• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Scratchin my chin a bit on this one.... super busy with other things so I haven't yet put time into thinking about it but she wants to seal the hole to make pest proof but would like to make the area accessible for the future. When over there looking at it I said I'm not seeing any easy solution and I'm thinking that just sealing it up and tearing through it in the future would probably be cheaper than engineering what you're looking for. That's pretty much where I keep coming back to in my mind. Anybody see any solutions that might work?
One thing I thought of was making a little fox with cutouts for the pipes that would them slide together but that's going to be too much work with the different pipes here and there. I think spray foam is going to be my friend here.

And this one too...not nearly as bad.

I don't know how but it got turned sideways after resizing it

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
These f'n guys

20201015_152458~2.jpg

Last edited:

BackwardsEngineeer

Total curmudgeon
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
New, thats so funny...

had an inspection yesterday and had 3 double pole square d's, 60 amp had #10 wire, 40 amp had #10 and they had #12 on a 25amp.... seller says to me they have always worked just fine...

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Ready to rock & ROLL!

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Got the final piece of ductwork in. Its just a little 3 foot return, but took quite some time to make since there is a 12" offset. I'm terrible with ductwork, so I had our shop guy help me make the offset. It has a telescoping flange that fits in the wall for fire rating. Lights are in and yesterday I started cleaning.

IMG_2823.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Got the final piece of ductwork in. Its just a little 3 foot return, but took quite some time to make since there is a 12" offset. I'm terrible with ductwork, so I had our shop guy help me make the offset. It has a telescoping flange that fits in the wall for fire rating. Lights are in and yesterday I started cleaning.

View attachment 184970
Steep learning curve fabricating some of that stuff. I often study cardboard packaging to help wrap my head around the engineering and forethought.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
New construction in a $400,000 home...

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Just got done painting a garage for the son of the realtor who has fed me a lot of work. Gave them a smoking deal and had my heart stolen by the two kids, 5 and 8. Omg so precious they melted my calloused heart.

They only wanted the walls done but I upsold them doing the doors and baseboards to which made it a lot easier and helped take the sting out of the discount I gave to them. I definitely underestimated how long it would take to cut in with the texture. But ended up cutting down a roller cover to make it square and then using a piece of cardboard against the ceiling in rolling against that and work perfect.
So after you put down your piece of tape 1/8 inch away from the baseboard all you need is the thinnest layer of caulking. Just enough to seal up against the edge of the tape really. I use the clear caulk and after wiping it looks like there was nothing there.

20201020_144035~2.jpg
20201020_153616~2.jpg

20201020_154114~2.jpg
20201020_221506~2.jpg

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Looking real sharp there New. After cutting in all our trim I feel your pain. It seems like it drags on forever.
I tried a couple different brushes, a modified brush( cut the hairs at an angle to help stiffen and get better angle) and two different style rollers before taking the time to modify a roller cover not knowing if it would work or not.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Went to a new place today. Car dealership's service center that saves all its oil and heats the building with it. They get so much oil they have snowmelt just about everywhere. We did a place just like this a few years back. Same setup. I went out there for a leaking air eliminator, but all their controls and pumps were all sorts of screwed up. Got them all straightened out. Pretty insane system. I estimated they had about 22,000 feet of infloor tubing.

Been going to allot of new customers who are sick of other mechanical company's not being able to fix there crap. All the old timers are retiring and nobody can take their place.

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Went to a new place today. Car dealership's service center that saves all its oil and heats the building with it. They get so much oil they have snowmelt just about everywhere. We did a place just like this a few years back. Same setup. I went out there for a leaking air eliminator, but all their controls and pumps were all sorts of screwed up. Got them all straightened out. Pretty insane system. I estimated they had about 22,000 feet of infloor tubing.

Been going to allot of new customers who are sick of other mechanical company's not being able to fix there crap. All the old timers are retiring and nobody can take their place.

View attachment 185375
View attachment 185376
View attachment 185377
And I thought figuring out unique construction challenges were difficult, troubleshooting systems like that definitely takes a balanced range of skills and damn good focus.
Its nice to be that guy aint it?

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

View attachment 185375
View attachment 185376
View attachment 185377
my mechanic burns the used oil. You'd think he'd give people a credit for it but no. He charges for disposal. Some state law or something.

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
And I thought figuring out unique construction challenges were difficult, troubleshooting systems like that definitely takes a balanced range of skills and damn good focus.
Its nice to be that guy aint it?
I got lucky. I did my whole apprenticeship with one of the greatest HVAC mechanics out there. He was just waiting for a guy like me to pass all his knowledge onto. I can still call him any hour of the day and he will answer and walk me through whatever I need.

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
I got lucky. I did my whole apprenticeship with one of the greatest HVAC mechanics out there. This was just waiting for a guy like me to pass all his knowledge onto. I can still call him any hour of the day and he will answer and walk me through whatever I need.
You sir struck gold! Invaluable.

oldgaranddad

Platinum Bling
Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter ++
A little hard to display my work.

I’ve been taking ancient programs written in FORTRAN, C, COBOL and putting them in Docker containers so they can run in the cloud.

These millennial hot shot programmers don’t want touch these 25 to 30 year old programs. Heck! The last time I programmed in these languages was probably when these programs were written. Today’s program was older than my son who is now a cyber security administrator for a well known B2B site.

Nothing like updating code written for 16 and 32 bit operating systems to run in modern 64 bit architectures. Young guys claim it will take weeks, I knock out two to three programs a day and that includes replacing deprecated functions and subroutines. Then I have to teach these arrogant kids how to run the containers in kubernetes in the cloud.

Not sure why we have these young guys around except to write programs that I will eventually have to remediate in 10 years from now.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

I’ve been taking ancient programs written in FORTRAN, C, COBOL and putting them in Docker containers so they can run in the cloud.
Man I had to stop reading and restructure my brain after reading that first paragraph!

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

These millennial hot shot programmers don’t want touch these 25 to 30 year old programs. Heck! The last time I programmed in these languages was probably when these programs were written. Today’s program was older than my son who is now a cyber security administrator for a well known B2B site.

Nothing like updating code written for 16 and 32 bit operating systems to run in modern 64 bit architectures. Young guys claim it will take weeks, I knock out two to three programs a day and that includes replacing deprecated functions and subroutines. Then I have to teach these arrogant kids how to run the containers in kubernetes in the cloud.

Not sure why we have these young guys around except to write programs that I will eventually have to remediate in 10 years from now.
....anyone can take old programs on punch cards and make them into paper air planes so they can go into the clouds........ :).........or do you tie the end of a reel to reel on a helium balloon and launch it .........but in all seriousness they need to get "old" guys to do these updates/revisions while they can

Last edited:

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Fixin someone elses mess... As usual.
20201013_131753~2.jpg
20201022_173147~2.jpg

20201013_130431~2.jpg
20201022_164647~2.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

Silver

Platinum Bling
Midas Supporter
Platinum Bling

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
That's a good solution - easy access and covers the space.
Thanks. Threw on a coat of hot mud to fill the voids. Her main concern was keeping pests out.

Goldhedge

Site Mgr
Sr Site Supporter
GIM Hall Of Fame
3rd picture down... that 1/2" copper water pipe... did you put any metal plate in to block someone nailing or screwing something through it??

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Passed all inspections and the final inspection this week. Few more odds and ends and we are finished. Have the two bedroom all staged and pictures taken so we will have them forever. We finally did it. Completed building remodel in 8 months while both working full time.

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_2979.jpg

engineear

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Site Supporter ++
Passed all inspections and the final inspection this week. Few more odds and ends and we are finished. Have the two bedroom all staged and pictures taken so we will have them forever. We finally did it. Completed building remodel in 8 months while both working full time.

View attachment 186570
View attachment 186571
What's that white stuff on the ground...old insulation? Brrrrrr

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
davy,

nicely done,
to me that embodies what amerika is all about,
an idea, you take the risk, then put in the work, and now can look back and state I did that

good for you

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Part of some recent repair work i did

[
20201026_173525~2.jpg
20201027_125106~2.jpg
20201103_135403~2.jpg

20201103_164710~2.jpg

20201105_140305~2.jpg

20201029_153834~2.jpg

20201029_141714~4.jpg
20201030_182156~2.jpg

20201105_140426~3.jpg
20201105_171325~2.jpg

:finished::meditation:

Last edited:

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
This wasn't me. I'd hate to find this though.

https://www.masslive.com/police-fir...r-house-possibly-more-than-a-century-old.html

Human remains have been found at a house in Winchester, prosecutors said Monday.

The Middlesex County District Attorney Marian Ryan’s office said the remains were found Thursday at a residence. The bones were discovered by contractors doing demolition work at the home.

Ryan’s office said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has confirmed that the bones are human.

Preliminary information suggests there may be multiple skeletal remains on the property, and they appear to have been there for an extended period of time, possibly more than 100 years, Ryan’s office said.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
misty, very clean work. It must take alot of patience to put tape on. Did you regrout or caulk those joints?
Thank you very much HH. Yes patience is absolutely a key virtue. It only came with experience though. Im quite impetuous by nature.

Sanded caulk. The stuff tooled like buttah! Great stuff to work with. I wish I could have showed you the magic I worked Omni glass tile and grout where did crack and separated about a half inch but the pictures didn't come out. I use this stuff and filled in a crack and it literally looks like part of the glass tile.

UltraClear_Cart_18388~2.jpg

------------
Back to the sanded caulk, I was fortunate that the only colors that we're anywhere close the Big Box store happened to be a great match. However the grout wasn't uniform throughout so in a couple of areas I had to mix two different colors together to get it to match well. Talk about patience.

20201030_175911~2.jpg

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Today worked at a building that was looted during the riots. The building owner hired an armed guard to stand outside the entire day to keep the workers safe. They have to pay him from 6:00AM to 6:00 PM. Every day I get less and less desire to use my skills to keep this city running.

IMG_3282 (1).jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

davycoppitt

Gold Member
Gold Chaser
Sr Site Supporter
Service calls are pretty much non existent these days, so they have me running 4 construction jobs right now. Here are some minisplits for a bank install last week. Engineered plan had them all blowing right into each other. Built a rack out of strut, so they would all blow away from each other. On hot days they would have tripped on high head pressure.

Pain in the ass they are.

20201124_115749_resized.jpg

20201124_133249_resized.jpg