week ended Sept. 11. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
The number of unemployed workers per job opening remained flat at 0.8 in August. The number and rate of layoffs and discharges were little changed at the series lows of 1.3 million and 0.9%. Both of those measures emphasize the slowdown is temporary, according to Zhao.
"In September, we might still see some weakness, just because the delta wave is still on the downswing," he said. "With the job market expected to re-accelerate in the fall... we will also see job openings rebound as well."

Denitsa is a writer for Yahoo Finance and Cashay, a new personal finance website. Follow her on Twitter @denitsa_tsekova

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I go to a lot of stores and restaurants all over the country and many places are short staffed, short stocked, and some closed entirely.

I had a difficult time not too long ago getting an Uber to the airport. I used to have no problems doing that in that city. Now it’s as if no one wants to work. It almost ruined my vacation.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
yeah Muj,

the only way people are going back to work is to take away the punch bowl,

no more giveaways, no free chit, no bammy phones, no paid college loans, etc

but I'll be dead long before that ever happens,

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
"Let's Go Brandon" sez it is only little squabbles.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
The commies in power, dishing out all the freebies while we who fund their mass giveaways whine and cry, are winning

Fatrat

Site Supporter
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
End of summer, I used to go back to college about then, I wonder how many kids quit and go back to school every year...

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
boomer wave started back in 07-08, then ramped up in '12 or so, and it isn't far from the end of it now, just a few more years
way past peak at this time

Voodoo

Midas Member
Midas Member
Platinum Bling
Site Supporter ++
Reaction score

Hivemindgammahydra7

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
It’s a very shallow meme to say “people today don’t want to work,” and “take away the freebies, THEN they’ll come back to work!”

A worn, overused, and simplistic meme, and I’ve grown weary of seeing it.

The reality of the situation requires thinking about human beings and their motives, more deeply. But that doesn’t fit into the text box on American social media websites, so nobody bothers.

People are quitting for more reasons than can be concisely listed, here - my post would go on for seven pages.

But one example is stay-at-home parents. During lockdown almost all daycare enterprises were forced by state governments to close, and as a result many ot these went bankrupt. Schools were, of course, also shuttered. In response, many families decided to have one parent reduce work hours, or work from home, or leave the job market entirely, to stay at home and supervise the children all week.

Fast forward to reopening, and there were far fewer daycare facilities left operating. Those that did reopen incurred higher operating costs owing to new government regulations and rules concerning capacity, distancing, disinfection of facilities, masks and PPE, and so on. Correspondingly, prices for daycare services also rose, with many families concluding that their children would be better served with a parent at home full-time, then to return to work only to see a greater percentage of their take home pay devoured by higher child care costs. It is estimated that 5 million Americans in the labor force chose not to return to work for this reason, alone (Source: Dr. Marc Faber, BoomGloomDoom Report, 1 Oct 21).

Apart from financial considerations, there were other factors influencing Americans‘ decision to not return to work or to quit working that had nothing to do with “freebies” or “gibs.” Many parents felt that their interpersonal relationships with their children improved, dramatically, when one parent was always at home, physically present, and emotionally available for them. They concluded that they wanted this to continue.

Other reasons people are leaving/quitting - apart from non-compliance with vaccine mandates - include, but are not limited to:

> realizing that cubicle life in an office somewhere is a spirit-destroying and empty endeavor that only serves to further enrich faceless, soulless TBTF banks, corporations, and the government tax collector (at every level).

> realizing - if you are white - that your labor and creativity contributes to a failed system that hates you, openly demonizes your very existence, and wants you dead. CRT, Affirmative Action, and all of the other government and corporate racial/ethnic/religious/gender/sexual preference set asides ensure that straight whites will permanently remain at the very bottom rung of society, even as an endless stream of MSM agitprop stirs “people of color” to openly abuse them, free of consequences.

> realizing - if you are young - that the future to which you aspired is no longer attainable, no matter how many hours you put in, how hard you work, or how much you save/invest. The ladders of upward mobility were all exported abroad long ago, in the process transforming the US into an increasingly two-tier, feudal society. Mind-bending levels of unpayable public and private debt, endless money printing, a broken and dysfunctional justice system, and undefended, wide open borders with limitless migration-invasion guarantee that the financial opportunity to form your own, independent household, to marry and to raise children of your own, does not exist, and will not exist.

tl;dr people are choosing to enjoy however many years they have under the sun with their loved ones - even if it means being poor and destitute - instead of throwing away their years on this Earth toiling for a lifeless corporate culture in what is clearly a collapsing country.

Last edited:

Buck

Where'd My Country Go?
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
Reaction score
It’s a very shallow meme to say “people today don’t want to work,” and “take away the freebies, THEN they’ll come back to work!”

The reality of the situation requires thinking about human beings and their motives, more deeply. But that doesn’t fit into the text box on American social media websites, so nobody bothers.

People are quitting for more reasons than can be concisely listed, here - my post would go on for seven pages.

But one example is stay-at-home parents. During lockdown almost all daycare enterprises were forced by state governments to close, and as a result many ot these went bankrupt. Schools were, of course, also shuttered. In response, many families decided to have one parent reduce work hours, or work from home, or leave the job market entirely, to stay at home and supervise the children all week.

Fast forward to reopening, and there were far fewer daycare facilities left operating. Those that did reopen incurred higher operating costs owing to new government regulations and rules concerning capacity, distancing, disinfection of facilities, masks and PPE, and so on. Correspondingly, prices for daycare services also rose, with many families concluding that their children would be better served with a parent at home full-time, then to return to work only to see a greater percentage of their take home pay devoured by higher child care costs. It is estimated that 5 million Americans in the labor force chose not to return to work for this reason, alone (Source: Dr. Marc Faber, BoomGloomDoom Report, 1 Oct 21).

Apart from financial considerations, there were other factors influencing Americans‘ decision to not return to work or to quit working that had nothing to do with “freebies” or “gibs.” Many parents felt that their interpersonal relationships with their children improved, dramatically, when one parent was always at home, physically present, and emotionally available for them. They concluded that they wanted this to continue.

Other reasons people are leaving/quitting - apart from non-compliance with vaccine mandates - include, but are not limited to:

> realizing that cubicle life in an office somewhere is a spirit-destroying and empty endeavor that only serves to further enrich faceless, soulless TBTF banks, corporations, and the government tax collector (at every level).

> realizing - if you are white - that your labor and creativity contributes to a failed system that hates you, openly demonizes your very existence, and wants you dead. CRT, Affirmative Action, and all of the other government and corporate racial/ethnic/religious/gender/sexual preference set asides ensure that straight whites will permanently remain at the very bottom rung of society, even as an endless stream of MSM agitprop stirs “people of color” to openly abuse them, free of consequences.

> realizing - if you are young - that the future to which you aspired is no longer attainable, no matter how many hours you put in, how hard you work, or how much you save/invest. The ladders of upward mobility were all exported abroad long ago, in the process transforming the US into an increasingly two-tier, feudal society. Mind-bending levels of unpayable public and private debt, endless money printing, a broken and dysfunctional justice system, and undefended, wide open borders with limitless migration-invasion guarantee that the financial opportunity to form your own, independent household, to marry and to raise children of your own, does not exist, and will not exist.

tl;dr people are choosing to enjoy however many years they have under the sun with their loved ones - even if it means being poor and destitute - instead of throwing away their years on this Earth toiling for a lifeless corporate culture in what is clearly a collapsing country.
there is always more than one way to look at something and when 'us sheep' continue to look at ourselves as worthless or lazy or whatever, without the benefit of looking at the entire situation, the other side will always come out on top

...that's by design too

good post on an interesting subject

and at the end of the day, it is our lives, to spend that time as we see fit...it's only when we crawl into bed with them, inside the system they've created for us, that's when the real problems begin...

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
people are choosing to enjoy however many years they have under the sun with their loved ones - even if it means being poor and destitute - instead of throwing away their years on this Earth toiling for a lifeless corporate culture in what is clearly a collapsing country.
I'm in this position and have been for years. Not by choice as I'd love to be out there creating, socializing and enjoying life. Hard to if not impossible to come to grips with being limited but I've come to appreciate the people in my life more.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
One thing my brother noted was lower wage places started hiring people at higher wages but didn't necessarily increase the wages of people already there. Many decided to move on to higher wage jobs.

CopperSilverGold

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
One thing my brother noted was lower wage places started hiring people at higher wages but didn't necessarily increase the wages of people already there. Many decided to move on to higher wage jobs.

And more of that will likely happen if minimum wage essentially gets doubled from $7.75 to $15.00/hour. People making let's say $20.00/hour will expect an equitable raise or they will start looking for other work.

Avalon

The most courageous act is to think for yourself
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
Was I the only one to get fired?
no... I am not compliant . Sunday will be my last day. I talked to a guy at the last protest who had a high paying research job. He got fired over mask issue. he didn't make it to the vaccine.

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I believe the Fight For Fifteen is a corporate ploy designed to destroy the smaller companies. Anyone that has employed people know that a $15 wage costs the employer another 20% more and then some.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

Hive, I agree with all of the above but the reality is they are getting income from somewhere. My daughter would love to quit her job and attend to my granddaughters schooling. Her husband has a good job but if she wants to keep a roof and food quitting is not possible. She is lucky in that I can help. So while I applaud people staying home with their children exactly how are they paying bills in a time where inflation is eating us alive.

mnmom

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
And more of that will likely happen if minimum wage essentially gets doubled from $7.75 to $15.00/hour. People making let's say $20.00/hour will expect an equitable raise or they will start looking for other work.
Think about it though.... back when silver was still in our coins people made 1.25 an hour as minimum wage. What are those coins worth now? Thats honest minimum wage.

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
no... I am not compliant . Sunday will be my last day. I talked to a guy at the last protest who had a high paying research job. He got fired over mask issue. he didn't make it to the vaccine.
I just received an email from my bosses boss inviting our 'team' to an impromptu meeting this morning for an 'organizational announcement'. This guy calling a meeting in this fashion is highly irregular. After refusing to take their 'voluntary' and 'confidential' jab survey 3 times this month, this could be a move to push people into taking the jab to keep their job.

I'll keep you posted

Last edited:

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score

wonderfully done,
just ignores reality,

for one this assigns a level of thought to 2 leggahs that is beyond their ability,
secondly, the bills still have to be paid, no matter if they have altruistic motives or not

taking us right back to how are the bills being paid and by whom,

so even if you are weary of some of us talking about it, reality is a bitch, and no amount of touchy feely prose is going to take that away

Last edited:

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
I just received an email from my bosses boss inviting out 'team' to a meeting this morning for an 'organizational announcement' . After refusing to take their 'voluntary' and 'confidential' jab survey 3 times this month, this could be a move to push people into taking the jab to keep their job.

I'll keep you posted
well we know you are not taking the jab :laughing:

the_shootist

Mother Lode Found
Sr Midas Sup +++
Mother Lode
Reaction score
well we know you are not taking the jab :laughing:
They have a better chance of seeing God than ever getting me to take their shite my dear!

D-FENZ

Gold Chaser
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
I believe the Fight For Fifteen is a corporate ploy designed to destroy the smaller companies. Anyone that has employed people know that a $15 wage costs the employer another 20% more and then some.
Prices keep going up and will continue apace. By the time they get around to passing a $15 minimum wage, it won't be enough and no one will want to work for that either.

Yay free everything!

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
while we are on the subject,

who is paying all that back rent that they were busy stiffing their LL's on?
who is paying the college loans they CHOSE to sign for, and are now being forgiven?
who is dropping the ching for those working for a downpayment on that overpriced home?
who is dropping the dough for a downpayment on their vehicle while they blow big dough on vet bills?

so apparently they are all having such high level discussions that this type of menial day to day is not material?
such as is shibu inu going to make it to $1 and make them all rich,

Goldbrix

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Midas Supporter ++
Reaction score
who is paying all that back rent that they were busy stiffing their LL's on?
That right there may be enough to push the American Economy into a CRASH - DEADBEATS.

Stop Making Cents

Silver Miner
Seeker
Reaction score

All good points, and I agree, but let's be honest, this millenial and younger generation for the most part really sucks. THey don't hold the same values as previous generations did. I personally believe that diversity is the issue that has single handedly destroyed this nation. It destroyed sense of brotherhood, common interest, created a whole new industry of grievances which has retarded civic engagement "muh racism" and destroyed law and order "arresting me is racist" etc. Just think of everything our society could focus on if not wasted so much time and energy on diversity and alleged racism everywhere.

Avalon

Midas Member
Midas Supporter ++
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
so apparently they are all having such high level discussions that this type of menial day to day is not material?
such as is shibu inu going to make it to $1 and make them all rich,
menial day to day work is a right of passage.

jimswift

Silver Miner
Reaction score
while we who fund

Without doubt your being stolen from, but that's not what pays for the largess.

$30+ trillion in the rears and $trillions more per year in deficit.

Plus a few hundred $trillion in unpaid liabilities.....then a couple $quadrillion in derivatives propping it all up.

"taking more than you give" comes to mind.

tigerwillow1

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Midas Supporter
Reaction score
millions of America’s retirees are about to get the biggest pay-rise in 39 years.
But not as big as it looks. The federal taxation formula isn't indexed, so part of that increase will just go back to the government as higher taxes.

Scorpio

Founding Member
Board Elder
GIM Hall Of Fame
Reaction score
might want to go check your math dial

using your total 81 million total slaves,

60 million already out to pasture,

peak was long ago, at 75% already sucking off .gov teat now

using the original 62 baseline retirement, which of course they have since changed, and continue to
even factoring in higher age, it is still greater than 50%

I don't have accurate data as to how many have taken early ie 62 instead of staying until their posted rates

Hivemindgammahydra7

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Reaction score
wonderfully done,
just ignores reality,

for one this assigns a level of thought to 2 leggahs that is beyond their ability,
secondly, the bills still have to be paid, no matter if they have altruistic motives or not

taking us right back to how are the bills being paid and by whom,

so even if you are weary of some of us talking about it, reality is a bitch, and no amount to touchy feely prose is going to take that away

You don’t get it.

But I am not surprised.

Mujahideen

Owner Operator
Midas Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm… how much of this is people quitting their job and working for Uber?

Casey Jones

Train left the station...
Gold Chaser
Reaction score
Hmm… how much of this is people quitting their job and working for Uber?
Very little.

First, Uber scarcely pays. You wanna make a few stress-free bucks on Saturday, and you live in a safe area...sure, drive Uber. IF you're all Jabbed up.

If you are trying to live off the earnings...rotsa ruck. Between when I was medically given the boot on the railroad, and when I became eligible for an early pension (two years) I worked Uber. Saying it sucked, insults other sucky jobs.