• Same story, different day...........year ie more of the same fiat floods the world
  • There are no markets
  • "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Why not?

Starting a little room addition today 14 x 30.
Can't do much we have some rain inbound this weekend.
Upon removal of the facia and soffit noticed that the brick layer forgot something on the corner down there.
20160915_103731.jpg

Hopefully about a 3 day project when the rain ends but we need it been pretty dry lately.

don't work too hard sirs.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
" ya think "
Feck! i just used my last available generic post response!

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Gotta hate needing rain and getting rain when you don't need it. Looks like a fun project you got going on.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
image.jpeg
I love that we can take pictures these days quickly so we can show customers what we are running accross while working on their homes. Facia soffit rot on house i am painting.

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Why not?

Upon removal of the facia and soffit noticed that the brick layer forgot something on the corner down there.
View attachment 84850

Hopefully about a 3 day project when the rain ends but we need it been pretty dry lately.

So I give up...what's wrong with the corner? Hard to see much of it in the pic....

Usury

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
View attachment 84853 I love that we can take pictures these days quickly so we can show customers what we are running accross while working on their homes. Facia soffit rot on house i am painting.
If I were the owner, I'd sure ask for a clearer pic than that. Hard to see much other than the paint flaking off in that pic.

searcher

Mother Lode Found
Mother Lode
Sr Site Supporter
Good to see some others posting in this part of the forum..................:beer:

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
I just replaced deck steps for a friend. He just wanted me to replace one board.

Still have the fascia boards to install, but you get the idea.

9ft wide steps w redwood and cedar fascia - wood cost $200!

IMG_0247.JPG
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG

EDIT to add pic

51406521406__AA6F7BD8-526D-4157-BFBA-59E1E5578E61.JPG.jpeg

Last edited:

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Why not?

View attachment 84850

Will, I bet he did that on purpose if you look on other side of corner the fascia is lower was looking for a match there thought he could hide the drop best that way. JMHO

Last edited:

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Quite correct Herchal. The whole other side of the house is missing a run of brick.
Trying to get another pic of a blunder to post so far no dice.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
20160915_142012.jpg

Looks like the original carpenter decided brick mold on a back door was just as overrated as conduit.
Folks this is a big mistake that has most likely allowed lots of moisture into the wall, mold is likely growing in there.
Note the gap between the brick and door jamb.
Not only should it have a wooden brick mold but that should have wrapped in metal and the brick butts to it taking the point where the brick meets the door a good 2.25 inches away from the jamb horizontally.
Busch league.
Shouldn't see 1 inch cut brick going into a doorway like that. If you do call Andial.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
William I'm betting that door just shifted to the hinge side cause it wasn't nailed or screwed to the studs only thing holding it upright was the interior moulding, outside brick moulding was ripped off during install. To tell you the truth, I like it!

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Sir Hedge that little gnome in the flower pot there is staring at your steps like hes wondering if your gonna put some risers on those things.

Either way nice job Mr.

Last edited:

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
barn door frames.jpg

Barn door frames. No nails or screws, pegged tenon and mortise joints. They will get covered with green 3/4" cedar. The angle brace was dado'ed like a half lap joint then pegged as well.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
image.jpg
image.jpg
I bet no one ever came across this before, they cut around the tree. replaced the board a week ago was just tellng Clarisa "it's just going to rot again if you don't address the roof" i said " OMG that is so odd and cute how they did that" she said. Yes i said" do you know what else is cute and odd?" "what" she giggled. Your breast rubbing up against my arm, enough said.

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
20160916_110855.jpg

20160916_111000.jpg

20160916_110917.jpg

Well I thought I had the day off but ended up back on this place we framed and trimmed 4 years ago. About a month after trimming pops and I went back and fixed this room up with knotty alder from head to toe.
Spent 2 weeks in there working are butts off.

This is less a post about the work we did and moar of a cautionary tell of what can go wrong in a tounge and groove cathedral celing.

Long story short mold. Without a proper vapor barrier water in its gaseous state will rise regardless of air temperature.
When it finds its way through the knot holes and little cracks and makes it into the insulation above it will encounter the proper temperature difference and hit the dew point where it will condense back to a liquid state and create perfect conditions for mold growth.

Precautions to keep this from happening include sheetrocking the ceiling before running a wood product up there. Several manufacturers sell vapor barrier in a roll form also. Tyvek is a no go here as it allows gaseous state h2o to permeate.

In this case here the insulation crew had already applied the cloth mesh to underside of the rafter and had blown in cellulose on top. At the time no one had a clue as to what could and would happen.

Now four years later enough moisture had accumulated in the first few inches of cellulose
that the alder had swelled enough to pop loose four ceiling board which were blind nailed using 2.5 inch 16 ga finish nails applied with a gun by yours truly.

Home owner originally wanted to completely tear it all down and start over. However upon calling the insulation company and having it sucked out we discovered the mold wasn't as wide spread as we had thought.

Upon hearing about and seeing his problem he put it on me to find a solution. So considering that I really wasn't interested in tearing the ceiling down I done a bit of research.

My solution was pretty simple.
Remove the mesh containing the mold for access to the wood below. Done that today.
Take a 50 50 bleach water solution and mist the ceiling boards from the top side to kill the active mold.
Then instead of celuose he will go back with spray foam insulation which is vapor impermeable to stop the condensation from ever happening while at the same time giving him far better r value.
Two birds one stone.

Also put him a continuous ridge vent over this section of the house. His call.

This guy is a great dude and sure hate to see him have to deal with all this.
Will update if all doesn't go as planned.

Last edited:

stonedywankanobe

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Andial, That tree's gonna break that house, if it don't fall on it, roots will crack the foundation.
Just got home, will provide updates, Clarisa and I discussed the tree problem LtD.

andial

use default title
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Can't talk now guys got home late, wife is upset.

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Bought a new portable table saw last night. When I checked out, the rather rotund lady that checked me out, (least I thing she was a lady), said I'd love my new saw, and that she loved her portable table saw, however she did not show me pictures, and I did not ask to see any. I have my other saw set up to use dado blades, so this one will just be for mostly straight ripping shorter boards and such.

Because I have my own bandsaw sawmill, I have plenty of lumber to work with. I've had a few guys ask me if I did custom sawing, but I just usually tell them I'm retired, it's just a retirement hobby. My son does quite a lot of woodwork in his shop, and grabs onto most of the oak and a lot of the walnut I get. I'm working with some cherry, (wood), right now, gotta let it season out some more, but making beehives and other small projects. I did plane out and glue up a piece of scrap walnut, wife grabbed that for a cutting board.

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I'm on the fence with the whole breast brushing incident. Slightly skeptical

smooth

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
Bought a new portable table saw last night. When I checked out, the rather rotund lady that checked me out, (least I thing she was a lady), said I'd love my new saw, and that she loved her portable table saw, however she did not show me pictures, and I did not ask to see any. I have my other saw set up to use dado blades, so this one will just be for mostly straight ripping shorter boards and such.

Because I have my own bandsaw sawmill, I have plenty of lumber to work with. I've had a few guys ask me if I did custom sawing, but I just usually tell them I'm retired, it's just a retirement hobby. My son does quite a lot of woodwork in his shop, and grabs onto most of the oak and a lot of the walnut I get. I'm working with some cherry, (wood), right now, gotta let it season out some more, but making beehives and other small projects. I did plane out and glue up a piece of scrap walnut, wife grabbed that for a cutting board.
I always thought it would be nice to have a second table saw set up with just a dado blade.If I remember right I think I have 4 routers. A couple of nice machines and a couple of cheapies. It's nice to have one designated with a flushing bit and another with an 1/8 round over. Or what ever you use the most. When I was doing more furniture type stuff I kept one with a dovetail bit and guide bushing that was set just right for the jig using 5/8's drawer material.

Last edited:

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter
I always thought it would be nice to have a second table saw set up with just a dado blade.If I remember right I think I have 4 routers. A couple of nice machines and a couple of cheapies. It's nice to have one designated with a flushing bit and another with an 1/8 round over. Or what ever you use the most. When I was doing more furniture type stuff I kept one with a dovetail bit and guide bushing that was set just right for the jig using 5/8's drawer material.
Yes, it's the set up that is the pain in the ass. Changing blades on a table saw, then needing the other blade for a couple cuts or a dozen then back to the other blades can consume a lot of time. Being retired it still seemed reasonable to get the portable, just in case. Same with the router, except I only own one of those and have it set up on a router table for about the only thing I presently use it for. Occasionally I do have to adjust the height is all.

As for the boobs thing, I'd admit that it can happen, has happened a few times, very strange and yes other things, but no known pictures were taken and no proof, so I will abstain from telling of such things. Andial can be such a tease.

Hystckndle

Daguerreotype Fanatic
Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
Ya say ??
Looks like a man cave. :)
An UMC ( ultimate man cave ) .
Lighting , even effects, a pole for ????
Security, roll down doors probably
Projection machine. Changing rooms....
No fun and games indeed.
:)
Seriously though....nice work this thread.
Back to work myself.