• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding high finance, politics, constructionist Constitution, and mental masturbation of all types"

workin man

pitw

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
The stories I've heard being around a couple industry's who used them. Old guys in the tire shops are rare but fun to listen to. I still got them on me old KW but I take em to a place with a cage. I can forsee them telling me to enjoy sex and travel in the future If I ask.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I've never worked in a shop that had a cage. I don't think I'd trust one as the guy in the video did. Two things the old timers told me; Always check for wear caused by running a tire flat (duals you sometimes don't notice right away), it wears the rings so they don't seat as well. When inflating, give it 5 psi and make sure the ring is going where it's supposed to go, and bump it in place with a hammer if needed. Then proceed with air.
Of course you want to air it up with one of those long dual air chucks so your hand isn't in the path if it decides to fly off.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got finished with the painting today. Thought I'd show some of final product with our caulk/paint prep shown in my post a few pages back in that old remodel.

Just a shot to show the overall look: all new baseboards, old casings remained:

THe method I'm using is to run the blue tape on the floor about 3/32 -1/8" away from the base. Caulk that, then paint. ThenI ran the Frog tape on top of the painting base about 3/16" away from the wall. Caulked that, wiping it off thin, then painting the wall , letting that dry then pulling the tape. The final result is clean and the feeling of peeling off the tape is rewarding and fun.

On the tile floor:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Been a few weeks and we've been battling the heat down here. Triple diggies high humidity, generally unbearable stuff. 6 hour days are about all we want lately... just kinda been pecking away at it and trying to stay alive.

Few weeks ago here setting up for porch beams.
View attachment 139257

Ready for rafters

View attachment 139258

Main span, 76' long 32' wide 8 pitch.

View attachment 139259

Back porch span, felt like it were 200 degrees up there.

View attachment 139260

Took me 4 days to deck and felt it, wouldnt let pops up there no feckin way. 145 sheets of osb and 5 1000 sq foot rolls of underlayment plus one shit ton of slapper staples.

Tough couple of days for sure but silver was going up every time id check my phone and that kept me going, feeling stout.

Were a few days from winding her on down now, gearing up for the next one.

View attachment 139252

Boy that roof looks great StOnEy. Intimidating too. Stay cool bro.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
To mount my pipe BBQ pit, I drove a piece of 2" pipe about 30" in the ground, then build a dogleg out of structural 90's so I can swivel it around and have positioning options when it rains.
dogleg 001.JPG

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
To mount my pipe BBQ pit, I drove a piece of 2" pipe about 30" in the ground, then build a dogleg out of structural 90's so I can swivel it around and have positioning options when it rains. View attachment 139328
Bad ass Hoarder.
Clean work. What's the finish on the deck?

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
Bad ass Hoarder.
Clean work. What's the finish on the deck?
I used Armstrong-Clark "cedar" oil based stain, brushed on, wiped off. The deck is covered and North facing. I sealed the end grain before screwing the facing board in place.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Slight thread drift here guys but as i type come to think of it did seem like work at the time, so

A few years back one of my good friends, happens to be a woman, bought me a gift while shopping with my gf knowing that im a metal bug.

It was a bag of Todd Hoffman pay dirt that came in a plastic sac inside a little burlap bag. Said on the front "Guaranteed to contain gold"... she got a kick out of giving it to me, we laughed, smoked a j, then i put it away and forgot about it.

Well i found it last Saturday and decided to prospect said dirt.

View attachment 139267

First little bit i poured out, nug!

View attachment 139264

Moar!

View attachment 139265

Haven't weighed it but here was the final haul from the Hoffman dirt.

View attachment 139268

Not much i know but it was kinda cool, wish she would have grabbed more.
The first bag is always free...next thing you know your pawning your tools for a hit a' gold. :p

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I used Armstrong-Clark "cedar" oil based stain, brushed on, wiped off. The deck is covered and North facing. I sealed the end grain before screwing the facing board in place.
Where do you get that product?

hammerhead

Morphing
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got finished with the painting today. Thought I'd show some of final product with our caulk/paint prep shown in my post a few pages back in that old remodel.

Just a shot to show the overall look: all new baseboards, old casings remained:

THe method I'm using is to run the blue tape on the floor about 3/32 -1/8" away from the base. Caulk that, then paint. ThenI ran the Frog tape on top of the painting base about 3/16" away from the wall. Caulked that, wiping it off thin, then painting the wall , letting that dry then pulling the tape. The final result is clean and the feeling of peeling off the tape is rewarding and fun.

On the tile floor:

Consider that stolen.

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter
When I was a mechanic for a construction company back in early 80's I sometimes fixed flats on split rim trucks. No cage, I didn't air them up, just left them on the shop floor for the Mexicans to inflate when they got back from jobs. "You want your tire, there it is". The boss there told me of a time when someone inflated one and the rim went thru a shop roof, perfect circle like it was cut out with a torch.
I watched a B-52 tire blow one time. They are at 500 PSI. It was in a cage, but... it did not help. He ded.

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
You don't use ether to "inflate" a tire, you use it to seat the bead. This was not done when tires were made in USA. Tires nowadys come from places like Indonesia and they squish all the tires into a shipping container to import them, resulting in misshapen tires. These misshapen tires do not contact the bead when mounted so the ether explosion is needed to shape the beads together. Wire brushing the bead of the wheel is only done on tubeless tires because the rusty surface of the wheel causes slow leaks. On split rims, tires always have tubes so this is not an issue.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

mayhem

My name is Perrin. Who are you?
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
Remember when new tires came wrapped in paper?

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

GOLDBRIX

God,Donald Trump,most in GIM2 I Trust. OTHERS-meh
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
You don't use ether to "inflate" a tire, you use it to seat the bead. This was not done when tires were made in USA. Tires nowadys come from places like Indonesia and they squish all the tires into a shipping container to import them, resulting in misshapen tires. These misshapen tires do not contact the bead when mounted so the ether explosion is needed to shape the beads together. Wire brushing the bead of the wheel is only done on tubeless tires because the rusty surface of the wheel causes slow leaks. On split rims, tires always have tubes so this is not an issue.

Brother hoarder when I was doing split rims , it did not matter about the tube , I still wire brushed the split ring and the rim it was attached to...

It’s that split ring that if it’s not set on that rim properly , it can blow...
I’ve even rubbed a little axel grease on the real rusty parts...

On regular tires , I always cleaned the bead around the rim and tire and applied a heavy swabbing of tire bead lube...

If the tire lube didn’t work , seat the bead , I used a lot of axel grease and on the Coats 40-40 one can hit a foot pedal and a huge blast of air comes up from the bottom of the tire and that usually worked....

When all else failed I used an inflatable belt that wrapped around the tire and squeezed it to help seat it on the bead...

There’s usually a dot on a tire that when mounted is lined up with the valve stem hole on the rim....

For 100 extra points , why is the dot and valve stem hole lined up when mounted?.....(I will wager 50% of my stack that only DodgerDave knows)...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
Balance mark, I'll PM your my address for you to send me my 50% of your stack!

Ahhh chit , that was to fecking easy....

I’m down to a short stack and we were playing penny poker but yeah , send me that addy or just call me at BR 549..

Lt Dan

Gold Pirate
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++

I’m down to a short stack and we were playing penny poker but yeah , send me that addy or just call me at BR 549..
Geez cracker that one was so easy to find with a search even if us old guys didn't already know. Only reason I even looked it up was for conformation. whistle:

Unca Walt

Midas Member
Midas Member
Site Supporter

Summonabench. UglyT beat me to it by a fargin half-hour.

I am Brand X <-- For those who are second best...

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Silver Miner
Site Supporter ++
You all would be surprised at the number of people , even tire techs , who do not know that...

Nor can they explain what these numbers and letters mean...

P 275/35R17

Load Range E

Speed Rating V

Max Tire Pressure vs Mfg Tire Pressure

Understeer/Oversteer in relation to tire pressure

I know I’m forgetting something...

In the meantime , watch this while drinking coffee and eating donuts...

Silver

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
You all would be surprised at the number of people , even tire techs , who do not know that...

Nor can they explain what these numbers and letters mean...

P 275/35R17

Load Range E

Speed Rating V

Max Tire Pressure vs Mfg Tire Pressure

Understeer/Oversteer in relation to tire pressure

IMO, one of the most important codes on a tire is the manufacture date, especially for large tires where the age is more important than the tread.

tire code.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

mayhem

My name is Perrin. Who are you?
Silver Miner
Site Supporter
The date the tire was made.
I personally know someone who knows how to read the code. No he never showed me how to tell. But he was a Purchasing Manager for a large Corp that had a dozen outlets. Said that half the tires we buy today are already close to their safe limits dates.

He said it takes almost two years for a new tread design from design, manufacturing, shipping from Asia, and then stocking in all the retail outlets before the Promo starts. So that would leave thousands of tires stored in containers from the first tire to the number was enough to begin stocking stores.

Everything is lies... We do live in the Matrix.

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got hired to help out on a lakehouse project. The client had squirrels chewing through the soffits so they had us put up sheet metal over it. Kinda hokey but whatever, I'm getting paid per hr. It's a 24 year old log home. Thought of you when I saw it Hoarder:

[

IMG_20190910_101848246.jpg
IMG_20190910_102303126.jpg
IMG_20190910_134552386.jpg

hoarder

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
I hope the roof eave drip line is past that walkway. If not, all that water splashes back on the bottom logs. WTF did they put those window headers in for??

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I hope the roof eave drip line is past that walkway. If not, all that water splashes back on the bottom logs. WTF did they put those window headers in for??
Place is built like crud. Ya those window "headers" had me shaking my head. There just super caulked 1x4s plastered to the logs.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
]Got hired to help out on a lakehouse project. The client had squirrels chewing through the soffits so they had us put up sheet metal over it.

They do that so they can live inside, I had them in my chimney. You have to make them leave before you block them out or you just started a new problem. If you sheet metal them in they will just chew their way out somewhere else. Ah ahm speaking from experience..

The flying squirrels that decided to live in my chimney really wanted to stay there. I'd block them out with a board and they would chew back in next to the repair. Or if I blocked the hole while they were inside they would freak out and chew their way out of a corner. They had one hole they liked so I uncovered it and covered all the rest really good with hardware cloth backed wood. They happily used the main hole to come and go while I watched them and got a pattern, then I made a wood plug out of a dowel wrapped in duct tape with a 4 inch square of hardware cloth on the end of it and a duct tape flap I could slide the blade of a putty knife in nice and snug. Then I secured the putty knife to the end of my 30 foot Longarm painting pole and waited.

When 2 or 3 left the hole at dusk I would reach the plug up to the hole and slap it in with the putty knife. If there was one trapped inside pretty soon the plug would start bouncing and spinning while he tried to get it out. After a lot of work he would get the plug out and it would fall to the ground.
Then he would go off and do squirrel things in the woods. I would go get the plug and wrap it a little tighter with duct tape and slap it back in the hole. Sometime during the night they would come home and spend a noisy hour trying to get the plug out so they could get back in and eventually they would get it,. I harrassed them like this all summer and towards the end many had already given up and moved out but there was 1 left.

I messed with him and even made the plug easy to push out and watched him do it so I could tell I was only dealing with one squirrel. Then I made a big tight fitting plug with a custom cut piece of hardware cloth screwed to it. On the last night I watched the boy spin, fight and finally push the easy plug out and scurry away. Then I coated the final plug with liquid nails and pushed it in the hole carefully lining up the hardware cloth to fit into the trim corners, then slapped it in good. The next day I painted over it all with a roller and it don't look too bad.

So far it's been 4 years or so and they have not made any progress of getting back in.

:meditation:

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
They do that so they can live inside, I had them in my chimney. You have to make them leave before you block them out or you just started a new problem. If you sheet metal them in they will just chew their way out somewhere else. Ah ahm speaking from experience..

The flying squirrels that decided to live in my chimney really wanted to stay there. I'd block them out with a board and they would chew back in next to the repair. Or if I blocked the hole while they were inside they would freak out and chew their way out of a corner. They had one hole they liked so I uncovered it and covered all the rest really good with hardware cloth backed wood. They happily used the main hole to come and go while I watched them and got a pattern, then I made a wood plug out of a dowel wrapped in duct tape with a 4 inch square of hardware cloth on the end of it and a duct tape flap I could slide the blade of a putty knife in nice and snug. Then I secured the putty knife to the end of my 30 foot Longarm painting pole and waited.

When 2 or 3 left the hole at dusk I would reach the plug up to the hole and slap it in with the putty knife. If there was one trapped inside pretty soon the plug would start bouncing and spinning while he tried to get it out. After a lot of work he would get the plug out and it would fall to the ground.
Then he would go off and do squirrel things in the woods. I would go get the plug and wrap it a little tighter with duct tape and slap it back in the hole. Sometime during the night they would come home and spend a noisy hour trying to get the plug out so they could get back in and eventually they would get it,. I harrassed them like this all summer and towards the end many had already given up and moved out but there was 1 left.

I messed with him and even made the plug easy to push out and watched him do it so I could tell I was only dealing with one squirrel. Then I made a big tight fitting plug with a custom cut piece of hardware cloth screwed to it. On the last night I watched the boy spin, fight and finally push the easy plug out and scurry away. Then I coated the final plug with liquid nails and pushed it in the hole carefully lining up the hardware cloth to fit into the trim corners, then slapped it in good. The next day I painted over it all with a roller and it don't look too bad.

So far it's been 4 years or so and they have not made any progress of getting back in.

:meditation:
They got rid of the varmites first with one way exit cones made of hardware cloth.

The squirrels must shoot you dirty looks now.

Irons

Deep Sixed
Sr Site Supporter
Mother Lode
They got rid of the varmites first with one way exit cones made of hardware cloth.

The squirrels must shoot you dirty looks now.
Those exit cones work good, so does a PVC pipe that covers the hole and angles to the ground. The PVC trick is really good for bats. Problem is I don't have a ladder that reached the top of the chimney so I would have to borrow Steve and his long ass ladder.
And I must admit I enjoyed tormenting them from the ground. They earned it!

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
IMG_20190912_124103138.jpg
IMG_20190912_124048234_BURST001.jpg

newmisty

Splodey-Headed
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++