• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
More pics:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I was tearing apart the kitchen today and found what appears to be a common phenomena, a rodent nest underneath. I found the same thing at my house. But this time there was a pretty well preserved squirrel carcass. It became one with the rock. Anyway, was the highlight of my day so far.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Worked on cleaning up the garage (of the house I'm working on. See previous pics) today...I'm sure some caulk and paint will fix it good as new.

IMG_20190302_124601448.jpg

davycoppitt

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Closed on the house Friday. The house was so dirty and grimy. Didn't look like it had been cleaned for 30 years.

Started right away. In-laws and my faimly helped this weekend. Put some long days in Friday and yesterday.

All ceilins finished (except basement, bathroom, and kitchen). Took (3) coats on ceilings. One coat of primer on all walls.

Carpet ripped out of bathroom and found decent tile under. Can you imagine how gross carpet in a bathroom for 30 years would be?

Anyway already looks like a different house. All the woodwork is starting to pop out and looks like cherry.

Today we will start working on the bathroom and kitchen walls. They had wallpaper so we will need to remove that.

IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1716.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Closed on the house Friday. The house was so dirty and grimy. Didn't look like it had been cleaned for 30 years.

Started right away. In-laws and my faimly helped this weekend. Put some long days in Friday and yesterday.

All ceilins finished (except basement, bathroom, and kitchen). Took (3) coats on ceilings. One coat of primer on all walls.

Carpet ripped out of bathroom and found decent tile under. Can you imagine how gross carpet in a bathroom for 30 years would be?

Anyway already looks like a different house. All the woodwork is starting to pop out and looks like cherry.

Today we will start working on the bathroom and kitchen walls. They had wallpaper so we will need to remove that.

View attachment 125380 View attachment 125381
I've got a good guess after working in 80 year old smegma infested quarters.

engineear

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Wow!! Looks great, especially with the sliding glass door, kept original look of the doors. Is that a bulletin board on the front? Room enough for a small man cave...sit with the auto of your choice while sharing a cold one with some friends...nice!

Ironpig

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Wow!! Looks great, especially with the sliding glass door, kept original look of the doors. Is that a bulletin board on the front? Room enough for a small man cave...sit with the auto of your choice while sharing a cold one with some friends...nice!
In front is an Anderson window. I hadn't taken the stickers out of the window yet. The woman uses it as an art studio in the summer.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Some pretty hefty foundation work was done. Here the footing is on ledge for the first fifteen feet, then dropped off five feet for the last five feet.
That was fun, trying to lay up blocks reaching down into a hole two feet wide! LOL!

View attachment 125415
Cool how you were able to keep the old doors. The one I'm on has a cement pad poured obviously after the construction and the frame's just sitting on the ground. Or was when there still was one.

Ironpig

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Cool how you were able to keep the old doors. The one I'm on has a cement pad poured obviously after the construction and the frame's just sitting on the ground. Or was when there still was one.
Old doors had to have the bottoms cut off. I made kinda like a breadboard end with a 1x8 to get the length back. Floor inside was poured after the fact and bowed out the wall worse then the dirt had. The back of garage sits higher than grade at front, so it needed the reinforced block wall to hold in the dirt and concrete floor.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Outside of the garage wall I posted yesterday.

Looking at the house roof from the attic. You can see the old wooden shakes and the white was the old soffit before an addition was added on (now the kitchen/dining room). Also note no ridge beam.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the nasty beam fixed:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The insulators came today to vacuum out the old rockwool insulation and spray foam the attic: super vacuum the likes I had not seen before:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Today I was patching roof and wall holes:

We pulled 2 possums out of the crawlspace. Today we found a BIG ONE. No pics.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Remnants of previous sub inhabitants:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
The lovely fascia board...

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Been on this old fixer upper for the last month

IMG_1335.JPG

They had a icemaker leak and it caused a bit of buckling in some hardwood and some cracking in the tile. Insurance paid to tear out and replace near 5k sf.

IMG_1358.JPG

The old stuff was glued to the osb so getting it up was quite a task. We cut it every 6 inches or so and used a big hammer drill on a cart to pop it out. We've loaded up and hauled off over 20 thousand pounds of wood and tile on this project.

Will likely be here a few more weeks yet. Still like laying mebe a thousand feet of floor and trimming some stuffs.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 126012

They had a icemaker leak and it caused a bit of buckling in some hardwood and some cracking in the tile. Insurance paid to tear out and replace near 5k sf.

View attachment 126013

The old stuff was glued to the osb so getting it up was quite a task. We cut it every 6 inches or so and used a big hammer drill on a cart to pop it out. We've loaded up and hauled off over 20 thousand pounds of wood and tile on this project.

Will likely be here a few more weeks yet. Still like laying mebe a thousand feet of floor and trimming some stuffs.
It'll be nice to get to layin' after all that rippin', scoopin' & haulin'. What kinda floor they gonna put down?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Neat patchwork. I love the look of this old stuff.

That breaker panel in the bedroom is for the garage!
IMG_20190311_145908089.jpg

4" X 6" studs with ...puzzle framing?
IMG_20190311_154554600.jpg

Gonna move the wall into the living room and frame in a walk-in closet. Also going to knock down the other (back) wall to put in a pocket door.

Pulled out the old cast iron tub had to re-frame the walls. Termites got to the studs.

IMG_20190311_101625395.jpg

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter

View attachment 126012

View attachment 126013

Stately adobe. My back hurts just reading about the tear out.

BigJim#1-8

Silver Member
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++

View attachment 126012

View attachment 126013

Wow!
How the knees holdin' up?
Glad you're busy & posting.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Sr Site Supporter
Neat patchwork. I love the look of this old stuff.

That breaker panel in the bedroom is for the garage!
View attachment 126015

4" X 6" studs with ...puzzle framing?
View attachment 126014

Gonna move the wall into the living room and frame in a walk-in closet. Also going to knock down the other (back) wall to put in a pocket door.

Pulled out the old cast iron tub had to re-frame the walls. Termites got to the studs.

View attachment 126016
Looks like you brought the wrong tools to the job......I'm thinking a trackhoe and dumpster would be more cost effective

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Wall opened up for pocket door

Standing in what will be the master bedroom walk-in closet:

A first: Mason jar lid hole cover...

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Laundry Rooms Top the List of Most Wanted Home Features
BY CARMEL FORD on MARCH 7, 2019• (3)

Nearly all home buyers – 91 percent – want a laundry room included in their home, more than any other home or community feature, according to NAHB’s report What Home Buyers Really Want (2019 Edition). The report is based on a national survey that asks recent and prospective home buyers (people who bought homes in the previous three years or are planning to do so in the next three years) about the features they want in a home and a community.

One question in the survey asks them to rank features using a four-tier scale of essential/must have, desirable, indifferent, and do not want. Figure 1 shows the top ten features with the highest combination of essential/must have (unlikely to buy a home without it) and desirable (would be seriously influenced to buy home if included). Not only does a laundry room top this list, but when ranking features solely by the essential/must have shares, a laundry room tops the list again with 54 percent of home buyers.

After a laundry room, the most wanted feature is ENERGY STAR windows, with 89 percent of home buyers rating it as essential/must have or desirable. It is important to note that two other ENERGY STAR-related features make the top ten list: ENERGY STAR appliances was rated essential/must have or desirable by 86 percent of home buyers and an ENERGY STAR rating for the whole home was rated essential/must have or desirable by 81 percent. The fact that these features made the top ten list indicates that energy efficiency is very important to home buyers.

Two other features on the top ten list are outdoor: 87 percent of home buyers want a patio and 85 percent want exterior lighting. Another theme present is the desire for spaces with organizational functionality: 85 percent view garage storage as essential/must have or desirable while 83 percent feel the same way about walk-in pantries. The other most wanted items include a ceiling fan (with an essential/desirable share of 85 percent), hardwood flooring (83 percent), and a double sink in the kitchen (81 percent).

To get more facts about what home buyers really want, please visit BuilderBooks.com to pick up the latest edition.

http://eyeonhousing.org/2019/03/laundry-rooms-top-the-list-of-most-wanted-home-features/

stonedywankanobe

.409'er
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Great to see you back posting a bit again, stonedy. I've been missing the photos of yer projects. Hope yer signal strength holds up now and you can continue.

BF
Thanks BF'er . Supposedly they are building a new tower in my neck o the woods. We shall see

Wow!
How the knees holdin' up?
Glad you're busy & posting.
I've got the knees of a 40 year old BiggyJ and those are great knees on a gold and silver board.

Seriously though Big. I wear knee pro three articulating pads and they're good stuff.

Sawr these at lumber one in mayflower today and thought of you know who.

IMG_1429.JPG

When silver goes to twenny I'm sending him a pair.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Thanks BF'er . Supposedly they are building a new tower in my neck o the woods. We shall see

I've got the knees of a 40 year old BiggyJ and those are great knees on a gold and silver board.

Seriously though Big. I wear knee pro three articulating pads and they're good stuff.

Sawr these at lumber one in mayflower today and thought of you know who.

View attachment 126103

When silver goes to twenny I'm sending him a pair.
We should pick up a pair for Irons too so he can shovel his driveway

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Framed master BR closet walls & pocket door in background. We went back under the house for the 3rd time to shore up the floors.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Mister that nailer on the floor there. Tell me that's a Hitachi na83a2 yes?
Yes sir. Have probably had it for gosh, gotta be over 15 years now. Still shoots like an absolute champ. Gotta be careful how you load the "racks" though. Has a tendency to air ball if you don't make sure the heads are properly overlapped or the plastic is sticking up all wonky on the nails.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I couldn't have told you the model #. Took a pic for ya today StOnEy.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Coming along!