• "Spreading the ideas of freedom loving people on matters regarding metals, finance, politics, government and many other topics"

workin man

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Service calls are pretty much non existent these days, so they have me running 4 construction jobs right now. Here are some minisplits for a bank install last week. Engineered plan had them all blowing right into each other. Built a rack out of strut, so they would all blow away from each other. On hot days they would have tripped on high head pressure.

Pain in the ass they are.

View attachment 190530
View attachment 190531
Usually when we did our final inspections we would have the appropriate engineer inspect each system, it provided a opportunity to point out field issues and fixes to young engineers so they became better in the future and got them on record as approving the final installation....

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
I get that tazz, but a faulty install is a faulty install,

if one is to teach, then one should show them a properly installed system as Davy states, then show them the plan and how they were wrong

then too, many times they spec a piece of equip without looking for direction of fan etc, only outside dims and capacity.

orientation is a big thing, doesn't matter resi or commercial

newmisty

Transcending the 5 Elements
Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
Like @Ironpig says, " Nothings easy, nothin'."

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++

if one is to teach, then one should show them a properly installed system as Davy states, then show them the plan and how they were wrong

then too, many times they spec a piece of equip without looking for direction of fan etc, only outside dims and capacity.

The "engineer's" heads are likely to swollen at this point to be taught anything anymore.

ttazzman

Midas Member
Midas Member
Midas Supporter

...LOL...i think my post didnt come out right.....we fixed their mistakes during the installs but then made them approve the revised installation.....we always made the engineers inspect and sign off on all trades that were in the engineered drawings...structureal thru electrical.......IE field inspect and approve the
"as-built" drawings that way we were protected if it was a life safety issue. and they got a free lesson...what was really fun was when it cost more to correct their mistakes as that brought on a whole new set of issues because then the expected you to fix their mistakes on your dime because we should have known there "intent"

Scorpio

Hunter of Chin Li's Boo Hoo Flu
Founding Member
Board Elder
Site Mgr
Midas Supporter ++
yep, you bring up a great point,

as many companies hope and pray for just this situation,
they install the original, then tell them it won't work,

then comes the change orders

hammerhead

Morphing
Midas Member
Midas Supporter
Today worked at a building that was looted during the riots. The building owner hired an armed guard to stand outside the entire day to keep the workers safe. They have to pay him from 6:00AM to 6:00 PM. Every day I get less and less desire to use my skills to keep this city running.

View attachment 189397
View attachment 189398
I couldn't bring myself to bid on rehab projects that were through HUD grants after realizing that 95% were just putting money into failing neighbourhoods. Sure the house may look better and he safer but the value never increased.

newmisty

Midas Member
Site Supporter ++
...LOL...i think my post didnt come out right.....we fixed their mistakes during the installs but then made them approve the revised installation.....we always made the engineers inspect and sign off on all trades that were in the engineered drawings...structureal thru electrical.......IE field inspect and approve the
"as-built" drawings that way we were protected if it was a life safety issue. and they got a free lesson...what was really fun was when it cost more to correct their mistakes as that brought on a whole new set of issues because then the expected you to fix their mistakes on your dime because we should have known there "intent"
That's how I read it ttaz.

spinalcracker

On a mail train.
Sr Site Supporter
Platinum Bling
when I first saw this random photo , my first thought was that there are to many stringers for those steps

but hey , I’m a cement finisher , not a carpenter , although I can set step forms and pour and finish them too , along with curb and gutter forms , sidewalk forms , etc....

so I thought I would ask the experts

734A2201-0668-4727-ACFD-0B5FE11ACBAA.jpeg